FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Converters » YahooGroup Conversion - mdb File Import from archiver PGOffline to FUDforum (Popular Ygroup Archiver PGOffline creates *mdb files, need import into FUDforum with Mailing List)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
YahooGroup Conversion - mdb File Import from archiver PGOffline to FUDforum [message #163022] Sat, 18 September 2010 01:19 Go to next message
expedition is currently offline  expedition   United States
I have been using YahooGroups for 10 years and I am now in the process of fleeing, since YahooGroups self-destructed by turning into a teen faceybook site.

I am trying to set up FUDforum forum with its companion Mailing List feature, on my own website.

I want to duplicate as many of the features as possible of the YahooGroups group that I already have, and make it as painless as possible for group members. This means "seamless" email posting to the forum and vice-versa.

My plan is to start by mirroring all the email postings that the YahooGroup generates and mirror all the postings that are generated on the new FUDforum forum... and then eventually turn off the YahooGroup... since it will be totally replaced by the FUDforum when all the bugs are worked out of the change over. I hope there is some way to do this!

Here is my present problem for getting started:

I have an archive file in *.mdb (MSAccess) format consisting of about 45,000 old group messages. I want all these to be shown on my new FUDforum forum.

I also have a comma and line delimited file for the user base of this group of about 10,000 members, their Yahoo-ID and email address (no passwords). I would like these all to be "subscribed" to my new FUDforum and companion FUDforum Mailing List. I need some easy way to prompt the existing users to authenticate/register/password/account at the new FUDforum.

The *mdb file (Microsoft Access database file) of messages was generated by a YahooGroup message archiving software called PGOffline by pgoffline. com Personal Groupware[/url].

This mdb file has several fields such as:
User
User email
Subject
Subject thread
I will be running FUDforum on my own domain, a *nix based webhosting with MySQL and php, where I have Cpanel access, but I don't have shell access.

Possibly, I could convert the mdb file over to a MySQL file, if that would help.

Is there a converter already for this type of thing, or can I adapt an already made importer to this task?

What kind of resources will I need to accomplish this?

Is FUDforum a good choice for this plan?

Thanks!
Re: YahooGroup Conversion - mdb File Import from archiver PGOffline to FUDforum [message #163025 is a reply to message #163022] Sat, 18 September 2010 16:29 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum should be a good fit.
You can use FUDAPI to import your users and posts.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Converting IPB 1.1.2 to FudForum Latest Version
Next Topic: Beating a dead horse, again and again... Ikonboard converter
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:05:55 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02379 seconds