FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Cron.php
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Cron.php [message #164162] Fri, 07 January 2011 05:33 Go to next message
Kiwi is currently offline  Kiwi
I'm wanting to run my cron.php more often than my current web host allows. They limit me to a cron job once every 15 mins.

For various reasons I'd prefer not to change host, I'm wondering whether there is a work round I could use. I'm thinking some thing along the lines of using a free service such as http://www.onlinecronjobs.com to run additional jobs. It would however mean that I need to put a copy of the cron.php into my public web files. I'm also presuming I may need to make some changes to it to reflect its new location.

Are there any issues with doing this that I should be aware of?
Re: Cron.php [message #164163 is a reply to message #164162] Fri, 07 January 2011 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Kiwi wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 23:33
I'm wanting to run my cron.php more often than my current web host allows. They limit me to a cron job once every 15 mins.

Why? It seems like that's all you'd be doing 24/7/365!

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Cron.php [message #164165 is a reply to message #164163] Fri, 07 January 2011 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 05:54
Kiwi wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 23:33

Why? It seems like that's all you'd be doing 24/7/365!

Why would I be doing it myself????? I don't understand your question given what I am suggesting would be all automated.

The reason why I want the cron to run more frequently is to ensure messages from the mailing list get picked up more frequently than every 15 minutes. The ideal would be every two or three minutes so that messages on the forum and on the associated mailing list don't get out of context.
Re: Cron.php [message #164170 is a reply to message #164165] Fri, 07 January 2011 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally I don't even know how to implement a chron job myself although I do understand that it is an automated action, and I generally think of it in terms of backups.

I was just curious why you would want to run one so often, since to my mind such things take some measure of resources away from other things (thus the imposed limits) , keeping the mailing list in context makes more sense in this case just like my mail system checks mail every 15 minutes so it does not hit me all at once even though I don't get that much daily.

Overall I am just weighing the pros and cons as to which are the best options for me, which does not mean they are the best for everyone.

Re: Cron.php [message #164186 is a reply to message #164170] Sat, 08 January 2011 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my tests I noticed that some of my messages were entering the forum in the wrong order. I can imagine on a really busy forum it would be critical.

Is there anyone who I should direct my original question to. I'm quite keen to get an answer before doing this in case there are security issues etc. There must have been a reason why the cron.php was put in the non-public area in the first place!
Re: Cron.php [message #164189 is a reply to message #164186] Sat, 08 January 2011 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kiwi wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 21:42
In my tests I noticed that some of my messages were entering the forum in the wrong order. I can imagine on a really busy forum it would be critical.

Is there anyone who I should direct my original question to. I'm quite keen to get an answer before doing this in case there are security issues etc. There must have been a reason why the cron.php was put in the non-public area in the first place!

If you have read and searched here you already know who the most knowledgeable ones are, and just how little information has been shared/posted about cron jobs.

Off hand I'd say there are definitely security issues if you are talking about placing executable files in your public areas.

Re: Cron.php [message #164191 is a reply to message #164189] Sat, 08 January 2011 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would be great if someone who knows about things could confirm what the situation is.
Re: Cron.php [message #164203 is a reply to message #164191] Sat, 08 January 2011 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
If it's in a public area, anyone can trigger it. So if I found out and wanted some online lulz, I would trigger your cron.php a thousand times a second until your server crashed.

Re: Cron.php [message #164281 is a reply to message #164203] Tue, 18 January 2011 13:29 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Here is a version of cron.php that can run from the command line or the web.
http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=5102&view=rev

Copy it to your forum's WWW Root directory and invoke with http://forumurl/cron.php
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Plugin configuration
Next Topic: Addthis icons missing
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon May 06 15:59:09 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02520 seconds