FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Links to translate.google.com
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Links to translate.google.com [message #160532] Fri, 25 September 2009 15:39 Go to next message
jm2morri is currently offline  jm2morri   Canada
It would be helpful if there was a way to include a link to translate.google.com (or a configurable translation service) that when clicked would send the contents of the message with user defined settings to have the page translated.

You could store the default language of the forum in a variable in the forum setup and the use could set their own language and this would be the default translation. Of course, you can easily change it at google if required.

James.
icon6.gif  Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #160533 is a reply to message #160532] Fri, 25 September 2009 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
ou are talking of having the messages themselvs go through Google; to be translated to the users default/native language? As an aside from the programs langusge defined messagesm and such?

I am not sure that would be such a good idea! I'm thinking it would be nice, to be able to read messages typed in russin, or espranto. greek, or even german in English or vs a versa' however google would detract fron the purpose of FUDforum, to my way of thinking as standalone as possible!

detract from FUDforums all in one format. Is there perhaps a GPL program which could be incorporated some how, if needed? Sort of like the youtube plugins?

You know far more than I about the program and it's capabilitiesm but it strikes me that this would be a better option for agreat idea.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #160534 is a reply to message #160533] Sat, 26 September 2009 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher wrote on Fri, 25 September 2009 18:46
ou are talking of having the messages themselvs go through Google; to be translated to the users default/native language? As an aside from the programs langusge defined messagesm and such?

I am not sure that would be such a good idea! I'm thinking it would be nice, to be able to read messages typed in russin, or espranto. greek, or even german in English or vs a versa' however google would detract fron the purpose of FUDforum, to my way of thinking as standalone as possible!

detract from FUDforums all in one format. Is there perhaps a GPL program which could be incorporated some how, if needed? Sort of like the youtube plugins?

Maybe that's a good way to go. I figured doing the translation would be a lot more work than simply forming a URL and displaying it. So let's rephrase this as "it would be nice to have a link to click that would translate the text of a message from one language to another". We'll leave the implementation details to the designers.

Currently, I copy the text, go to translate.google.com, paste the text in, and click the button. I'm sure there are ways to automate that if a designer felt so inclined Smile

Quote:

You know far more than I about the program and it's capabilitiesm but it strikes me that this would be a better option for agreat idea.

I think you highly over-estimate my knowledge of fudforum. I have barely scratched the surface of understanding it's internals.

James.
Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #160535 is a reply to message #160534] Sat, 26 September 2009 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jm2morri wrote on Sat, 26 September 2009 08:06
I think you highly over-estimate my knowledge of fudforum. I have barely scratched the surface of understanding it's internals.

Perhaps, but you seem to have a much better grasp of the NNTP, than I so that's a big plus for you, I still struggle understanding so much of FUDforum's basics and NNTP is one of the things I don't understand at all.

Maybe that's a good way to go. I figured doing the translation would be a lot more work than simply forming a URL and displaying it. So let's rephrase this as "it would be nice to have a link to click that would translate the text of a message from one language to another". We'll leave the implementation details to the designers.

I believe it would likely work like selecting a different sized text or colors do, where you select your text, and then select translate and your desired language. But I would have absolutely no idea on how it would be accomplished. Then on the other hand there might be some way to simply translate everything to the users default language set in their profile?

Currently, I copy the text, go to translate.google.com, paste the text in, and click the button. I'm sure there are ways to automate that if a designer felt so inclined

I would do it the same way, if needed but having a translator built in would be a nice feature. There are a lot of good smart people out there that something like that could bridge the language barrier with.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 November 2009 07:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #160546 is a reply to message #160535] Mon, 28 September 2009 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Please use TranslateWiki.net to translate forum messages. The Message Editor should only be used to make site specific language changes (in a custom theme to prevent upgrades from overwriting it!).

BTW, TranslateWiki is already integrated with Google's translation service and can prefill the edit box with an automatic Google translation of the English message into the user's language.
Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #160581 is a reply to message #160546] Thu, 01 October 2009 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Mon, 28 September 2009 12:25
Please use TranslateWiki.net to translate forum messages. The Message Editor should only be used to make site specific language changes (in a custom theme to prevent upgrades from overwriting it!).

BTW, TranslateWiki is already integrated with Google's translation service and can prefill the edit box with an automatic Google translation of the English message into the user's language.

Hi Frank,

I don't mean translating the menus and messages of the wiki itself. I mean the real-time translating of the _message contents_.

For instance, I mirror some german newsgroups. I would love to have a button that would send the message contents to google (or some other translation service) and then display the translation.

