FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Where'd the message link go?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon5.gif  Where'd the message link go? [message #160083] Wed, 22 July 2009 23:05 Go to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat
In flat view beside message subject there is [message #xxxx].
This one used to have a link to message, which made sense.
Now it doesn't, which doesn't make as much sense counting there are links to next and previous messages on the page then why not to this one to be able to link it from somehwere.
Is there any good reason for this? Was kinda handy!
Or can this be adjusted in settings (I don't run a forum yet again)

Sorry if this has been asked, I did a quick search but found nothing relevant and I can't really spend half a night to make sure it has been discussed.

P.S. On the other hand the collapse message is a killer new feature, you rule guys!

Lady of Avalon

[Updated on: Wed, 22 July 2009 23:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Where'd the message link go? [message #160084 is a reply to message #160083] Wed, 22 July 2009 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the other hand there is no collapse in tree view as I see and the tree view doesn't have a direct link to message either any more but javascript instead, which kinda makes the link to message even more desirable unless you removed the possibility to link to it from outside, but why in the world?

P.P.S. The text area resizers are absolutely lovely as well! Wink
But the smilies really are ahem... Do you need user input in this regard?

Lady of Avalon
Re: Where'd the message link go? [message #160086 is a reply to message #160083] Thu, 23 July 2009 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Show Reply Reference was disabled on this forum. I've enabled it now.

Global Settings Manager
Show Reply Reference:
Whether or not to show a link (beside the message subject) to the message that the current message is a reply to.
Re: Where'd the message link go? [message #160087 is a reply to message #160086] Thu, 23 July 2009 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Wild_Cat

Yes please Razz
Re: Where'd the message link go? [message #160097 is a reply to message #160086] Thu, 23 July 2009 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is nice! For the purpose of navigating away from this message to the one it replies to.

But I asked about something else (may be there wasn't before but I think there should be as it's a really useful option):

The link to self. For the purpose of linking the message I'm looking at somewhere else, in another thread or another website, you know? Or am I missing something and it is some place else than I expect it to? The logical place would certainly be the message number, I'd say.

Something like [message #000123 is a reply to message #000456]

Lady of Avalon

[Updated on: Thu, 23 July 2009 21:10]

Re: Where'd the message link go? [message #160098 is a reply to message #160087] Thu, 23 July 2009 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Thu, 23 July 2009 08:58
Wild_Cat

Yes please Razz

OK, I don't promise anything quickly but as I'm preparing to use a forum again I will make a set of smilies some of which I'll send (because I'm a smiley nut). Let me know if you want just the ones you have or something more to pick from.

Lady of Avalon
Re: Where'd the message link go? [message #160112 is a reply to message #160098] Sat, 25 July 2009 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Wild_Cat wrote:
Let me know if you want just the ones you have or something more to pick from.

It doesn't matter, if you think we need more we can add more.

PS: To prevent licensing problems, the smilies must please be your own work or in the public domain.
Re: Where'd the message link go? [message #160114 is a reply to message #160112] Sat, 25 July 2009 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj
PS: To prevent licensing problems, the smilies must please be your own work or in the public domain.
That goes without saying of course.

Lady of Avalon
Re: Where'd the message link go? [message #160567 is a reply to message #160097] Wed, 30 September 2009 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
qubodup is currently offline  qubodup   Germany
Wild_Cat wrote on Thu, 23 July 2009 17:06
Something like [[link-to-self]message #000123[/] is a reply to [link-to-reference-message]message #000456[/]]

I'm currently working on a FUDforum skin and also wanted this functionality, so I implemented it by replacing
{VAR: obj->subject}

with
<a href="{ROOT}?t=msg&amp;{DEF: _rsid}&amp;th={VAR: obj->thread_id}&amp;goto={VAR: obj->id}#msg_{VAR: obj->id}">{VAR: obj->subject}</a>

in drawmsg.tmpl of the template I'm working on. Let me know if you require more detailed instructions to add this functionality. Smile
Re: Where'd the message link go? [message #160580 is a reply to message #160567] Thu, 01 October 2009 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've tried your patch but it looks ugly. Any suggestions (css) on how we can style the subject line?
Re: Where'd the message link go? [message #160582 is a reply to message #160580] Thu, 01 October 2009 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
qubodup is currently offline  qubodup   Germany
naudefj wrote on Thu, 01 October 2009 10:06
I've tried your patch but it looks ugly. Any suggestions (css) on how we can style the subject line?

