FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Hits to non-existent pages
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Hits to non-existent pages [message #162845] Mon, 09 August 2010 19:05 Go to next message
wittrs is currently offline  wittrs   United States
Almost every day, my site has visitors from ip addresses that are trying to access non-existent pages. You can see this two ways. First, if you click "show what others are doing," you see "guest not logged in" visiting nothing. And you get error logs telling the visitor that the page does not exist.

Now, it seems fairly obvious that these are automated "hits" trying to access something randomly. Is that correct? Random url searching?

Two questions. 1. Why does this happen? Is it spammers looking for email addys?

2. Does this mean that some of my visitors to real pages are also automata, and that they have just gotten lucky with the hit? Are some of our board visitors to real pages fake?

Yours pondering today.
Re: Hits to non-existent pages [message #162846 is a reply to message #162845] Mon, 09 August 2010 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
To be honest, this is bugging me as well. We need to analyse this traffic to understand where it's coming from. Once we understand the patterns we will be able to properly deal with it.
Re: Hits to non-existent pages [message #162847 is a reply to message #162846] Tue, 10 August 2010 08:34 Go to previous message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
I have that problem as well, it seems most of the traffic originates with a search engine called "twiceler" and it does not follow robots.txt rules.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Controlling Word-Wrapping on Piped Email
Next Topic: Chrome extension
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed May 15 23:37:10 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02434 seconds