FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Moderators losing Admin Control Panel when updating Profile
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Moderators losing Admin Control Panel when updating Profile [message #164876] Sun, 27 March 2011 04:26 Go to next message
anthony783 is currently offline  anthony783   United States
My moderators are losing their Admin Control Panel when they update their profile. Is this a bug or am I not configuring my moderator's account correctly?
Re: Moderators losing Admin Control Panel when updating Profile [message #164877 is a reply to message #164876] Sun, 27 March 2011 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Do you mean the "Account Moderator's" or the regular "Moderators"?

Only the Admins and the Account Moderator's have an admin control panel (and they are radically different), the ordinary Moderators don't have access to an admin control panel.

The regular moderators names are in bright green in the members list, while the Account Moderator's names will appear normally (unless the admin manually assigns a profile link color).

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Moderators losing Admin Control Panel when updating Profile [message #164879 is a reply to message #164877] Sun, 27 March 2011 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anthony783 is currently offline  anthony783   United States
The Witcher wrote on Sun, 27 March 2011 09:00
Do you mean the "Account Moderator's" or the regular "Moderators"?

Only the Admins and the Account Moderator's have an admin control panel (and they are radically different), the ordinary Moderators don't have access to an admin control panel.

Sorry about that, I did mean Account Moderator.

Any idea why their updating their profiles toggles them back to NO for Account Moderator?
Re: Moderators losing Admin Control Panel when updating Profile [message #164880 is a reply to message #164879] Sun, 27 March 2011 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
No need to be sorry I just wanted to be sure what you meant.

anthony783 wrote on Sun, 27 March 2011 12:01

Any idea why their updating their profiles toggles them back to NO for Account Moderator?

I cannot say for certain though I'd guess it offers fail-safe security for a permission that is very powerful yet has not received a lot of attention, remember this is still a development forum and is still being refined, added to and improved!

I was able to reproduce the issue by promoting a user and then changing their e-mail addy and updating their profile, after which their Account Moderator permission was toggled off.

I checked it again by changing the Bibliography, and once again by simply updating the profile without making any change all with the same result...

Note: I noticed that the Account Moderator did not appear in the Admin Control Panel's privileged user list (before or after).

Personally I think that toggling their Account Moderator permission off when their e-mail or password change is probably a good thing. Particularly since Account Moderator's don't appear in the privileged users list or display a different color profile link.

Though I would like to see some sort of admin approval/action required when their profile changes significantly (it's toggling off does have that effect though it's certainly not very elegant or user friendly yet).

I'm confident that in time this aspect of the forum will receive more attention and refinement but that may take time.

I would advise caution when assigning Account Moderator's (AKA Super Moderators) in the interim, and I'm sure Naudefj or Ernesto may have some more useful input.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Moderators losing Admin Control Panel when updating Profile [message #164901 is a reply to message #164880] Thu, 31 March 2011 06:52 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Fix is available at
http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=5197&view=rev
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Add & display profile custom field
Next Topic: drupal with fudforum
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:42:07 GMT 2024