The code or the HTML result? You could apply the link to message #160580 instead of Re: Where'd the message link go?

For styling I would recommend to 1. not underline links (at least the ones used by the forum user interface. Inside posts is ok I guess). 2. make the link color of 'control' stuff neutral, since it's of less interest than the post content links. Example of idea #2:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2426/3971324759_deabba61b1_o.png

[Updated on: Thu, 01 October 2009 21:26]

Re: Where'd the message link go? [message #160585 is a reply to message #160582] Thu, 01 October 2009 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
qubodup wrote on Thu, 01 October 2009 18:12
You could apply the link to message #160580 instead of Re: Where'd the message link go?

I vote for that - thats' the way it was. Styling could be different for both "message #4567" and "in reply to message #1222" would share the same separate style, this way it could be made indeed really neutral as well as small, to user's liking.

But I would also really limit the second "reply" link to "message #1222" rather than the whole "is a reply to message #1222", this way it will also look better having both links beside, cleaner.

Lady of Avalon

[Updated on: Thu, 01 October 2009 17:03]

Re: Where'd the message link go? [message #160587 is a reply to message #160097] Thu, 01 October 2009 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Wild_Cat wrote on Thu, 23 July 2009 23:06

I'm pretty sure it was never like this. For example, look at this site that's still running FUDforum 2.7.6. However, going forward, it might be worth while adding this to FUDforum 3.0.0.

We also need an option for making the subject a link to the message itself. For this, I would appreciate some CSS style suggestions.
Re: Where'd the message link go? [message #160589 is a reply to message #160587] Fri, 02 October 2009 01:44 Go to previous message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
naudefj wrote on Thu, 01 October 2009 21:30
Wild_Cat wrote on Thu, 23 July 2009 23:06

I'm pretty sure it was never like this. For example, look at this site that's still running FUDforum 2.7.6. However, going forward, it might be worth while adding this to FUDforum 3.0.0.

I was actually running 2.6.0 or even earlier last time I used it AFAIR. I actually still have the pages - not as engine but HTML archive and we can see how it was:
http://avalon.net.ua/forum_archive/index.php-t=msg&th=149&rid=0& ;amp ;amp ;start=0.htm (it's in Russian)
"message #456 | reply to #123"
But there were no links to my surprise (memory!)
Anyways, "is a reply to" is too long and cloggy when totally linked. I think it's ugly even now, if you add the useful link to "message #self" will look even worse I guess.

naudefj wrote on Thu, 01 October 2009 21:30
We also need an option for making the subject a link to the message itself. For this, I would appreciate some CSS style suggestions.

Well, it could be "forum location" style (forum - subcategory - etc). Or indeed a link without underline works well or like in a Russian Blog site when it seems just like a bold-style basic color header (like here now) but when you mouse-over it's a link with a mouse-over color of other links in the style.
http://www.liveinternet.ru/users/wild_cat/
That's the most discreet it gets, and you do have a point, I could use that too e.g. for "copy link and location as HTML/BBCode" (an extension ability to Firefox) that I find very useful and quite often recur to it (saves time to copy a ready link code to a blog or forum).

Lady of Avalon

[Updated on: Fri, 02 October 2009 02:03]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Need Some Fixes, Willing to Pay
Next Topic: Where is the quoting down for nntp replies?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 03 18:29:11 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.25437 seconds