FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Regular Expression Problem -- "No Message Body"
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Regular Expression Problem -- "No Message Body" [message #162776] Thu, 15 July 2010 07:08 Go to next message
wittrs is currently offline  wittrs   United States
I made a change to the email list rule, and I am no longer getting message bodies in my messages. What I tried to do was simple: I set a regular expression to remove the junk at the end of the email. The expression was copied word for word in a slightly long string. It is something like:

Remove this content email subscription:[followed by a url]

I did not put the sentence in quotes. But now, like I say, the entire body of the mail appears to have been eaten.

Any ideas out there?

Here is an example: http://seanwilson.org/sworg/index.php?t=msg&th=5&start=0&S=94c4 e22183a09335361aaaebae2d3dd8

[Updated on: Thu, 15 July 2010 16:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Regular Expression Problem -- "No Message Body" [message #162781 is a reply to message #162776] Thu, 15 July 2010 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... just an update here. I've fooled with the regular expression setting for the message body several times now. I'm trying to delete a url at the end of a mail on a mailing list. No matter what I do, the entire message body gets deleted in the mail. I was thinking it was because urls have funny characters like "/", which are meta-characters in regex. But I'm a garage mechanic who knows nothing, really. What would be the reason why the regular expression for bodies (but not subjects) is deleting the entire mail? Does anyone know of a way to cut a url from the bottom of a mail before it posts? I seem to recall a php file that someone had written, but I can't locate it.

Thanks and regards.
Re: Regular Expression Problem -- "No Message Body" [message #162782 is a reply to message #162781] Thu, 15 July 2010 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... here's another update. I noticed that some of my php files start with the wrong "shebang" line. The generic #!/usr/local/bin/php doesn't work. I had previously learned this when I got the maillist.php file working. However, what I didn't realize was that other php files in the script directory also have this problem. I don't know what these files do, but I figured that I should replace all the #!/usr/local/bin/php's I could find. I did that. I put the right shebang line in all the files.

Now, the point. I'm no longer getting empty messages. That problem is fixed. However, another problem remains: my message board CANNOT SEE the regex. Whatever I put between / / is being ignored. Can someone help with a simple question: how do you write a regular expression to delete this simple thing:

To unsubscribe from this list, click here: http://... [etc. -- its a url]

Do I need to put special characters in the white boxes? I'm fooling around with it, and I can't get it to delete even a simple three word sentence. It's like it just is ignoring me.

Yours frustrated.
Re: Regular Expression Problem -- "No Message Body" [message #162786 is a reply to message #162782] Fri, 16 July 2010 01:42 Go to previous message
... hey, it worked! I have absolutely no idea why. It's just like the problem with the board emailing. It just started doing it. Very strange indeed.

Inasmuch as the Gremlins are now on my side, I guess this matter is solved!

(sorry to bother).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: forum datadump stopped working
Next Topic: email list not getting messages
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 14:30:40 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02463 seconds