FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Some Bugs Found by Users
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Some Bugs Found by Users [message #164246] Fri, 14 January 2011 14:01 Go to next message
hellomynameis is currently offline  hellomynameis   United States
We opened up a section for user "Tech Support," as we just started the forums Monday. Here are some things they have found, where most seem like they may be bugs.

- Poll result graphs get both vertically and horizontally larger, instead of just horizontally.
- Extra <br> tags inserted above each section of list contents. (Space around bullets)
- Can't right click and open posts in new window while in tree view. Could potentially be fixed by:
Current HTML:
<A href="javascript://" onclick="something(1234);">

Would need to look like:
<A href="http://www.soundfor...." onclick="something(1234); return(false);">

- Button Alignment: "Once in a while certain threads don't line up correctly. This capture was from the Product Reviews section. It happens occasionally (maybe one out of 5-10 pages for me), but not every time, and not always on the same threads. The problem seems to be that the buttons are rendered too low - they aren't inline with the other elements that are left justified. Using IE8."
- Flat view: Can't sort the messages in a thread with the most recent at the top.

Thanks

[Updated on: Fri, 14 January 2011 14:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Some Bugs Found by Users [message #164259 is a reply to message #164246] Sun, 16 January 2011 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
I don't think these are necessarily bugs, but rather feature/enhancement requests.
We should probably try to get some of them into the next release.
Patches would obviously be very very welcome!
Some more potential bugs [message #164284 is a reply to message #164246] Tue, 18 January 2011 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Current bugs:
- Rankings don't get updated until user posts. (Changed ranking names, all are blank except those who posted since the change in ranking names)
- Poll size increases both vertically and horizontally, should be just horizontal.
- Date of births are showing up as random years. Generally 1999 and 2000, even though a proper year was entered at registration.

See this "tech support" thread on our forum. A lot of users have been seeing problems with tree view:

http://www.soundforums.net/index.php/t/255/
Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164291 is a reply to message #164284] Wed, 19 January 2011 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
You have already reported this and they have been adressed. Are you a spammer? =)

Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164306 is a reply to message #164291] Wed, 19 January 2011 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
W.r.t. issue 1 - It may help to read the documentation:

"After making any modifications you MUST run the 'Cache Rebuilder' by clicking on the link at the top of the Rank Manager form."

For details see Rank Manager.
Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164307 is a reply to message #164306] Wed, 19 January 2011 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've just tested tree view on your forum and it works perfectly fine.

BTW: The tree view uses AJAX. It will appear broken for users with JavaScript disabled or with defunct browsers.
Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164308 is a reply to message #164307] Wed, 19 January 2011 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
What do you mean with: "Poll size increases both vertically and horizontally, should be just horizontal."
Please let us know how to simulate the problem.
Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164310 is a reply to message #164308] Wed, 19 January 2011 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Here is a patch to fix the invalid birthday issue:
http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=5103&view=rev
Apply, rebuild your themes and edit/save the user's profile whenever you see an invalid birthday year.
Re: Some Bugs Found by Users [message #164312 is a reply to message #164246] Wed, 19 January 2011 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
hellomynameis wrote:
Would need to look like:
<A href="http://www.soundfor...." onclick="something(1234); return(false);">

Here is a patch you can try:
http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=5104&view=rev
Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164313 is a reply to message #164306] Thu, 20 January 2011 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, thanks for the updates. We definitely appreciate the time you put into all of this.

naudefj wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 10:54
W.r.t. issue 1 - It may help to read the documentation:

"After making any modifications you MUST run the 'Cache Rebuilder' by clicking on the link at the top of the Rank Manager form."

For details see Rank Manager.

We have been running the "Cache Rebuilder" after making modifications, as there was a note on that admin page telling us to do so.

naudefj wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 11:06
What do you mean with: "Poll size increases both vertically and horizontally, should be just horizontal."
Please let us know how to simulate the problem.

I just created a poll on there.

http://www.soundforums.net/index.php/m/2392/?#msg_2392

Here is a screenshot of the current result:

index.php?t=getfile&id=6074&private=0

On past installations of FUDforum, the bars would only increase in length horizontally, not vertically, and the vertical size of the rows would be the same before they had any votes.
Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164315 is a reply to message #164313] Thu, 20 January 2011 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It's a problem on your forum (custom CSS that overwrites IMG height?).

This is how it looks like on all the other forums:
http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=164314
Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164344 is a reply to message #164315] Mon, 24 January 2011 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 21:56
It's a problem on your forum (custom CSS that overwrites IMG height?).

This is how it looks like on all the other forums:
http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=164314

You're right, when resizing images, I set the height to "auto." That line was also affecting the poll sizes. Is there any way to have that only affect the images in posts?

Also, today a few users were mentioning that links were going to random posts on the forum. I also managed to run into the problem. Clicking on the "Tech Support" section brought me to a random post in the "Basement" section.

I'm not sure what could be causing that, as it hasn't been brought up previously.

From a user:

Quote:
Started having a problem today where I click a link to a forum, thread, or even PMs and the page loads a random post from somewhere else on the site. If I hit "back" and reselect the target link, it loads properly. Forum s/w bug? Cache issue?