This is a convenience to save me having to copy the contents, go to google, paste the contents, and then click OK. One link to do that all and preferably display embedded into my site, not just go to google (though that would be OK too).

James.
Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #160586 is a reply to message #160581] Thu, 01 October 2009 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It shouldn't be too difficult to implement. However, it doesn't interest me and I'm not going to code it.

If you want to give it a go, this may help: http://code.google.com/intl/af/apis/ajaxlanguage/documentation/
Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #160590 is a reply to message #160586] Sat, 03 October 2009 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Thu, 01 October 2009 13:28
It shouldn't be too difficult to implement. However, it doesn't interest me and I'm not going to code it.

If you want to give it a go, this may help: http://code.google.com/intl/af/apis/ajaxlanguage/documentation/

Hey Frank,

This is a suggestion forum right? So it's a suggestion. If other people think it will be useful they can comment.

Cheers,

James.
Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #160592 is a reply to message #160532] Sat, 03 October 2009 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
qubodup is currently offline  qubodup   Germany
Edit: this post is not very on-topic, this post suggest how to use the normal google web translate as an url passing.

I added google translations to a blog i administer as simple ahref/image links in the sidebar of it. The url code is simple to generate:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&langpair=en|zh-CN&u=CURRENTPAGEURLHERE

This should be easy to add to a theme but I don't know the variable for "current page url" if there is one.

[Updated on: Sat, 03 October 2009 14:03]

Report message to a moderator

icon6.gif  Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #160593 is a reply to message #160592] Sat, 03 October 2009 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Mon, 28 September 2009 12:25

Really! How would that be accomplished? I did not see a reference to this.

qubodup wrote on Sat, 03 October 2009 08:27
I added google translations to a blog i administer as simple ahref/image links in the sidebar of it. The url code is simple to generate:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&langpair=en|zh-CN&u=CURRENTPAGEURLHERE

This should be easy to add to a theme but I don't know the variable for "current page url" if there is one.

I might not know much but that looks like a viable alternative..... I wonder how that relates to naudefj's note above if at all?

Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #160597 is a reply to message #160592] Sat, 03 October 2009 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
qubodup wrote on Sat, 03 October 2009 15:27

You can use {VAR: _SERVER['REQUEST_URI']}
Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #160925 is a reply to message #160597] Sat, 07 November 2009 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
qubodup has the idea I intended--nothing too fancy, just a link to send the current page to google to do a quick translation.

If someone could point me to the file to edit I'd be happy to do the rest from here.

James.
Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #160978 is a reply to message #160925] Sun, 08 November 2009 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can add it to msg.tmpl (draws a flat view of the messages inside a thread).
Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #160998 is a reply to message #160978] Mon, 09 November 2009 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you tell me where the text [message#xxx] is created in the title of a message displayed?

James.
Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #161000 is a reply to message #160998] Tue, 10 November 2009 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I figured out how to get the URL where I want it.

Now, I'm having a problem with inserting the URL of the current page. Is there a way to change the encoding on the special characters?

For instance, the URL I create that doesn't work is

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.eaglecentral.ca/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=19801&start=0&S=bc68cffba0714ecaf3f7098b1245ca8f

but the URL I get from using google's interface where I enter the URL by hand gives me

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eaglecentral.ca%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3Ft%3Dmsg%26th%3D19801%26start%3D0%26S%3Dbc68cffba0714ecaf3f7098b1245ca8f

So it looks like I need to substitute %3A for ":", ....

James.
Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #162011 is a reply to message #161000] Thu, 11 March 2010 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a quick update...

I never did get this working the way I wanted to. However, there is a new feature in Google's Chrome browser (using latest beta on Mac right now) that auto-detects if a page is in a different language and then creates a button at the top asking if you want to translate--works pretty well and very close to what I had in mind above. It doesn't always detect properly but it's close.

Cheers,

James.
Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #162965 is a reply to message #160534] Fri, 10 September 2010 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sidalo is currently offline  sidalo   Australia
VERY GOOD Very Happy
  • Attachment: images.jpg
    (Size: 11.61KB, Downloaded 780 times)
Re: Links to translate.google.com [message #163112 is a reply to message #161000] Tue, 28 September 2010 07:29 Go to previous message
goodmanmorx is currently offline  goodmanmorx
Thanks for ur information.....

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Settings: Require password only to update required information
Next Topic: [SOLVED] Feature suggestion: allow stripping out of ML tag from subject line
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue May 14 23:43:14 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03428 seconds