FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Running upgrade file from FTP?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Running upgrade file from FTP? [message #167118] Sun, 29 April 2012 17:32 Go to next message
Tikatu is currently offline  Tikatu   United States
I'm working on getting our old forum (v. 2.7) to upgrade to 3.0 then 3.0.3 so I can export/import to my domain from the old domain.

Is there any way I can do this through FTP? I don't see it myself, but my cohort seems to think that's the way to go. She's given me all the FTP info I need and I can access the directories that way, but I don't see how I can actually run the file from there.

Please let me know one way or the other. Many thanks!
Re: Running upgrade file from FTP? [message #167119 is a reply to message #167118] Sun, 29 April 2012 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, you can:
1) move all files to the new host, get 2.7 working again, then upgrade to 3.0.0 and 3.0.x; or
2) upgrade to 3.0.0 and 3.0.x, then move files to the new host.

Option 2 will probably be the easiest.

You can move files manually (ftp/scp), or use FUDforum's backup/restore functionality. For details, see "How do I move my forum to a new host?" in the FAQ.

Best of luck!
Re: Running upgrade file from FTP? [message #167120 is a reply to message #167119] Sun, 29 April 2012 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Also look at "I've moved my forum to a new server, how do I get it to work again?" in the FAQ.
Re: Running upgrade file from FTP? [message #167121 is a reply to message #167120] Sun, 29 April 2012 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tikatu is currently offline  Tikatu   United States
There may be a problem. The owner of the other domain has tried -- and seemingly failed -- to upgrade the forum herself. I'm not sure she tried it in FTP (which wouldn't work) or if she got into her webhosting to do it. Whichever way she did it, wouldn't it overwrite all the 2.7 stuff in her db? If so, I can't get to the db through FTP (at least, I don't think I can).

Thanks for the FAQ links. The instructions on the second link you gave me would make more sense if I wasn't a total noob doing things by trial and error (mostly error). Is there a more detailed, step-by-step tutorial somewhere?

ETA: I have a forum dump from a couple of weeks ago that is a .sql file. She took it offline shortly afterwards and I doubt there was any activity from the time she sent me the data dump to the time she took it offline. Do I upload that to my SQL database? (I created one specifically for this process.) If so, how? FTP?

[Updated on: Sun, 29 April 2012 20:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Running upgrade file from FTP? [message #167122 is a reply to message #167121] Mon, 30 April 2012 07:50 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Besides the upgrade procedure, nothing else that I'm aware of. Try it! In the unlikely event of it not working, you may report your problems here on the forum.

Alternately, contact me in private for upgrade pricing.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: upgrade to 3.0.3 from 3.0.1 error
Next Topic: Upgrade to 3.0.4
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu May 02 01:00:53 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03098 seconds