FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » how to hide
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
how to hide [message #161558] Fri, 08 January 2010 09:19 Go to next message
rover_scan is currently offline  rover_scan   Russian Federation

how to hide from anonymous users address url in the messages?
Re: how to hide [message #161560 is a reply to message #161558] Fri, 08 January 2010 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Sorry, I don't understand. Can you please elaborate?
Re: how to hide [message #161562 is a reply to message #161558] Fri, 08 January 2010 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Sure. At the site a lot of messages (about 11000). Many of them have links to other pages (external links, not good for SEO). Can we make sure that these links are invisible to unregistered users? Common example: "hidden text. You have to register to see hidden text.
Re: how to hide [message #161563 is a reply to message #161562] Fri, 08 January 2010 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I don't think there is anything in FUDforum that will do that. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to add it yourself.
Re: how to hide [message #161572 is a reply to message #161563] Sat, 09 January 2010 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

UPDATE fud30_msg_store SET DATA =REPLACE(DATA, '<a href', 'сцылко') ?

Very Happy Very Happy
Re: how to hide [message #161576 is a reply to message #161572] Mon, 11 January 2010 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I would put it in replace.inc.t (before it's stored to disk) or in fileio.inc.t (after it's read from disk).
Re: how to hide [message #161583 is a reply to message #161576] Mon, 11 January 2010 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I keep messages in the SQL. Solved the problem this way: one query UPDATE adds to each link ref = nofollow tag and <noindex> </ noindex> (for Yandex). Thank you.
Re: how to hide [message #164354 is a reply to message #161583] Sat, 29 January 2011 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
barefootliam
I hope you mean, rel="nofollow" and not, ref=nofollow...

It would be nice if FUDForum could add this automatically to all links, as well as to links in the signature.
Re: how to hide [message #164355 is a reply to message #164354] Sat, 29 January 2011 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
Quote:
It would be nice if FUDForum could add this automatically to all links, as well as to links in the signature.

I wouldn't like that at all.

rel="nofollow" have no relevance on SEO or pagerank today.

It is also not advisable to present one thing to a search engine and another thing to the users, that will quickly give you penalties and your pagerank will be lower than it has ever been.

External links is not bad for your SEO either.

Re: how to hide [message #164356 is a reply to message #164355] Sat, 29 January 2011 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
barefootliam
Ernesto, well, I meant as an option. And from working on pagerank 9 and 10 pages, I know that rel="nofollow" still does make a difference because of being contacted by people at Google. (Of course, pagerank is only one of over 200 metrics used by Google in ranking earch results, and has much less effect that it used to). But the other difference it makes is that it discourages some kinds of link spam. So, I'd like it as an option. I am not, by the way, suggesting presenting one thing to one search engine and another to users, and, some external links are good and some can be bad. Or maybe we can agree to disagree on whether it's bad or good or makes a difference, and agree only that some people might like an option to have such an attribute added in some cases, OK? Very Happy

Re: how to hide [message #164359 is a reply to message #164356] Sun, 30 January 2011 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it had a bearing on page rank (it actually used to, long ago) then people start adding it everywhere to linkshape. Since then google for example, doesn't follow the links, it means that the end users, meaning the ones that searches on google, will get a worse experience, since googlebot can never find anything, since everyone added rel="nofollow" to increase their pagerank.

It is a counter-productive practice and to follow the google motto: "Make the pages for users, not for search engines" applies.

If you have a problem with spam, that is another issue and not something that should be solved by rel="nofollow", since that would "ruin" all legitimate links.

While I agree that options are good, what if everyone still believes old rumours that it will make their page appear better in google search results, well, then everyone will enable it and boom, link crawling has effectively either been put out of comission, or search engines will be forced to ignore the rel="nofollow" tag.

Best practice is to use the nofollow tag on things you do not want the engine to follow, for example "Reply" "Register" "New Topic" etc.
( http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=965 69)

http://searchenginewatch.com/3633972

http://twitter.com/mattcutts/status/2013680604
Quote:
Hey, did you hear our latest inside tip? Make relevant content. Wink

That is of course just my opinion and I can be wrong like everyone else

Re: how to hide [message #164360 is a reply to message #164359] Sun, 30 January 2011 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyhow, if you want to change the behaviour, you should look in the post_proc.inc.t file

Find the following code and alter after your own desire:

while (preg_match('!<a href="(.+?)" target="_blank">\\1</a>!is', $fudml)) {
		$fudml = preg_replace('!<a href="(.+?)" target="_blank">\\1</a>!is', '[url]\1[/url]', $fudml);
	}

To make things backwards compatible, you should create a new code also that reads the old, replaces with the new, else old links posted prior to your change will "break" if a message is edited.

Good luck!

Re: how to hide [message #164361 is a reply to message #164360] Sun, 30 January 2011 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Come to think of it, I am sure the line of code you are looking for does not look the same as in my version of the forum. Should still give you an idea where to look though!

Re: how to hide [message #164362 is a reply to message #164361] Sun, 30 January 2011 11:18 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Here's a one line solution: add this to your lib.js file, right after (function init() {
$('a[href^="http"]').attr('rel','nofollow');

NOTE: Not all search index crawlers execute JS code. Google is probably one of the few that does.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Custom Profile Fields
Next Topic: How To Increase Number of Threads in Merge Selection Box?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:30:51 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02714 seconds