FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Forum Styles » Dark-background theme (offered for inclusion in default distribution)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Dark-background theme [message #163440] Mon, 01 November 2010 17:39 Go to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat
Hello! I know I offered to make some contributions to FUDforum development coz I owe it to you. Unfortunately I've been off for a while but I did not forget my promise and intend to keep it.

So, one of the items on the list: can I offer a dark-background theme for inclusion in the default distribution because there isn't any while some people prefer it this way.

For dark background I would need to remake most of the images, at least the buttons and forum icons. Is it possible to obtain the source-files for those to make it cleanly and nicely looking in the FUD-forum style? Because I tried some negative inversion combinations on the ready buttons and it doesn't look too nice, and I can't make them better without sources.

This could also be useful for people who are creating their own kinds of dark themes (and I've seen quite a number of those in this forum!) so they wouldn't have to recreate all buttons from scratch but could use the buttons from that dark theme, all ready! I think those people would appreciate it a lot.

I could of course create other buttons for my personal use, but if this could be of benefit for the default set of themes offered, I think it would be nicer if I made them just like the current ones.

Or do you prefer me to make some sketch work with the CSS and color-inverted buttons to evaluate if I'm worth your trust?

Lady of Avalon
Re: Dark-background theme [message #163442 is a reply to message #163440] Mon, 01 November 2010 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
The original buttons were made with GIMP if I recall correctly, and once you get the hang of it, it's not so hard.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Dark-background theme [message #163445 is a reply to message #163442] Mon, 01 November 2010 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
I would suggest when you create your theme you style the buttons with CSS instead of offering whole images. It is a very old way of doing things and with the many languages it is much easier to add new buttons.

RAther create a CSS background or border, add a little image and then output the buttons name with {MSG:}

Like I have done here:
http://www.ginnunga.org/forums/smg/23498/237394/climbing-back-out-of-uncann y-valley-/

Re: Dark-background theme [message #163449 is a reply to message #163445] Tue, 02 November 2010 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat
The Witcher
I have skills to create any buttons, it's just that matching your style exactly would be a pain but if you don't need them, then why bother. I'm just looking for ways to repay Frank who did certain efforts for me and one of the things I offered to contribute was to make another good theme.

Ernesto
Thank you, I like that way better! Especially having a multinational forum. Although it would require to rewrite all the templates with buttons... but well, recreating all language buttons would probably be no less hustle.

May be FUDforum should consider switching to this CSS {MSG} type of buttons by default - will make localisation of custom themes for everyone a lot easier!

Lady of Avalon
Re: Dark-background theme [message #163557 is a reply to message #163449] Sun, 07 November 2010 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beAst is currently offline  beAst

А уже есть что-то? можно посмотреть? интересно просто Smile

And already there is something? I can see? Just wondering. Smile

• Attachment: tree_view.jpg
    (Size: 18.37KB, Downloaded 2128 times)
Re: Dark-background theme [message #163559 is a reply to message #163449] Sun, 07 November 2010 18:57 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Wild_Cat wrote:[/b
May be FUDforum should consider switching to this CSS {MSG} type of buttons by default - will make localisation of custom themes for everyone a lot easier!

I cannot agree more! It is just too difficult to style and localize image buttons.

BTW: The text needed for localized CSS3 buttons are already in the message files. See messages starting with btn_ (for example: btn_new_topic:New Topic).

Now we just need someone to design the buttons for us.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: i dont know how to do it
Next Topic: Userinfo - style CSS ContentTable
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:54:59 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02643 seconds