FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Forum Styles » loc - a modern fudforum template
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
loc - a modern fudforum template [message #160570] Wed, 30 September 2009 03:59 Go to next message
qubodup is currently offline  qubodup   Germany
I'm working on a theme to make the forum more accessible.
index.php?t=getfile&id=5720&private=0
Note that a white color scheme is planned, but since I prefer white on black, I use such a scheme for development.

Live demo up! (as of 2009-10-03)

Status as of 2009-09-30: index (main and category pages) and thread (list of threads in a forum) pages are finished, msg (post thread, reply to thread) started.

You can follow development (and check out the source code) here.

You can see wip screenshots here.

Comments welcome!
  • Attachment: test.png
    (Size: 77.56KB, Downloaded 2414 times)

[Updated on: Sat, 03 October 2009 15:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: loc - a modern fudforum template [message #160576 is a reply to message #160570] Thu, 01 October 2009 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Well done! I particularly like the way you've structured the left side bar.

The main problem is that your theme contains redundant files (and sections within those files). Remember, everything is inherited from "default" and your theme should only contain the files that you have modified.

For example, why include the German messages if you haven't changed it? And, even if you change some messages, your theme should only contain the modified strings. The same applies to template files, images, etc.
Re: loc - a modern fudforum template [message #160584 is a reply to message #160576] Thu, 01 October 2009 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glad you like it!
naudefj wrote on Thu, 01 October 2009 02:08
The main problem is that your theme contains redundant files (and sections within those files). Remember, everything is inherited from "default" and your theme should only contain the files that you have modified.

For example, why include the German messages if you haven't changed it? And, even if you change some messages, your theme should only contain the modified strings. The same applies to template files, images, etc.

Right, I didn't know how much I can rely on the 'missing stuff replaced by default theme' because the first time I edited a skin, I changed the default one and didn't notice that functionality and was later surprised by it. And I just forgot. Smile

I want to preserve the template files' structure (regarding template names and included {MSG: } which I just put into <!-- --> when not used etc), so that when the skin is done it might be easy to add stuff that I might not implement (for example I don't know if I will support tree view in the theme).

The language files I probably can remove, but I need the full english/msg file, because I use it to navigate in template files Smile for example if I want to know where "My Messages:" is in a template file, I search the string in the msg file and then search in the template for the {MSG: variable_name}

[Updated on: Thu, 01 October 2009 15:52]

Re: loc - a modern fudforum template [message #160595 is a reply to message #160570] Sat, 03 October 2009 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I installed a demo at http://qubodup.net/fud2/ (link added to first post too)
Re: loc - a modern fudforum template [message #160596 is a reply to message #160584] Sat, 03 October 2009 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
qubodup wrote on Thu, 01 October 2009 17:51
The language files I probably can remove, but I need the full english/msg file, because I use it to navigate in template files Smile for example if I want to know where "My Messages:" is in a template file, I search the string in the msg file and then search in the template for the {MSG: variable_name}

If you haven't changed the messages, you should remove all language files and directories. You can always lookup the messages in the default theme.

The key to a good theme is minimalism. It will allow you to benefit for the features provided in newer versions and make it easier to upgrade to newer releases. In the past people complained that it's difficult to upgrade FUDforum, however, nobody ever though that their bloated themes are actually to blame.
Re: loc - a modern fudforum template [message #160601 is a reply to message #160596] Sat, 03 October 2009 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Sat, 03 October 2009 12:39
If you haven't changed the messages, you should remove all language files and directories. You can always lookup the messages in the default theme.

The key to a good theme is minimalism. It will allow you to benefit for the features provided in newer versions and make it easier to upgrade to newer releases. In the past people complained that it's difficult to upgrade FUDforum, however, nobody ever though that their bloated themes are actually to blame.

Thank you for the hints!

I removed all unused image and language files now, but I need to have the unused templates (and the sections in them) and unused messages in the same file/folder for optimized development speed.

I would comment out unused messages but I don't know if it's possible to have comments in the msg file and I don't know how to build a pipe using diff and sed to auto-comment all lines I did not change from the default skin.

[Updated on: Sat, 03 October 2009 19:27]

Re: loc - a modern fudforum template [message #161009 is a reply to message #160570] Tue, 10 November 2009 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alexhills8 is currently offline  alexhills8
I think it looks more better that the previous template, but in updating the forum, just consider some files to be replace...
Re: loc - a modern fudforum template [message #161014 is a reply to message #161009] Tue, 10 November 2009 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alexhills8 wrote on Tue, 10 November 2009 03:58
I think it looks more better that the previous template, but in updating the forum, just consider some files to be replace...

If I return working on the skin (currently it's under question if fud will stay as our forum software) I will make it more correct/less bloated Smile
Re: loc - a modern fudforum template [message #161400 is a reply to message #160570] Mon, 21 December 2009 15:09 Go to previous message
I stopped working on this theme, since we switched the forum software. Feel free to remove my copyright notices (but not FUDForum's, since the skin is based on FUD's default) and to use my changes as you will.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Very nice decorating Job!
Next Topic: Improvement to adm.css in FUD3
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed May 01 23:31:01 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02919 seconds