FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Version 3.0.5RC2 Installation Bugs (First installation on a server using ssh command line)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Version 3.0.5RC2 Installation Bugs [message #169128] Thu, 22 August 2013 16:11 Go to next message
crustyoz   United States
I just discovered and installed Fudforum. I like what I see so far. Thanks to the developers
for all the heavy work.

I haven't poked around enough on this forum to get a sense for the "way things are done"TM
so I'll just push ahead.

Server: VPS running Cent0S 6
PHP version: 5.3.3

All actions done at the command line under ssh access.

1. Command line installation instructions at your site /index.php/Install needs the following:

a) expand instructions with examples for databases other than mysql. In particular, sqlite3
does not make use of the DB_HOST_USER and DB_HOST_PASSWORD parameters.

b) include specific identifiers for the legal values of DBHOST_DBTYPE. I needed to look inside install.php
to find the correct value to use.

c) file access permissions are often a problem to get set correctly. My solution is to set the owner and
group identifiers to match the web server owner and group. This applies even if the files are stored under
a different user HOME directory. If there are other options it would be value to know them.

d) ensure correct matching between the configured root directory known to the web server and that which
is defined in the WWW_ROOT parameter. It is not evident from the documentation that this value will be
set as the html base href value in the page header. The result was that none of the images or javascript
were loaded during first tests.

2. The recommendation to use Apache and MySql along with the required PHP is an easy one to make but
my experience has been that many problems are avoided if both Apache and MySql can be avoided. I do
this by using the Hiawatha web server and Sqlite3 databases.

Re: Version 3.0.5RC2 Installation Bugs [message #169141 is a reply to message #169128] Sat, 24 August 2013 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpreston is currently offline  cpreston   United States
Those are all nice suggestions, but I don't think any of them qualify as bugs.
Re: Version 3.0.5RC2 Installation Bugs [message #169143 is a reply to message #169128] Sat, 24 August 2013 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crustyoz   United States
So documentation errors / weaknesses are second class citizens in the bug reporting world? Smile

Is there a better place to report such issues?
Re: Version 3.0.5RC2 Installation Bugs [message #169144 is a reply to message #169143] Sat, 24 August 2013 20:07 Go to previous message
cpreston is currently offline  cpreston   United States
Not second class citizens. Just not bugs.

In software parlance, a bug is when a software product was designed to do A, and it either doesn't do A or it does B instead.

What you're describing are typically called enhancement requests. They are things developers can do to make the product nicer, or easier to use, or to appeal to a particular group of people (e.g. in your case, to people that don't like Apache and MySQL).

A bug is something that we must fix before 3.0.5RC2 can become 3.0.5. By contrast, we could decide to do the things you're suggesting, but we don't NEED to do them prior to releasing 3.0.5. We could decide to let them slip to 3.0.6 or 3.1, or whatever.

As to your "better place" question, I'd say that this particular topic is more at home in the 3.0 Development forum, and should be titled "Some suggestions for improving 3.0.5," or "Improving support for non-Mysql instances," or something like that.

In addition, I would also submit that you are more than welcome to help make these enhancements yourself, and since most of them are documentation-type issues, you don't need to be much of a coder to help make the changes. Find the particular piece of documentation/code that you'd like to change, change it, and submit your changes via this forum for inclusion into the final product. Or perhaps the changes you're describing are in the documentation Wiki, which you can edit yourself by getting an account there.

I hoped my response helped.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: I can't upload icons files
Next Topic: After upgrade from 3.0.4 on my test forum :)
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 11:04:08 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02530 seconds