FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Account Settings Argument
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Account Settings Argument [message #165429] Fri, 17 June 2011 20:29 Go to next message
Dayo is currently offline  Dayo   Bahrain
Not a biggie and slipped my mind earlier but there are a number of different situations where the same "t=register" argument is used.

I had to skip some elements of handling these, and use some hacks for others, in the fudla plugin for this reason as I couldn't reliably determine whether a request was for account settings and a straightforward registration request.

It seems the way things work is that the account settings are shown for that argument if the user is already logged in which I suppose is fine and why I say it is not a biggie but would it be better structured if the account settings call had its own specific argument, say, "t=acctsettings" ?

Re: Account Settings Argument [message #165434 is a reply to message #165429] Sat, 18 June 2011 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
It sounds like a lot of work for very little return.

We will have to split the register.tmpl template, which will probably lead to code duplication.
Re: Account Settings Argument [message #165435 is a reply to message #165434] Sat, 18 June 2011 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't recommend doing anything drastic and the way I'll recommend is to create an "accsettings.php" file which simply includes the existing register.php which I presume would be much less work.

As I understand things, index.php will then load this new file and we will end up at the same register.php code as before but would have followed a separate and clearly defined path.

It is just the principle of having structure with clearly defined and separate pathways. With such in place, I would have spent a much shorter amount of time grappling with the issue.

To be honest, I don't think I had ever come any application that used the same argument to render different pages and something about that doesn't feel quite right ... even though it does work.
Re: Account Settings Argument [message #165438 is a reply to message #165435] Sat, 18 June 2011 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Sorry, but I just don't see the point. You are a gifted coder, I'm sure there are more useful things you could spend your time on.
Re: Account Settings Argument [message #165439 is a reply to message #165438] Sat, 18 June 2011 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair enough.

As far as the value of what people spend time on, what actually got me dabbling in coding is the very fact that I could take code and work on what happens to interest me at that point in time.

Most of the stuff I have worked on have been lost causes in terms of the current flow of things so to speak (You must be slightly similar as many would argue developing anything for FUDforum is a similar lost cause) but I can choose for myself and if only one of two people find it useful apart from me, then so be it. It isn't a commercial enterprise.

Anyway, I did say right at the beginning that this is not a big issue. So while there is a minor gap in the completeness of fudla plugin related to this issue, and will be in the Drupal version I am mulling whether to proceed with, it is not the end of the world.
Re: Account Settings Argument [message #165440 is a reply to message #165439] Sat, 18 June 2011 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually just checked and see there is already a Drupal plugin which solves that bit. I'll focus on other stuff.

Thanks
Re: Account Settings Argument [message #165443 is a reply to message #165439] Sat, 18 June 2011 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, you definitely don't need my permission. If you can find consensus, regardless my vote for or against, you are welcome to implement and commit it.

BTW: The Drupal integration code is not nearly as complete as your FUDla plugin. If you so please, I'm sure the community will appreciate if you can expand/rewrite it.
Re: Account Settings Argument [message #165446 is a reply to message #165443] Sat, 18 June 2011 09:22 Go to previous message
Not quite sure what you mean about consensus as you appear to be the only active developer.

On your statement about completeness of the fudla plugin, the issue is that the main application is not set up to make it easy to develop "complete" complex plugins and one has to fight the structure (or lack of structure) which I suppose is framed in a way that is convenient for the authors of the main application.

I started dabbling in coding with Gallery2 which has a totally different approach. It appears that application was setup from an early stage to "make the life of integration authors as simple as possible" by reducing the amount of code such authors have to write. http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Embedding:Integration_Aspects#Principles

It is a different paradigm which affects the entire structure of that application and which means the main application does the heavy lifting and always has that extra line of code so that third party developers don't have to sweat it.

Maybe I need to be more flexible and will now get down from the soapbox Smile

On the Drupal, I think I'll look at that again after the summer and try to finish a few other projects first including adding Joomla 1.6 support to the fudla plugin which would finalise that one.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Subscriptions Page
Next Topic: It is possible to regulate the picture size?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 07:28:08 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03251 seconds