FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Translations » Slovak translation
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Slovak translation [message #15907] Fri, 09 January 2004 11:03 Go to next message
mexxx is currently offline  mexxx   Slovakia
Hi,

I'm working on the slovak translation of the fudforum, I'm almost done (however I've tranlated version 2.5.2 and now I've noticed that there are few new lines in version 2.6.0, but that's ok) I'm having problems with the file format I'm using. I did the tranlation in ultraedit editor in unicode format, I tried to convert it to different txt formats but without success. I'm getting characters like ßÜך in the forum instead of something like čťýᝨľúäňô which are slovak characters.
I'm attaching the file I did unicode and some converted (files are not final version yet, they include my comments and symbols e.g. "!")

can anybody help me which format to convert it (which program to use (win32))

thnx

mexxx
  • Attachment: msg.zip
    (Size: 63.91KB, Downloaded 2588 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 09 January 2004 11:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Slovak translation [message #15913 is a reply to message #15907] Fri, 09 January 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You can use PHP's iconv() extension to convert from UTF-8 to whatever charset you want. When you do so, be sure to only convert the translated text, not the entire file Smile.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Slovak translation [message #16418 is a reply to message #15913] Thu, 29 January 2004 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ufff...

I feel like a lamer. I can't make it work, the php function is unrecognized in my version of php.

So I tried to do it other way, keep the file in UTF-8 format, and to set the theme to be displayed in this format. How to do it? I've changed the content of charset file into "UTF-8". But the browser doesn't display it in the utf-8 format(I have to switch it manualy to make it work). My locale variable in theme manager stayed "english" after setting the language as "Slovak". I tried to change it to "slovak", but it didn't help. What else shoud I do?

I found out that turkish translation is made in the UTF format too, how did you set the locale file in i18n folder to tr_TR.UTF-8, while in the theme manager it shows "english"? I tried to change my locale file to it to sk_SK.UTF-8, but it didn't help. If I create theme with turkish language, it works just fine, turkish characters are displayed correctly and the browser is set to UTF-8. How to set slovak language in i18n to do the same thing????

can anybody plz help me.

Thnx a lot.

Re: Slovak translation [message #16419 is a reply to message #16418] Thu, 29 January 2004 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Did you rebuild the theme after making the change?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Slovak translation [message #16424 is a reply to message #16419] Thu, 29 January 2004 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, of course I did. but it didn't help. Sad

how was the turkish theme made? I need to do it the same way.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 January 2004 22:22]

Re: Slovak translation [message #16425 is a reply to message #16424] Thu, 29 January 2004 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Not sure. You may want to ask the translator, all I did was added the file to the CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Slovak translation [message #16430 is a reply to message #16425] Fri, 30 January 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for now I've solved it by replacing:

{META-CONTENT-LANGUAGE}

with

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

in my header.tmpl file.

It's working now, but I think that it's kind of brute-force solution. and you have to do this in every theme you create.

I found out that during the theme compilation the {META-CONTENT-LANGUAGE} tag is replaced by html meta tag. where does char_set in charset='.$GLOBALS['char_set']. expression come from??? I need to set this char_set variable to UTF-8, but I can't find where is it comming from, it's not the locale, nor charset file in my tmpl/i18n/slovak directory. So where does it come from?

mexxx

[Updated on: Fri, 30 January 2004 08:59]

Re: Slovak translation [message #16438 is a reply to message #16430] Fri, 30 January 2004 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The charset is fetched from 'charset' file that can be found inside every translation.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Slovak translation [message #54106 is a reply to message #15907] Thu, 17 July 2008 11:02 Go to previous message
Jaro   Slovakia
Try to change character set.

ISO-8852 and Windows-1250 were developed for Central European languages.

In general, if you had written your file in Notepad or Wordpad, you should use Windows-1250, otherwise you can use ISO-8852.

To find out more information on encoding, you can go to http://www.jakpsatweb.cz/cestina.html.

Good luck.

Jaro
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Updated Simple Chinese translation
Next Topic: Hungarian translation
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:08:22 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02379 seconds