FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Improving development process
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Improving development process [message #165930] Fri, 26 August 2011 22:21 Go to next message
JanRei is currently offline  JanRei   Germany
Contributing Core Developer
Translator
I have some ideas regarding the development process and would like to hear what you think about it.

1) Sometimes it's difficult for me to keep track of the posted suggestions and bugs. I am not sure whether some things go lost if nobody has time and knowledge to implement it right now. Over time the corresponding topic moves down the topic listing. Also, sometimes I am not sure whether somebody else is already working on it. Maybe it would be helpful to use some bug tracking system or enhancing the forum so that it can be used like that.

2) When we are in the RC phase (or even at the final RC before release) it makes sense to include only small or important fixes to prevent the introduction of new issues. Maybe we could create a branch for the stable version then so we can continue to use trunk for unimportant bug fixes and new features.
Re: Improving development process [message #165932 is a reply to message #165930] Fri, 26 August 2011 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Sounds like a plan to me!
Anything that eases the process has to be good, I can only imagine how difficult it must be on you all trying to keep track of which things are serious issues and which ones are user error, already fixed, different configurations, or just plain lack of knowledge.

If I could I'd buy the beer.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Improving development process [message #165935 is a reply to message #165932] Sat, 27 August 2011 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
1. Good idea. There is an issue issue tracker on sourceforge.net we can use. Maybe you should evaluate it and let us know if it fits the bill.

2. You can commit changes against tags as well. For example, if big changes are committed to 'trunk', we can continue committing smaller fixes against 'fud3_0_3RC2' and eventually create a 'fud3_0_3' from it. It all depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want a separate area to implement something that may be disruptive, a branch makes sense.

In addition, we also need establish a wiki page with coding standards for the project.
Re: Improving development process [message #165941 is a reply to message #165935] Mon, 29 August 2011 01:01 Go to previous message
JanRei is currently offline  JanRei   Germany
Contributing Core Developer
Translator
1. I had a look at the Tracker feature. It seems to offer the basic things. Because we have Trac already enabled we could use this as bugtracker. At the moment I would prefer Trac because it allows to specify milestones for tickets and to create roadmaps for them. What do you think?

2. Currently I don't have something really disruptive. I meant a way to commit fixes that, for example, might be too risky for 3.0.3 and should go into 3.0.4.

As I am still learning PHP I am not sure I can write a documentation for the coding standards.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: attribute x-no-archive ?
Next Topic: Call to undefined function fud_use() 3.0.3RC2 (resolved)
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 17 06:34:38 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03474 seconds