FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Unread messages
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Unread messages [message #163398] Mon, 25 October 2010 16:01 Go to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
I don't find the function useful in it's current shape where it shows all the messages.

It would be much nicer if it listed me the threads that contains those unread messages so i can pick and choose without having to scroll so much.

I am too tired to write this myself today, so I am hoping someone else can do some tweaking!

either add an option (which should be default) to show threads containing new messages, or scrap the whole "show all messages" function entirely, I actually doubt it is very used in its current form

Re: Unread messages [message #163406 is a reply to message #163398] Mon, 25 October 2010 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
To be honest, I've never really used it myself.
Let's hear what the other users think about it.
Re: Unread messages [message #164884 is a reply to message #163398] Tue, 29 March 2011 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anthony783 is currently offline  anthony783   United States
Ernesto wrote on Mon, 25 October 2010 12:01
I don't find the function useful in it's current shape where it shows all the messages.

It would be much nicer if it listed me the threads that contains those unread messages so i can pick and choose without having to scroll so much.

Has this been implemented?
Re: Unread messages [message #164885 is a reply to message #164884] Tue, 29 March 2011 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Unfortunately not. People are complaining about it, but nobody wants it badly enough to do something about it.
Re: Unread messages [message #164886 is a reply to message #164885] Tue, 29 March 2011 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anthony783 is currently offline  anthony783   United States
I might do it then. My forum members are pretty accustomed to it, coming from ProBoards.
Re: Unread messages [message #164891 is a reply to message #164886] Tue, 29 March 2011 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
That would be nice! Having it as a selectable option as "Ernesto" said would be a positive improvement.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Unread messages [message #164895 is a reply to message #164891] Wed, 30 March 2011 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
I have fixed it on my old codebase Razz

It doesn't sort properly since a column that we need isn't indexed (Guess that can be fixed Razz) but at least it's fast and it works for my users.

Yes yes, I know, it's not synced with the latest version, sharing it anyway.

I even threw in a few comments in it because I was PLANNING to release it to you guys also! - I just never got to finish it properly Razz

I am sure there are some template changes needed also, not sure. It is near impossible for me to tell hehe.

Since there isn't an index on the column we would want to sort on, I used group by instead of sort by. Result isn't perfect, but fast.
  • Attachment: selmsg.php.t
    (Size: 11.65KB, Downloaded 1084 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 30 March 2011 13:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unread messages [message #164897 is a reply to message #164895] Wed, 30 March 2011 14:20 Go to previous message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Well... I uploaded it to the forums /src directory and tried it, got nothing but code gibberish so I guess I'll wait till its compatible with 3.0.2.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Implement postgresql ts_query
Next Topic: maillist.php support for simple machines forum?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:04:40 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02728 seconds