FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Add a download page to menu
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Add a download page to menu [message #164528] Tue, 15 February 2011 00:37 Go to next message
Bradley is currently offline  Bradley
After browsing this forum for an hour, it's still not obvious where to dl fudforum. This is a major issue. Most will go elsewhere, I'm going to find it using google. Please add it to a top menu
Re: Add a download page to menu [message #164529 is a reply to message #164528] Tue, 15 February 2011 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Sorry it's not always obvious but is under Documentation, which is the 1st forum on the page which redirects to all pertinent information including downloads.

Quote:
FUDforum Documentation
Redirect to FUDforum's Documentation and Development Wiki. Here you'll find download links, the FAQ, and much more.

To download FUDforum ver.3.0.2 zip directly, go here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fudforum/files/

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Add a download page to menu [message #164530 is a reply to message #164529] Tue, 15 February 2011 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
He is right, there are no strong links on where to download, how to install, etc.

More links for the people!

Re: Add a download page to menu [message #164541 is a reply to message #164530] Tue, 15 February 2011 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the "Documentation" redirect link is sufficient but would agree that it could be emphasized some to make it more noticeable! I also think we could use some more detailed descriptions on how to do things (not all users have as much knowledge as you and naudefj have).

Re: Add a download page to menu [message #164543 is a reply to message #164529] Wed, 16 February 2011 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher wrote on Mon, 14 February 2011 19:46
Sorry it's not always obvious but is under Documentation, which is the 1st forum on the page which redirects to all pertinent information including downloads.

Quote:
FUDforum Documentation
Redirect to FUDforum's Documentation and Development Wiki. Here you'll find download links, the FAQ, and much more.

To download FUDforum ver.3.0.2 zip directly, go here: CANNOT POST LINK AS I ONLY HAVE 1 PREV MSG

you shouldn't have to explain where to download the software! imo, "download" is more important than members, or "calendar" above, and i don't think putting the link under the doc forum is sufficient. i've never looked under the docs link for a download link. shouldn't it just be a simple link in a template? you could set up a url rewrite if you wanted to point to a particular page"
Re: Add a download page to menu [message #164545 is a reply to message #164543] Wed, 16 February 2011 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bradley wrote on Wed, 16 February 2011 10:03
you shouldn't have to explain where to download the software! imo, "download" is more important than members, or "calendar" above, and i don't think putting the link under the doc forum is sufficient. i've never looked under the docs link for a download link. shouldn't it just be a simple link in a template? you could set up a url rewrite if you wanted to point to a particular page"

You are right I shouldn't have to explain!

Things like 'Members" and "Calendar" are integral parts of the Forum installation itself..... Download software is not! What you are suggesting is that this software installation be rewritten or modified because you missed something that was not prominently displayed enough for you and that is simply not practical.

There may come a time in the future when there is an integral FTP function and associated download function incorporated into the forum similar to the calendar function, but I doubt that will be anytime in the near future, the software already supports limited uploading and downloading files of many types directly into the users posts but that function is limited by the size of the Hosts PHP.ini file and associated permissions.

That alone would not be sufficient for this forums purpose of support and development, the wiki and source forge do however add those Development functionalities and are well used as tools in support of the further development of FUDforum.

In response to your question the Documentation link has already been emphasized, and perhaps in time it will be made even more noticeable but for now its position as the 1st Forum on the first page, with links in red will just have to do.

Of course you can always add your own download link to your own forum.

Re: Add a download page to menu [message #164547 is a reply to message #164545] Wed, 16 February 2011 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
uhm, you're missing my point. i don't want to add a download link to my forum - why on earth would i want to do that? i'd like to see a download link ON THIS SITE to download the software that is being made here. After all, this is THE fudforum website. how do you expect people to use FUDForum if they can't find it to download?

this is a site to promote fud forum, and that means making it accessible!
Re: Add a download page to menu [message #164551 is a reply to message #164547] Wed, 16 February 2011 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bradley wrote on Wed, 16 February 2011 12:28
uhm, you're missing my point. i don't want to add a download link to my forum - why on earth would i want to do that? i'd like to see a download link ON THIS SITE to download the software that is being made here. After all, this is THE fudforum website. how do you expect people to use FUDForum if they can't find it to download?

To be quite honest I don't believe I have ever encountered anyone who could not find the download.

Re: Add a download page to menu [message #164553 is a reply to message #164551] Wed, 16 February 2011 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi, pleased to meet you. this isn't personal. please don't take it so.

what ernesto said is correct - "more links for the people".

The Witcher wrote on Wed, 16 February 2011 14:52
Bradley wrote on Wed, 16 February 2011 12:28

To be quite honest I don't believe I have ever encountered anyone who could not find the download.

Re: Add a download page to menu [message #164556 is a reply to message #164553] Wed, 16 February 2011 22:44 Go to previous message
No offence taken or intended, I understand what you meant, and I believe I correctly understood how it was meant. Yet I obviously see it differently than you do.

I don't disagree with the idea of having more links to pertinent information http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=159742&#msg_159742 , just how it is or should be done. And I don't believe adding a download link in the users menu is the solution.

I do believe that making the current links More visible and recognizable is a better idea for several reasons.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Cancel Button on Post Page
Next Topic: should the "new topic" button be shown...
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:45:30 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02176 seconds