FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Need Some Fixes, Willing to Pay
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Need Some Fixes, Willing to Pay [message #160465] Tue, 15 September 2009 05:44 Go to next message
jm2morri is currently offline  jm2morri   Canada
Hello everyone

I have a few fixes that I need to make to my fudforum installation (2.Cool. These changes are pretty simple I would think but I'm not a PHP guru by any means.

I am willing to pay for the hours it takes to make these changes. If there is anyone out there who wants to make a few $$$ then please contact me. The changes are welcome to be fed back to the maintainers so everyone can benefit.

Preference will be given to those who are long time members of this forum. Contact me if you are interested.

Cheers,

James.
Re: Need Some Fixes, Willing to Pay [message #160466 is a reply to message #160465] Tue, 15 September 2009 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Let me know what changes you want. I might be persuaded to implement some of them if you contribute to this project in some form (i.e. bounties, translation, design, etc.). Say for example, you put a bounty of $200 on "the next language below 50% that is completely translated" or something such.
Re: Need Some Fixes, Willing to Pay [message #160468 is a reply to message #160466] Tue, 15 September 2009 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Tue, 15 September 2009 02:16
Let me know what changes you want. I might be persuaded to implement some of them if you contribute to this project in some form (i.e. bounties, translation, design, etc.). Say for example, you put a bounty of $200 on "the next language below 50% that is completely translated" or something such.

Sure, I can do that. Here are the things I need fixed/upgraded:

1) Attachments included _before_ personal signature and nntp forum signature so that news clients connecting to nntp server directly don't strip attachments off as part of the signature.

2) charset of messages sent to nntp isn't correct. I can only speak for the german forums but the umlaut (as well as many others) don't appear correctly in news clients connecting to nntp server because the charset isn't correct. You can make the news client force the charset and it works but that is a kludge and shouldn't need to be done.

3) Wordwrap messages being sent nntp servers need to be wordwrapped. I've added the code for new messages but replies need to be wordwrapped before adding ">" characters in quoted message.

That's it. If I could fix those that would be great. If that is a bounty that would be useful to the project then I'll make it. How do I make that "official"?

James.
Re: Need Some Fixes, Willing to Pay [message #160479 is a reply to message #160468] Thu, 17 September 2009 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
jm2morri wrote on Tue, 15 September 2009 14:37
1) Attachments included _before_ personal signature and nntp forum signature so that news clients connecting to nntp server directly don't strip attachments off as part of the signature.

I'm sure we can do it for the NNTP forum signature. However, to do it for the personal signature might require too much code refactoring (will have to see when I start coding).

2) charset of messages sent to nntp isn't correct.

Should be doable (if it's not already fixed).

3) Wordwrap messages being sent nntp servers need to be wordwrapped. I've added the code for new messages but replies need to be wordwrapped before adding ">" characters in quoted message.

Can you please post what you have so far?

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Need Some Fixes, Willing to Pay [message #160482 is a reply to message #160479] Thu, 17 September 2009 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Wed, 16 September 2009 20:55

I'm sure we can do it for the NNTP forum signature. However, to do it for the personal signature might require too much code refactoring (will have to see when I start coding).

Please try to do both. I suppose I could disable personal signatures but that would not be good.

2) charset of messages sent to nntp isn't correct.

Should be doable (if it's not already fixed).

Good. My users will really like this.

Can you please post what you have so far?

See

http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=158167&#msg_158167

And while you're in there don't forget

http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=159627&#msg_159627

Not to be a pain, but once you get into it could you give me an ETA until when it will be live? I am currently running 2.8 so I could either apply a patch or upgrade to new version with these changes.

Cheers,

James.
Re: Need Some Fixes, Willing to Pay [message #160484 is a reply to message #160482] Thu, 17 September 2009 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Frank,

One more thing, the charset doesn't seem to be set properly in the RDF feed of 2.8. I know you did a lot of work with RSS in 3.0. Perhaps you could ensure that the charset is set properly there as well in the RSS header.

I'm using Mac OS X Leopard Mail as the basis. Maybe the header is correct and Mail isn't displaying properly. I suppose that is a possibility too.

James.
Re: Need Some Fixes, Willing to Pay [message #160487 is a reply to message #160484] Thu, 17 September 2009 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I'm done with 1 and 3, but are unable to reproduce 2. So, I assume it's already fixed.

We can deal with the scope creep later (I'm going on leave and need to wrap this up). Personally, I think you've got a bargain for $200 as I won't do this in daytime for several times this amount.

How do we proceed? Can you announce your bounty in the "Translations" forum? Say, "$100 for the next 2 (or 3 if you feel generous) languages below 50% that is translated to above 95%."
Re: Need Some Fixes, Willing to Pay [message #160488 is a reply to message #160487] Thu, 17 September 2009 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Thu, 17 September 2009 15:07
I'm done with 1 and 3, but are unable to reproduce 2. So, I assume it's already fixed.

We can deal with the scope creep later (I'm going on leave and need to wrap this up). Personally, I think you've got a bargain for $200 as I won't do this in daytime for several times this amount.

How do we proceed? Can you announce your bounty in the "Translations" forum? Say, "$100 for the next 2 (or 3 if you feel generous) languages below 50% that is translated to above 95%."

Wow, that was fast Frank. Thank you very much.

I assume it would be easiest if you roll this into the 3.0 (and not bothering patching back to 2.Cool. How do I upgrade to the latest 3.0RC?

I'll be happy to test.

And yes, I'll announce the bounty with you being the moderator at who determines that the line was crossed and who crossed it first.

Cheers,

James.
Re: Need Some Fixes, Willing to Pay [message #160490 is a reply to message #160488] Thu, 17 September 2009 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Great, thank you very much James! The patch is available at http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=12019

The easiest would be to checkout the latest code from CVS and build an install or upgrade script. Instructions are available at http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/Installation. If it's too much of a challenge, I can also build one for you.

PS: Please test thoroughly before applying it to your production site.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Need Some Fixes, Willing to Pay [message #160491 is a reply to message #160490] Thu, 17 September 2009 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Frank,

Do you have an ETA on when 3.0 will move from RC to Stable?

Will the patch work against 2.8?

James.
Re: Need Some Fixes, Willing to Pay [message #160493 is a reply to message #160491] Thu, 17 September 2009 20:40 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
jm2morri wrote on Thu, 17 September 2009 22:33
Do you have an ETA on when 3.0 will move from RC to Stable?

If everything goes according to plan, around this time next month.

jm2morri wrote on Thu, 17 September 2009 22:33
Will the patch work against 2.8?

Probably not.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Server change
Next Topic: Where'd the message link go?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:26:24 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04021 seconds