FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » RSS/RDF Feed in 3.0.0
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
RSS/RDF Feed in 3.0.0 [message #160908] Fri, 06 November 2009 04:20 Go to next message
jm2morri is currently offline  jm2morri   Canada
Sort of strange behaviour with RDF/RSS feeds. I had one setup in Mac OS X Mail from before and it worked reasonably well with 2.8.1. I just upgraded to 3.0.0 and that feed worked initially. In fact, it was even better because the German characters showed up correctly (they didn't before). So that is great.

I then deleted the feed and tried to create a new one. I'm using the examples from the admin page and it seems to work. The message titles are pulled down properly but there seems to be an empty body! I took a look at the raw source of the message and it indeed is empty.

Also, what is the format of the "frm" modified on the RDF URL syntax? Do you use the name of the forum as the data? i.e. ...&frm=forum_name&....

James.
Re: RSS/RDF Feed in 3.0.0 [message #160911 is a reply to message #160908] Fri, 06 November 2009 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jm2morri is currently offline  jm2morri   Canada
More info,

I enabled the RSS indicator and it then showed up in the address bar of Safari. I clicked on that and it then subscribed to

feed://www.eaglecentral.ca/forums/feed.php?mode=m&l=1&basic=1

This worked and the body was downloaded. Now the german characters are black diamonds with the question mark but the body came down.

The feed that gets the title but not the body was

http://www.eaglecentral.ca/forums/feed.php?mode=m&l=1&n=10

A bit more...

I figured out that the german character issue is related to my other post about old messages. New messages show up in the RSS feed correctly. Older messages (before upgrade to 3.0.0) have german characters displayed as diamond with question mark, just like the posts on the web interface. So that is the same issue.

For now, it appears you have to use the basic parameter for any bodies to come down.

And the forum qualified doesn't seem to work.

And some documentation about what category, forum, and topic mean in the RSS syntax. I'm not sure what each of those refer to.

James.
Re: RSS/RDF Feed in 3.0.0 [message #160942 is a reply to message #160911] Sat, 07 November 2009 10:50 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
jm2morri wrote on Fri, 06 November 2009 06:20
Also, what is the format of the "frm" modified on the RDF URL syntax?

frm is the forum ID. For example, 1 for forum number 1. Hover over the form URL's to see them.

jm2morri wrote on Fri, 06 November 2009 06:46
This worked and the body was downloaded. Now the german characters are black diamonds with the question mark but the body came down.

Looks like you have non-UTF8 characters in your message files.

jm2morri wrote on Fri, 06 November 2009 06:46
The feed that gets the title but not the body was http://www.eaglecentral.ca/forums/feed.php?mode=m&l=1&n=10

Just add &basic=1 to the URL or use a different format (RSS or ATOM). Some readers cannot handle properly formatted RDF.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Where header template
Next Topic: How to get attachments to be MIME-encoded?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:57:54 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02729 seconds