FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » It appears my forum is banning people
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
It appears my forum is banning people [message #163614] Thu, 18 November 2010 18:39 Go to next message
Chiz is currently offline  Chiz   Ireland
Is there
a)anyway I could see who is doing it

B) anyway it could be doing it itself as all admin say it isn't them

Logs don't show anything and it is getting really annoying as we are all getting the blame
Re: It appears my forum is banning people [message #163615 is a reply to message #163614] Fri, 19 November 2010 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
I'm just glad it doesn't happen on my forums Smile

On a more serious note, we should probably log ban/unban requests.
Please add a request to FUDforum 3.0.3.
Re: It appears my forum is banning people [message #163616 is a reply to message #163615] Fri, 19 November 2010 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It won't let me make the request :/
Re: It appears my forum is banning people [message #163621 is a reply to message #163616] Sat, 20 November 2010 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
What do you mean it won't let you make the request?
Re: It appears my forum is banning people [message #163625 is a reply to message #163621] Sat, 20 November 2010 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ah, found the problem (on the wiki) and fixed it.
Can you please try to post it again?
icon6.gif  Re: It appears my forum is banning people [message #163627 is a reply to message #163614] Sat, 20 November 2010 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Back to the original issue:

This is the type of issue which prompted me to get involved with the admin side of forums to begin with.

In my case I was just a lowly forum user who noticed a whole lot of things going on that had no apparent reason or just weren't right (such as unexplained bans etc) and I wanted to know the why and how of it.

I ultimately discovered that several users had and were sharing logins and passwords (including Admin and Mod passwords), even the dial up access of other users was being shared, just so they could play mind games with other users for the fun of it.

The only way I know of to deal with such an issue for certain is the nuclear option of starting over from scratch which is probably unacceptable to you.

I would instead recommend that you secure your forum, take a backup and install it on a disposable sub forum and database, reassign new passwords for all Admins and mods, and mandate that they use domain based e-mail for admin activity (just incase their regular e-mail is compromised).

Then reinstall using the new data, preferably you would change your database user and access as well.... How you inform your Admins and mods what their new login/password/and or e-mail is up to you.

NOTE: When you first assign Admin Privileges you get this warning

Quote:
WARNING: Making Username an administrator will give this person full administration permissions to the forum. This individual will be able to do anything with the forum, including taking away your own administration permissions.

Take it to heart, because you are giving someone else the keys to your kingdom!

Any system can be manipulated from within, so be wary about who you give access to.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: It appears my forum is banning people [message #163631 is a reply to message #163627] Sat, 20 November 2010 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
There should be only you and max one more that has administrator rights of a forum.

Perhaps this is just one user that keeps getting banned? There is an option to set a special banning cookie in the general settings, perhaps that has something to do with your problem?

Re: It appears my forum is banning people [message #163632 is a reply to message #163631] Sat, 20 November 2010 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ernesto wrote:
There is an option to set a special banning cookie in the general settings...

The settings is called Bust'A'Punk:

"When a user is banned set a special cookie that will try to make sure that this user remains banned."
Re: It appears my forum is banning people [message #163646 is a reply to message #163631] Sun, 21 November 2010 12:53 Go to previous message
Ernesto wrote on Sat, 20 November 2010 11:47
There should be only you and max one more that has administrator rights of a forum.

Perhaps this is just one user that keeps getting banned? There is an option to set a special banning cookie in the general settings, perhaps that has something to do with your problem?

There are 4 of us with Admin rights

There has to be a good few cause we have a few problems with person info being given out and stuff along with other crap Laughing, Two of them have always been admins and I do trust them, other 1 is great so I doubt its him

I reckon 1 of the mods might be up to something

Anyway will try what has been suggested and hopefully it'll be ok
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Anonymous Post has to be moderated when it should not have to
Next Topic: slect all messages box within private messages
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:21:23 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03172 seconds