FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164566] Thu, 17 February 2011 07:52 Go to next message
Bradley is currently offline  Bradley
other than simply pulling it out of the template is there a way to disable it? i can't see an option for it
Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164567 is a reply to message #164566] Thu, 17 February 2011 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
ACP -> Global Settings Manager -> Allow Action List

"Enable/disable the ability for forum users to see what other forum users are doing."
Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164591 is a reply to message #164567] Fri, 18 February 2011 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i did that and it was still showing - i was logged in as the admin at the time. this was frustrating me, until i noticed it wasn't there for everyone else. maybe a note about this in the config page just to explain wouldn't go amiss?
Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164595 is a reply to message #164591] Fri, 18 February 2011 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
I have noticed that there are some things which seem to remain as legacy user options even after they have been changed... Other options only remain until the themes are rebuilt, a consistency check ran or the cache expires/refreshes. So perhaps a better place to place notes on this might be in the help pages.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164598 is a reply to message #164595] Fri, 18 February 2011 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true, but as something which affects my forum directly and could make one think of it as a bug, i think a short note (Note: Will still be visible for admins) on the config page wouldn't take much room nor go amiss!
Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164601 is a reply to message #164598] Fri, 18 February 2011 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agreed however one of the issues with FUDforum is attempting to keep the size as small as possible, so every thing that is added increases the size of the download.

As already mentioned there are a great many comment/instructions and notes that could be made clearer etc..... and that will only come in time.

The note in the help file is something that you could do now and as such is a more viable action which I'm sure would be later implemented into the forum installation with time.

Remember the forum needs to meet the needs of a great many people, not just you and I so we need to think in those terms.

Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164602 is a reply to message #164601] Fri, 18 February 2011 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher wrote on Fri, 18 February 2011 10:35

Remember the forum needs to meet the needs of a great many people, not just you and I so we need to think in those terms.

oh but i am, see all my suggestions! Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2011 15:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164605 is a reply to message #164602] Fri, 18 February 2011 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I've seen your suggestions, you've been quite prolific however I'm looking for answers but being completely self taught with little in the way of in-depth knowledge limits my abilities to resolve those suggestions other than trying to seek clarification, understand and look at them from my perspective and share them with you.

You obviously have quite a bit of knowledge I don't have, I'd love to pick your brain for some answers I don't have but that will come in time.... Bottom line is that the more we know and share the better off we will all be.

Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164607 is a reply to message #164605] Fri, 18 February 2011 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't let being self-taught stop you from doing anything. everything i know, i've taught myself. and maybe... if you have certain questions, then you could ask them in my forum if you're interested.. Smile
Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164610 is a reply to message #164607] Fri, 18 February 2011 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No fear, and the only thing that has ever stopped me is my inability to type, and lack of drive assistance or cooperation but not necessarily in that order, though I would need a link.

Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164612 is a reply to message #164591] Sat, 19 February 2011 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Bradley wrote:
yeah, i did that and it was still showing - i was logged in as the admin at the time. this was frustrating me, until i noticed it wasn't there for everyone else. maybe a note about this in the config page just to explain wouldn't go amiss?

Strange! When I disable it on my forum the link disappears immediately (even for admin). What do we do now?
Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164616 is a reply to message #164612] Sat, 19 February 2011 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the default template in 3.0.1 has some code like is (2 & xyz || $is_a) so it's a theme thing i think maybe..
Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164618 is a reply to message #164616] Sat, 19 February 2011 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I have it as (logedin.tmpl):
{IF: ($FUD_OPT_1 & 536870912)}{TEMPLATE: i_spy}{ENDIF}

Where 536870912 == ACTION_LIST_ENABLED as per Binary options.
Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164620 is a reply to message #164618] Sat, 19 February 2011 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can't actually find it now, what template is it in?

naudefj wrote on Sat, 19 February 2011 11:22
Where 536870912 == ACTION_LIST_ENABLED as per Binary options.

speaking of which, can they be replaced with variables / constants as necessary so real people can understand them, without having to do a degree in binary mathematics first!

the templating system is beyond crazy difficult to wrap ones head around and actually use, is there any planned work on it?
Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164624 is a reply to message #164620] Sat, 19 February 2011 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Bradley wrote:
i can't actually find it now, what template is it in?

I gave you the name of the template. Please read the quoted post again.

Bradley wrote:
the templating system is beyond crazy difficult to wrap ones head around and actually use, is there any planned work on it?

No not really, but patches are always welcome.
Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164626 is a reply to message #164624] Sat, 19 February 2011 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, that's a shame.
Re: how do i remove the "show what people are doing" link? [message #164627 is a reply to message #164626] Sun, 20 February 2011 04:04 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Bradley wrote:
oh, that's a shame.

Yes, but that's typical of open source projects, isn't it?
Nobody gets paid to work on the features you want to introduce.
To get you wish list implemented, you need to develop patches, pay someone to do it, or wait until someone with similar requirements do it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: import issues
Next Topic: have i found the missing link?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 10 14:42:23 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02384 seconds