FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Switch between User view and admin view (How do you shift between user view and admin view without logging in and out?)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Switch between User view and admin view [message #168935] Fri, 09 August 2013 20:07 Go to next message
Parrot
Ok, you make a change in admin and then want to see how it looks to users. With two windows open, one showing what a user sees and the other the admin interface, how do you shift between them? Now it seems necessary to log out and in again to make the other window work. FF seems to detect the same IP address and shift the other window to the current window's login status.

Surely others know how to do this without all the frenzied relogging. What am I missing?

Re: Switch between User view and admin view [message #169184 is a reply to message #168935] Mon, 02 September 2013 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Parrot

Workaround: Use a different browser for each.

It seems a browser cannot have FF logins by different users, whether they're in separate tabs or windows. So you cannot be logged in as admin and change settings and also have a window or tab open with a registered user login to see the results for users.

If you use a different browser, it works. I can be logged in as an administrator in Firefox and, at the same time, as a registered user in Internet Explorer. No more frenzy of logging in and out.

Re: Switch between User view and admin view [message #169187 is a reply to message #169184] Tue, 03 September 2013 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   
Administrator
Core Developer
Look at the "Multiple Host Login" setting in the Global Settings Manager:

"This option allows users to login into the forum from different computers/browsers and not terminate their existing sessions on other computers/browsers. WARNING: If you enable this option it is highly recommended that you disable URL sessions."
Re: Switch between User view and admin view [message #169193 is a reply to message #169187] Tue, 03 September 2013 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Parrot
Two reactions:

1. Yes, I missed that setting or didn't understand it.

2. It doesn't work in my system. After enabling Multiple Host Login and confirming URL Sessions were disabled, two different users cannot be logged in at the same time from the same location (IP address?). Details:

One login works normally. Any subsequent logins shift to the same logged-in user, and both become locked in. Then, no users can logout.

All instances (in browser windows or tabs) always have the same logged in user, and that cannot be changed. Again, none of them can logout. Clicking logout makes the screen blink, but it has no effect. This happens in Firefox and in IE.

The only way to clear this and let logged-in users logout is to change the Multiple Host Login setting to off (no).

Re: Switch between User view and admin view [message #169195 is a reply to message #169193] Wed, 04 September 2013 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   
Administrator
Core Developer
I think the problem is that all tabs/windows share the same global session cookie. All of them will thus have the same session state. So you will have to use two different browsers again.
Re: Switch between User view and admin view [message #169317 is a reply to message #169195] Wed, 25 September 2013 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NuJa is currently offline  NuJa
The following is working for me in other instances. Maybe it will work for you:

I use two USB modem sticks, on two computers at home.
This way you can connect to the same server, but with different passwords and usernames.

Hope this help
Re: Switch between User view and admin view [message #169318 is a reply to message #169317] Wed, 25 September 2013 16:03 Go to previous message
Parrot
Thanks for the tip. Your method works for the same reason that using two different browsers on the same computer works:

Using, say Firefox and IE, each browser stores its own cookies and so can have different FF logins.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Reset admin password from database
Next Topic: forum: no longer in system
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:37:33 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02814 seconds