[Updated on: Mon, 24 January 2011 22:58]

Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164345 is a reply to message #164344] Tue, 25 January 2011 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, we can't delete posts from the moderation queue page. In some threads, the forum home page is being reproduced below the thread. I can't upload it here, but if anyone wants to take a look, I can send an attachment of the saved page.

In the past week, we switched to search engine friendly URLs, and applied the patches posted earlier in this thread.
Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164346 is a reply to message #164345] Tue, 25 January 2011 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sounds like most of the errors you are getting are self-created when you have edited your templates or something similair. There is just simly no way that with the default setup of FUDforum that some of the errors you have explained will appear.

Onwards to a free CSS lesson:

To define a max-width or similar to an image in a post, use CSS.

The tag that contains message text is span.MsgBodyText

So, to affect images inside a post, you would write the CSS rule like this:

span.MsgBodyText img {
max-width: 100px;
}

(smileys are also images)

A great tool for design purposes is Firebug which is an addon to Firefox. With that you can inspect elements on the page as well as edit the CSS to preview changes.

When you switched to path_info theme, did you create a new theme based on the path_info template set?

[Updated on: Tue, 25 January 2011 05:07]

Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164347 is a reply to message #164346] Tue, 25 January 2011 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spent 10 minutes clicking around on your forum. Also read the tech threads.

About the bulletlist, it does indeed add one extra linebreak, it is however, hard to fix.

Like this:
----------------
List below me

• Test
  • Test

-----------------
List below me
  • Test
  • Test

------------------------
List below me

• Test

• Test

Yet again, to remove some extra space, you have to use CSS

span.MsgBodyText ul {
margin: 0px
}

etc etc

[Updated on: Tue, 25 January 2011 05:22]

Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164348 is a reply to message #164347] Tue, 25 January 2011 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Come to think of it, wonder if not some of the problems are created by the tree view jquery stuff. Hrmm. I never use tree view myself since it's so slow (since I have to click on each post to read it, wda) but maybe. hrmm.

The moderation queue delete things just sounds like the URL for the delete key is malformed. Does the URL contain {DEF: _rsid} at the end? Or maybe also even ?SQ={GVAR: sq} ?

Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164349 is a reply to message #164346] Tue, 25 January 2011 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 00:05
It sounds like most of the errors you are getting are self-created when you have edited your templates or something similair. There is just simly no way that with the default setup of FUDforum that some of the errors you have explained will appear.

Onwards to a free CSS lesson:

To define a max-width or similar to an image in a post, use CSS.

The tag that contains message text is span.MsgBodyText

So, to affect images inside a post, you would write the CSS rule like this:

span.MsgBodyText img {
max-width: 100px;
}

(smileys are also images)

A great tool for design purposes is Firebug which is an addon to Firefox. With that you can inspect elements on the page as well as edit the CSS to preview changes.

When you switched to path_info theme, did you create a new theme based on the path_info template set?

I'll try out the change to the image CSS. I had it in the actual "image" section of the CSS, so as you mentioned, it was affecting every image on the forum.

I'll also install Firebug.

The URL for the "Delete" link is:
http://www.soundforums.net/index.php/del/3058/?SQ=8e188b3df630f90db5b0a0b167162f77

It constantly will bring me to the forum home page though.

When we switched to path_info style URLs, we didn't create a new them. I went into Theme Manager, selected "Edit" next to the default theme. I set it for the path_info template set. Could that be causing the issues?
Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164350 is a reply to message #164349] Wed, 26 January 2011 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried undoing the tree view/java patch, and rebuilt the theme. The issue was still there, so I'll assume that can be ruled out. It seems to be happening at random throughout the entire forum.
Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164351 is a reply to message #164349] Thu, 27 January 2011 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hellomynameis wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 12:41

When we switched to path_info style URLs, we didn't create a new them. I went into Theme Manager, selected "Edit" next to the default theme. I set it for the path_info template set. Could that be causing the issues?

Yes

You have to create a new one, based on the path_info template as far as I know.

Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164352 is a reply to message #164351] Thu, 27 January 2011 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or (thanks to Frank who told me) you can from a command prompt "touch DATA_ROOT/thm/default/path_info" that might also fix your problem.

Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164353 is a reply to message #164352] Thu, 27 January 2011 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto wrote on Wed, 26 January 2011 22:40
Or (thanks to Frank who told me) you can from a command prompt "touch DATA_ROOT/thm/default/path_info" that might also fix your problem.

Just tried that. It didn't fix the issue though.

I created a new theme based of path_info. Does that take all of the edits I've made to tmpl files into the new theme? Some layout things have changed, while the majority are still there.

Users are still having the random link issue, also, entire topics' threads are showing up below the one they are viewing.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 January 2011 13:08]

Re: Some more potential bugs [message #164562 is a reply to message #164353] Thu, 17 February 2011 03:16 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
The marker file is ".path_info" (note the dot).
Create it as an empty file or copy it from the path_info theme.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: global vars setup page
Next Topic: blank content part of admin screen on saving changes
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 10 21:30:15 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02655 seconds