FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » FUDforum Feature Wishlist (What features do YOU want in FUDForum)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
FUDforum Feature Wishlist [message #168353] Mon, 22 April 2013 04:06 Go to next message
cpreston is currently offline  cpreston   United States
Hello, all. We are a publishing company that is currently using phpBB2 and mail2forum, and are in the process of converting said forum to FUDforum. We have PHP developers on staff and I plan to be talking to Frank about making coding contributions to FUDForum. There are a few features I'd like to see, but I'm curious to know what long running users would like to see. I'd like to use this topic to collect a list and then we'll use that list to do a poll before moving forward.

These features are a list of things I want, followed by features I've seen discussed.

Joomla Features
* Joomla 2.5/3.0 bridge
* Recent/popular threads Module for Joomla

Mailing List features
* Munging of imported email addresses to prevent scraping (e.g. change curtis(at)truthinit(dot)com to curtis -at- backupcentral.com)
* Optional Feature to Forum -> Mailing List moderation to moderate all posts for new users until given user has been approved. Then all posts from said user will no longer be moderated.

* Reddit-style tree threading (that allows you to see the response in the tree)
* Reddit-style rating & sorting based on said rating
* Human-readable URLs
* Mobile-friendly app/version
* Facebook authentication integration

How did I do? What have I missed?

[Updated on: Mon, 22 April 2013 04:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: FUDforum Feature Wishlist [message #168354 is a reply to message #168353] Mon, 22 April 2013 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheDude is currently offline  TheDude
Personally I don't care much about Reddit-style stuff. I like FUDforum style just like it is and the tree view is enough. Don't think many members at my forum use it.
Rating and sorting makes sense only for news sites, which mine is not.
Perhaps and option to choose either one at install would be cool. Reddit-like or Traditional ?

Popular threads is good, I concur.
Also agree with Mobile-friendly app/version, because I have been asked for that several times
Facebook authentication makes process of registering easier, too.

Re: FUDforum Feature Wishlist [message #168356 is a reply to message #168354] Mon, 22 April 2013 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpreston is currently offline  cpreston   United States
@TheDude

I'm not sure if I want reddit (AKA slashdot) style formatting, either. It's absolutely a style choice and would have to be optional if we decided to do it. It could be either be a choice by the owner or the forum or by the user, like how you can choose between flat and tree today. Not sure if I agree that rating and sorting only makes sense for news sites, but again that would have to be a config choice as well.

I'm just trying to generate a single thread that contains a list of what people would like to have if they could have. The first four things I listed were my personal list. The rest of the list was my attempt to compile what i saw from other posts.

Are they any features you'd like to see added?

Re : Re: FUDforum Feature Wishlist [message #168357 is a reply to message #168356] Mon, 22 April 2013 08:33 Go to previous message
TheDude is currently offline  TheDude
Yeah

A system of likes/dislikes, but for posts, with ability to see or not (option given by admin) who has upvoted or downvoted a post.

A post preview could also be nice, with a pop-up hovering above the link, but with just a few words shown (also tweakable by admin)

Perhaps also a kind of Summary of all recent activity.

(All above features copied more or less from Xenforo software)

But most of all a BIG and SEPARATED FROM THE OTHERS (for instance buttons on the left) JOIN BUTTON !

EDIT : I would really like to be able to set the number of Personal Messages to a chosen number before allowing the use of it by new members, say not let them send messages before they reach 5 posts, for instance.

Apart from that, FUDforum rocks, especially on security (I wonder why so few people know about it...)

[Updated on: Wed, 24 April 2013 15:04]

Report message to a moderator

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: shows topic in treeview for new registered user
Next Topic: user manual FUDforum 3.0+
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 12 14:26:44 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02810 seconds