FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Links are Poorly Named to Left of Text Entry During Posting
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Links are Poorly Named to Left of Text Entry During Posting [message #161853] Sat, 13 February 2010 17:37 Go to next message
jm2morri is currently offline  jm2morri   Canada
Hello,

When posting a message or reply there are links to the left of the text entry box that say things like "HTML code is off" and "BBcode is on". If you click on the ones that are active then you actually go to a page that explains what the code is.

I would suggest two things:

First, if the particular option is off then don't display anything. A user can't do anything about it anyway so don't show it.

Second, the links should really be labelled "BBcode Help" or "Smilies Help" or something similar. It's not obvious to me and others that you get to a help page by clicking on those links.

Cheers,

James.
Re: Links are Poorly Named to Left of Text Entry During Posting [message #161859 is a reply to message #161853] Sat, 13 February 2010 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Sounds like a good idea. Any other opinions? Can we implement it?
Re: Links are Poorly Named to Left of Text Entry During Posting [message #161860 is a reply to message #161859] Sat, 13 February 2010 21:40 Go to previous message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   
Makes sense to me; if they're not "user configurable" options that are editable by the end user, hearing they're ON or OFF will be of little interest. The end user generally just wants to interact with the options they're presented with. And a more explanatory clickable link - "Help with Smilies" or "What's BBCode?" - sounds good to me. Good suggestions, James.

Maybe while you're at it the words "Smiley Shortcuts" could be replaced with something like "Click a Smiley to insert it =>". Believe it or not I had to explain that to a user - they were trying to drag-and-drop them into their messages.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: XML Aggregation :: Add Subject and Body Mangling
Next Topic: Can the Posting Icons and Buttons be Hidden?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 10 15:42:37 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02871 seconds