FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Complex access control requirement (I need a forum that can accommodate various levels of user access)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Complex access control requirement [message #166326] Mon, 14 November 2011 15:09 Go to next message
Dodger67 is currently offline  Dodger67
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I am exploring "the market" for forum software that can accomodate quite complex access control requirements.

Can FUDforum do the following?

Have some sections that are visible to all, even unregistered casual browsers, but only registered users can post.
Have some sections that are visible only to registered members.
Have some sections that are only visible to certain members (e.g. Teens only, Adults only).
Exclude search bots from some sections.

I have been tasked by a new disability support and advocacy organisation to write the specifications for their new website. Some aspects of the particular disability condition they support are very private and all discussions about such topics must be very well secured from casual browsers and Google bots while other topics are meant to actually draw in new users.

Dodger67
Re: Complex access control requirement [message #166327 is a reply to message #166326] Mon, 14 November 2011 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Sounds like fairly standard functionality.
Give it a go and let is know if you are having problems.
Re: Complex access control requirement [message #166328 is a reply to message #166327] Mon, 14 November 2011 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't "give it a go" as I don't have access to a server yet but if my requirement is "standard" then I supose there's no problem.

I found this site from Wikipedia which has a page comparing features of different forum sofware packages. This is one of just a few that tick all the right boxes - and is shareware (the organisation is starting up with literally no money - space on a server is being sponsored but their webmaster has no experience of forums, he said as long as it doesn't cost money and is PHP he'll manage. I got the job of writing the spec because I'm an experienced user and moderator on various forums using VBulletin, Simple Machines and phpBB. Of those only VBulletin has the features we need - threaded messages and complex access control - but it's payware! Evil or Very Mad

Dodger67
Re: Complex access control requirement [message #166329 is a reply to message #166328] Tue, 15 November 2011 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
You can download FUDforum2Go and run it on your PC if you want.

If we are missing important features (I doubt it), please let us know, we might just add it to our next release.
Re: Complex access control requirement [message #166330 is a reply to message #166329] Tue, 15 November 2011 06:28 Go to previous message
Great stuff, so I can play with it - even try to break it... Twisted Evil

Baie dankie!

Dodger67
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: about cookies
Next Topic: Forum is invisible for unregistered users
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon May 13 19:25:28 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02790 seconds