FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Newsgroup posts in forum ?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Newsgroup posts in forum ? [message #161790] Sun, 07 February 2010 00:36 Go to next message
newbie.john is currently offline  newbie.john
Okay, I would like to try to avoid a problem before it happens.

When creating a member in FUD it says "Forum login names must be unique."

I also have configured "When importing messages from a newsgroup, should a new user be created for every newsgroup author, who cannot be matched against an existing forum user." set to "Yes".

So, looking at these two together what happens where two newsgroup posts have the following info...

Name : John Smith Email js(at)work(dot)com
Name : John Smith Email js(at)home(dot)com

If there is no "existing" "John Smith" member then I guess a "new member" would be created from the first post. Correct ? If so then what happens when the second post is mirrored ? Is it rejected ? Or made as "anonymous" ?

If "yes" to either then is there any way for a FUD member to "register" with two email address' ? So that both posts get to the forum okay under the single user name ?

Can someone here help me with this please ? TIA.

Regards, John.

Re: Newsgroup posts in forum ? [message #161793 is a reply to message #161790] Sun, 07 February 2010 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
The first one will be created as userid "John Smith" and the second as "John Smith[1]", then "John Smith[2]", etc.

PS: The next release, FUDforum 3.0.1 will allow you to merge accounts.
Re: Newsgroup posts in forum ? [message #161804 is a reply to message #161793] Mon, 08 February 2010 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newbie.john is currently offline  newbie.john
naudefj wrote on Sun, 07 February 2010 03:43
The first one will be created as userid "John Smith" and the second as "John Smith[1]", then "John Smith[2]", etc.

PS: The next release, FUDforum 3.0.1 will allow you to merge accounts.

The idea of having Smith[1]", then "John Smith[2]", etc. doesn't appeal. I am pleased that you are intending improving things. Thank you.

I have the following situation. Suppose a member of the forum is..

Fred Smith <something(at)gmail(dot)com>

They then post to the newsgroup. Anti spam measures mean that their address changes to..

"Fred Smith" <somethinggarbled(at)newsgroup(dot)somewhere(dot)org>

When the forum mirrors the post a "New User" is created called "Fred Smith[2]" if he originally created a "Fred Smith" account.

IF I understand you correctly then after the 3.0.1 release I can merge the (2) account to the first one ?

SUGGESTION : It would be handy if this were able to be done before the event. Not just after it.

For example with forum user Fred Smith add the following..

Email account : something(at)gmail(dot)com
Alias account for the same member : somethinggarbled(at)newsgroup(dot)somewhere(dot)org

Or maybe a setting somewhere that says "If there is a newsgroup poster with the same name as this web forum user then treat them as the same person Y/N."

Or maybe both options ?

I am guessing though that that setting may need to be a "per member" option as it is a (very remote) possibility that two different people with the same name could post in a newsgroup.

Though maybe two different people called fred(at)usa(dot)com, and fred(at)uk(dot)com, would be more likely ?

Regards, John.

Re: Newsgroup posts in forum ? [message #161806 is a reply to message #161804] Mon, 08 February 2010 06:21 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Life is too short to develop strange patches for people you don't know. However, you are always welcome to prepare a patch or sponsor the development of a new feature.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Initial Forum Layout ?
Next Topic: ACTIVE HTML LINK AS FORUM TITLE
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 17:33:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02609 seconds