FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » New member restrictions
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
New member restrictions [message #162805] Mon, 19 July 2010 17:34 Go to next message
andy_scouser is currently offline  andy_scouser   United Kingdom
Hi there. I'm wondering if there is a way of restricting new members to an area such as a new member forum until they have a few posts under their belt. I'm getting quite a few strange almost automated members joining all of the time and people just wanting to sell items etc
I do have image captcga enabled.
Any help appreciated

Thanks

Andy
icon6.gif  Re: New member restrictions [message #162806 is a reply to message #162805] Mon, 19 July 2010 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
I think I have a pretty good understanding of what you want to do and why, I also know how to get around using VER 3.0 or earlier but it requires a bit of effort on the part of you and your members to accomplish.

But you might be better off upgrading to VER 3.01 and using the "Moderate user's first N messages:" option from the control panel.

Admin Control Panel > Global Settings Manager > Message Settings >Moderate user's first N messages: (Queue user's first N posts for approval. If a user's post count exceeds this number his/her posts will be automatically approved (unless posted to a moderated forum). Set to 0 to disable.)

I've not used this function but it sounds like it's just what you need!

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: New member restrictions [message #162810 is a reply to message #162806] Tue, 20 July 2010 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andy_scouser is currently offline  andy_scouser   United Kingdom
Witcher, thank you very much. Ive upgraded from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 as you suggest. Ive spotted the value and set it to 2 for now. This should weed out the bad guys and keep the good members happy.

Thanks very much
Re: New member restrictions [message #162814 is a reply to message #162810] Tue, 20 July 2010 06:21 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
You may also want to enable the botscout.plugin.

"This plugin integrates with the BotScout API to screen registering users and prevent known bots from creating accounts on your forum."
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: manually extract files from .fud.gz?
Next Topic: Inline image attachments
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 10:24:05 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03014 seconds