FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Synchronising Forum posts to NNTP - Retry after failure
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Synchronising Forum posts to NNTP - Retry after failure [message #166985] Fri, 13 April 2012 12:18 Go to next message
Multitool is currently offline  Multitool   United Kingdom
I've noticed that, when syncing Forum posts back to an NNTP newsgroup, if the newsgroup posting fails for *any* reason (even if that reason is transient) the posting is never re-tried and the post will never appear on the newsgroup.

For transient errors, e.g. if the NNTP server is unreachable, it would make more sense to re-try the posting on the next run, at least a limited number of times, or until successful.

Obviously if the NNTP server explicitly rejects the message due to violation of one of its policies, then we wouldn't want to re-try it Smile
Re: Synchronising Forum posts to NNTP - Retry after failure [message #166987 is a reply to message #166985] Fri, 13 April 2012 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Sounds like a good idea! Can you prepare a fix for us?
Re: Synchronising Forum posts to NNTP - Retry after failure [message #166988 is a reply to message #166987] Fri, 13 April 2012 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Fri, 13 April 2012 13:23
Sounds like a good idea! Can you prepare a fix for us?

Too difficult for me I'm afraid. I can't even work out how it determines which Forum posts have yet to be posted to the newsgroup.
Re: Synchronising Forum posts to NNTP - Retry after failure [message #166995 is a reply to message #166988] Sat, 14 April 2012 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I don't use it, and are unlikely to code it myself. However, to get a list of messages not posted:

SELECT * 
FROM fud_msg m 
INNER JOIN fud_thread t ON m.thread_id=t.id
INNER JOIN fud_forum f ON t.forum_id=f.id
WHERE mlist_msg_id IS NOT NULL AND mlist_msg_id != ''
AND f.name = 'Your forum Name';
Re: Synchronising Forum posts to NNTP - Retry after failure [message #166996 is a reply to message #166995] Sat, 14 April 2012 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, so it sounds like we just need to ensure that "mlist_msg_id" is not assigned until the message has been successfully posted?

So we need to connect to the NNTP server first, and only after successfully connecting assign "mlist_msg_id" - if the connection is unsuccessful, do nothing, then it will just re-try next time around as "mlist_msg_id" has not been assigned. That would cover the case where the NNTP server is temporarily unreachable, which is the most likely reason for the post to fail.
Re: Synchronising Forum posts to NNTP - Retry after failure [message #166997 is a reply to message #166996] Sat, 14 April 2012 20:58 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, mlist_msg_id is the USENET Message-ID. This column should actually be renamed to 'external_msg_id' in a future release.

When FUDforum imports messages, and encounters a message that it posted, it will extract the message id and put it into mlist_msg_id.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Suggestion: Update all Newsgroups on every run
Next Topic: gmane
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:57:29 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02544 seconds