FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » On-Line backup method (Tranfer posts on-the fly)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon12.gif  On-Line backup method [message #163739] Mon, 29 November 2010 08:50 Go to next message
Atomicrun is currently offline  Atomicrun   Sweden
I have a little thought ... would it be possible to arrange an on-line backup, incremental, on forum updates such as new discussions, answers, and edits. The output would be a set of numbered files. I would then like to transfer these files to an identical forum set-up, and then reverse the process; installing the updates!
I don't consider any administrator updates (from forum/adm/ files), only the usual "user" updates.

I don't think this would be of any real value for anyone else, unless you need a plug-in backup server fully updated. Would it be possible for those with knowledge in the inner-workings of the forum to please contact me, and give some hints of possible problems, or of the correct way of approach?
... this is for a mobile application.
Re: On-Line backup method [message #163743 is a reply to message #163739] Mon, 29 November 2010 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
There are third party software that handles this, although it would be nice to have it, I think setting up a proper backup system is the better choice than to make it builtinto the forum software, since very often (if not always) it requires chron jobs or schedueled tasks on the serverside.

You can always make a forum backup from the admin panel that you can later import but it is not ideal if you have many file attachments or large attachments, for example.

What you want is a SH script that checks the files, copies over newer files into a new dir and leave another folder with redundant info behind - IE keeps a shadow of each week, and then sorts all the new stuff into a "latest backup" where all the files are up to date daily.

What you really want is the database, the messagefiles and the attachments, so every day you do an SQL dump with a chronjob, (not accessible from the web, of course) and then you check for all files that have changed in the DATA_DIR and copy it over into your latest_update folder. Once a week, you copy the entire DATA_ROOT and WWW_ROOT into a folder with a dataname, for example weekly_backup_2010-11-28 in case the daily update gets messed up or you wanna do a rollback.

Then on a rolling backup, monthly, you delete the old backups, and keep the thing rolling.

There should be either installable scripts/software that does this automatically, or you can write your own shellscript.

That's at least how I'd do it if you dont have RAID mirrors, etc.

Re: On-Line backup method [message #163769 is a reply to message #163743] Tue, 30 November 2010 06:49 Go to previous message
Atomicrun is currently offline  Atomicrun   Sweden
But I don't need any backup. It is just to explain in simple terms. Both web servers will run simultaneously, and updates will flow using off-line/asynchronous means. In both directions. This is an application. My alternative would be to write a forum software in C ( !! Cool Cool !!). Now, can anyone with detailed knowledge please give me some encouragement? This is not a "feature" request. I do all the work!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Question about email loggin
Next Topic: Getting specific share-this icons
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:07:28 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02320 seconds