FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Unable to Import Forum
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Unable to Import Forum [message #160113] Sat, 25 July 2009 12:09 Go to next message
nozafc is currently offline  nozafc   United Kingdom
I'm trying to import an old forum backup onto my local server to pull off some information that was accidentally deleted from our main forum but it refuses to import the data. It was dumped with Skip Search Index selected.

When trying to import it sticks at Restoring forum files... and does nothing else (I left it running when I went to work and 8 hours later it was the same), also httpd.exe runs at 99% and pretty much kills my PC till I need to end the process.

If I dump a backup with the index included then I can import if fine but all the earlier backups with the info I required were dumped without the index.

Any ideas?

[Updated on: Sat, 25 July 2009 13:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to Import Forum [message #160115 is a reply to message #160113] Sun, 26 July 2009 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
nozafc wrote
I'm trying to import an old forum backup onto my local server to pull off some information that was accidentally deleted from our main forum but it refuses to import the data. It was dumped with Skip Search Index selected.

Skip Search Index was introduced with 2.8.1, so how old can it be?

nozafc wrote
When trying to import it sticks at Restoring forum files... and does nothing else

Can you add a couple a debug lines to see where it's hanging?
Re: Unable to Import Forum [message #160253 is a reply to message #160113] Tue, 11 August 2009 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The back up is only from a few weeks ago, I just want to pull one thread from it that accidentally got deleted

I'll try and get some debug lines fired up tomorrow

I assume these lines would be in admimport.php ?

[Updated on: Tue, 11 August 2009 20:03]

Re: Unable to Import Forum [message #160272 is a reply to message #160113] Wed, 12 August 2009 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok for whatever reason it started to import

But now it doesn't recreate the message files so all the posts are blank.

I've tried 6 different back ups on different settings (gzip, non gzip, index included, not included) and it's the same problem

Also tried installing a fresh forum on both my local server and also on my web-host but still no joy.

Any idea ?

[Updated on: Wed, 12 August 2009 20:26]

Re: Unable to Import Forum [message #160462 is a reply to message #160113] Mon, 14 September 2009 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nozafc is currently offline  nozafc   
Now that the new release is out I'd like to start prepping my forum for upgrading. This is proving to be impossible to do since due to the above issues so I'd really appreicate some input on how to solve the issue.

I simply want to take a back-up of the forum then import it into a another version so I can update to the latest version free from worry of things breaking etc

Everything seems to work fine , the back-up runs without errors, the threads are created , all the users are created etc but the message files do not get recreated so all my threads simply have blank posts

Sample error messages when viewing a thread , obviously looking for msg_10000 file and failing

Toggle Spoiler
Re: Unable to Import Forum [message #160463 is a reply to message #160113] Mon, 14 September 2009 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Updated

I closed the forum, ran an backup, downloaded the msg files to my local pc. Restored the back-up (still no posts) then reuploaded the message files and it worked fine

While it's fine for a workaround for testing purposes I'd still like to try and get to the bottom of the issue
Re: Unable to Import Forum [message #160467 is a reply to message #160463] Tue, 15 September 2009 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can only export & import if the source and target forums are running on the same version. This is documented at http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/Import_forum_data
Re: Unable to Import Forum [message #160471 is a reply to message #160113] Tue, 15 September 2009 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that's what I was doing

Steps taken

Dumped back-up from existing forum (I've tried various ways with or without index and with or without gzip)
Created new database and new directory on host
Installed same software version
Imported forum dump (again tried variations of options while importing)
Everything but the message files get re-created. Users/passwords/ threads everything but the actual message files.

This has been an issue for sometime not particularly related to the release of the new RC (just it has come back into my mind again with the new release)

I have a temporary workaround (detailed in the last post re uploading the msg files) that has got me up and running with the latest software so I can test etc but I'd like to try and get to the bottom of what is causing it (or probably more precisely what I'm doing wrong)
Re: Unable to Import Forum [message #160472 is a reply to message #160471] Tue, 15 September 2009 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I would be willing to look into it if the problem is reproducible on the latest RC release, and you can get the dump to me (i.e. make it available as a download).
Re: Unable to Import Forum [message #160486 is a reply to message #160113] Thu, 17 September 2009 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I shall do a datadump from the latest RC and see if the importing works and come back to you.
Re: Unable to Import Forum [message #160494 is a reply to message #160113] Thu, 17 September 2009 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good news, I done a data dump using my test forum upgraded to the latest software then installed the latest RC on my home server and imported it and all the messages where there

So hopefully with the workaround of downloading the message files along with the datadump I will be able to upgrade my production board when the times comes and if anything goes wrong revert to the backup

Re: Unable to Import Forum [message #160500 is a reply to message #160494] Fri, 18 September 2009 05:48 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
nozafc wrote on Thu, 17 September 2009 23:09
Good news, I done a data dump using my test forum upgraded to the latest software then installed the latest RC on my home server and imported it and all the messages where there.

Great news! Thanks for the feedback.

PS: I've promoted you to moderator. I'll be away for a couple of days, and would appreciate if you can help looking after this forum.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Error after upgrade to 3 when click on template editor
Next Topic: STMP Error
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 11 23:32:26 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02682 seconds