FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Unable to Upgrade due to broken broken admin panel
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
| Subscribe to topic | Bookmark topic 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Unable to Upgrade due to broken broken admin panel [message #166783 is a reply to message #166782] Wed, 22 February 2012 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Kinda looks like a backdoor symlynk to your root (disk path).

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: Unable to Upgrade due to broken broken admin panel [message #166785 is a reply to message #166783] Thu, 23 February 2012 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pips is currently offline  pips   Ireland
add to buddy list
I think i have reached the limit of what i am comfortable doing tbh.
Until i learn more stuff (including how the interaction with the hosts works) i'm going to back off. I've done a lot and got lots working but the Broken ACP is beyond me at the moment.

I'm happy that i got so far. But to go further, i actually need a holding hand and active input.

Many thanks for your help Witcher :toppa:

I've advised the owner that they should really have either the Host, or a 3rd Party have a nosy and see if it can be fixed up properly. I've sugested your Big hammer approach which, i feel is the correct one. There is simply too much history of mismanagement in the old files to keep the set up as it is. A clean sweep/install and a upload of the back-up is best i feel.

I shall, keep you informed.

[Updated on: Thu, 23 February 2012 02:45]

Report message to a moderator

icon4.gif  Re: Unable to Upgrade due to broken broken admin panel [message #166787 is a reply to message #166785] Thu, 23 February 2012 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
add to buddy list
Understood! We wouldn't want you to get over your head either.

One of the marvelous things I've found in the last few years is that forums come in a vast array of different configurations, and people seem to use them in as many different ways as they can imagine. Makes it all that much more interesting!

Re: Unable to Upgrade due to broken broken admin panel [message #166813 is a reply to message #166787] Wed, 29 February 2012 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
add to buddy list
Hello,

Me again Cool

Right, I've had further looks in the Host site and we are able to have sub-domains ( and actually have an old one Very Happy ) and i feel a little happier with setting up a sub-forum as you suggest.

So, i've read the installation instructions, but i need some reassurance,

The subforum is in a separate folder and has a separate address and actually has an old INSTALL.PHP file left in it (Probably by someone who was going to do same but stopped) there is also a database entry for this Sub forum.

I believe our host is on Apache 2.2

Is this simply a case of deleting the old INSTALL.PHP file, uploading the new Install files and firing it up from the web? Confused

Is this to simple? Will i break our working forum in the other folder?

Looking for your help here Witcher, im ready to take another step forward.....
Re: Unable to Upgrade due to broken broken admin panel [message #166815 is a reply to message #166813] Wed, 29 February 2012 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
add to buddy list
Not knowing the version, or other info I wouldn't touch it other than to delete it unless you were just curious..... I would start off with a fresh copy of my current version instead of an unknown!

(Have you already looked through all your other globals paths already? As per
http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=120334&goto=166791& ;#msg_166791

Re: Unable to Upgrade due to broken broken admin panel [message #166816 is a reply to message #166815] Wed, 29 February 2012 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
add to buddy list
The Witcher wrote on Wed, 29 February 2012 12:30
Not knowing the version, or other info I wouldn't touch it other than to delete it unless you were just curious..... I would start off with a fresh copy of my current version instead of an unknown!

(Have you already looked through all your other globals paths already? As per
http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=120334&goto=166791& ;amp ;#msg_166791

Yea, working through that as we speak.

The GSM IS updating the
/Script $Globals.php
/Include $Globals.php

But NOT the

/ADM $Globals
/Root $Globals.

So, as you say, it might be a symlink issue.
I looked for the SYMlink locations but couldn't find them, where are they to check? (Sorry for the dumb question)

(This symlink think may be the cause tbh)
Odg: Re: Unable to Upgrade due to broken broken admin panel [message #166819 is a reply to message #166816] Wed, 29 February 2012 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pips is currently offline  pips
add to buddy list
I found this in the include/glob.inc file
Quote:
** Create symbolic links to the forum's GLOBALS.php file. */function fud_symlink($src, $dest) { /* Ensure we don't have any bogus symlinks (i.e. re-installing over old forum). */@unlink($dest);

/* Older windows systems doesn't have symlinks and some hosts disable them - use crude emulation. */if (!function_exists('symlink') || (function_exists('symlink') && @symlink($src, $dest) === FALSE)) { if (!($fp = fopen($dest, 'wb'))) { return FALSE; } fwrite($fp, '<?php include_once \''. $src .'\'; ?>'); fclose($fp); } }

?>

« Back to file manager

Now, am I correct in thinking my symlinks should be here, but are missing?

And, is this the missing code?
Citat:
; 787 788 /* Make symlinks to GLOBALS.php. */789 fud_symlink($INCLUDE .'GLOBALS.php', $SERVER_ROOT .'GLOBALS.php'); 790 fud_symlink($INCLUDE .'GLOBALS.php', $SERVER_ROOT .'adm/GLOBALS.php'); 791 fud_symlink($INCLUDE .'GLOBALS.php', $SERVER_DATA_ROOT .'scripts/GLOBALS.php'); 792 793 $url_parts = parse_url($WWW_ROOT);

[Updated on: Wed, 29 February 2012 12:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to Upgrade due to broken broken admin panel [message #166824 is a reply to message #166729] Fri, 02 March 2012 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
add to buddy list
I downloaded Fudforum2go last night

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Brilliant idea Very Happy

Anyway, all of the Globals files excluding /include are (i believe) symlinks, that is, they don't actually have any code in, just a include instruction pointing back to the Full Globals file in the /include directory.

So, Is my fix as simple as:
*copying the globals.php (symlink) in fudforum2go
*Replacing the directory path with the correct one from my server
*overwriting the 3 globals in the /script/root/adm directories

Could someone post a globals.php symlink from thier forum root path so i can have a reference?

Please? Very Happy
Re: Unable to Upgrade due to broken broken admin panel [message #166845 is a reply to message #166824] Wed, 07 March 2012 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
add to buddy list
pips wrote on Fri, 02 March 2012 06:48

Could someone post a globals.php symlink from thier forum 3.03 root path so i can have a reference to regenerate same?

Please? Very Happy

Re: Unable to Upgrade due to broken broken admin panel [message #166846 is a reply to message #166845] Wed, 07 March 2012 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
remove from buddy list
Please run the consistency checker. It should (with later versions) check and repair the links automatically.

$ ls -l GLOBALS.php                                  
lrwxrwxrwx 1 web web 63 Mar  3 21:09 GLOBALS.php -> /home/web/htdocs/forum/include/GLOBALS.php

Re: Unable to Upgrade due to broken broken admin panel [message #166847 is a reply to message #166846] Wed, 07 March 2012 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
add to buddy list
Consistancy checker is falling down on the number of connections open, and is something i'm looking into fixing. (Its a host issue i think)

Anyway, thanks for the data :adore:
Re: Unable to Upgrade due to broken broken admin panel [message #166862 is a reply to message #166847] Sat, 10 March 2012 09:17 Go to previous message
add to buddy list
Sorry I've not been around Pips.... The Dragons of life they've been having me surrounded but they ain't had a Witcher lunch yet!

Any how here is a copy of the globals from my oldest.

I don't use a /forum sub directory so this resides directly in the root (That means your paths should be different, and I've obfuscated some of the numbers).
Toggle Spoiler

Quick Reply
Formatting Tools:   
Pages (2): [ «    1  2]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: Select HTML or FUDcode/BBcode?
Next Topic: Any demo server available with admin access?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 07:34:29 EDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00980 seconds