FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Activity Statistics
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Activity Statistics [message #161542] Tue, 05 January 2010 19:07 Go to next message
srchild is currently offline  srchild   United Kingdom
Has anyone done this already, or is it just me who thinks it would be 'nice to have' (though certainly not an essential feature)?

Would be good to be able to do things like analyse activity:

• total messages per user, not just for all time as is available under Members link, but for specified time periods such as per year, or for each of the last twelve months
  • graph of messages by day, or by time of day, i.e. which is our busiest/quietist time of day / day of year / week of year
  • perhaps statistics on who is posting new threads, and who is responding (likely not to be the same people)

Clearly the data is all there in the database already, so it just requires extracting in a query and presenting for display.

I see it more as a fun/nice thing than an essential, but then again once you start analysing data some interesting patterns can lead to interesting ideas, so who knows where it might lead...

Happy new year to all

Simon Child
Re: Activity Statistics [message #161543 is a reply to message #161542] Tue, 05 January 2010 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Sounds interesting.

The Forum Statistics control panel will answer some of your questions.

I'm all for expanding it if someone contributes the code.
Re: Activity Statistics [message #161564 is a reply to message #161543] Fri, 08 January 2010 20:14 Go to previous message
srchild is currently offline  srchild   United Kingdom
Thinking about this a bit more, the easy way to implement this would be not to worry about graphing etc. Instead, just include some option to run the relevant queries then export results as csv or tsv. Then the forum admin can press the appropriate button from a list of buttons in forum statistics, then take the exported csv and format/graph it as they like in their application of choice (openoffice, excel, whatever).

So all this needs is some code to export results to csv (pretty straightforward, I can find you some code for that), and someone who knows the database structure well who could write the appropriate queries to extract the type of data I mentioned for user-definable time periods.

How does that sound?

Simon Child
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: XML Aggregation Refinements
Next Topic: Collapsable Tree View
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu May 09 07:00:44 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02627 seconds