FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Announcements » 1.0.1 Beta Version
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
1.0.1 Beta Version [message #176] Wed, 23 January 2002 04:05 Go to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I've just put the beta version of 1.0.1 on this forum. Among the many code fixes it cleans up the layout quite bit. Here is the detailed list of what has been done so far:

New Features

I've added a statistic option (right below the who's logged in), which allows people to see how many posts/thread/users are in the forum as well as the login of the newest forum member. You'll be able to turn this option on/off via the globals control panel or GLOBALS.php file.

The icons for read/unread post on thread.php have been replaced with much nicer ones IMHO (I hope you like em).

Color coding added to "who's online" list, so you can clearly see the admins & moderators.

Security Bugs Fixed

A fix was added to fudcode parser to fix a security fault that allowed users to pust javscript code inside the [img] tag, which in IE 5+ would cause the Javascript to be executed on load.

Fixed a small security bug, which allowed user with an ID of 2, to be able to see the forum's timings (page generation & SQL query timings) on certain pages.

Other Bugs Fixed

Fixed smilies parser, which under certain conditions would screw up the parsing of email addresses.

Fixed a bug that under certain conditions would fail to delete private messages, because of an invalid SQL query.

Fixed a number of layout bugs, dealing with mismatched styles.

Fixed a bug with the moderation system, that in some cases would fail to update to fud_forum table's moderators field.

Fixed SQL query syntax in smilies.inc to support older SQL versions.

Fixed a potential bug (I've been unable to replicate it), which may have caused ratethread.php to give SQL warning due to an attempt at inserting a duplicate entry into the fud_thread_rate_track table.

Layout Fixes

Based on previous suggestions, I've changed the color alternation on thread.php, once again your feedback would be appreciated.

I've updated the default styles with a new much more readable font, which seems to look quite good (IMHO) in IE and Mozilla.

I've changed the font sizes in the default style to use defined pixel sizes instead of small, x-small.

A number of general layout fixes were corrected, they are quite minor and are too numerous to list individually.

Added "New Thread" button to the bottom of thread.php as well as msg.php & tree.php

The links "New Thread","Reply","Tree View" were added to the bottom of msg.php

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Wed, 23 January 2002 04:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 1.0.1 Beta Version [message #177 is a reply to message #176] Wed, 23 January 2002 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mack is currently offline  Mack   United Kingdom
On code releases it would be much better to dump the annoying install script or have a version where a user can just untar and add the DB, change the paths and away he goes.

Is there really any need to have messages saved outside the DB? As the forums are sql based.
Re: 1.0.1 Beta Version [message #178 is a reply to message #177] Wed, 23 January 2002 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Mack wrote on Tue, 22 January 2002 11:11 PM

On code releases it would be much better to dump the annoying install script or have a version where a user can just untar and add the DB, change the paths and away he goes.

Well, the upgrade script we are working on will be really simple, it will ask only 1 question. The path to your GLOBALS.php file and nothing else.

For 1st time installs, I'll probably write a README.INSTALL file for people who do not wish to use any of the offered install scripts, I am not sure if that will make it in to the 1.0.1 release.

Quote:

Is there really any need to have messages saved outside the DB? As the forums are sql based.

There are several reasons why messages are not stored inside the DB.

Reading of the messages is quite a bit more memory efficient as well as speedier, especially since messages are not stored in individual files but rather in thread blocks separated by offsets.
When reading from files, FUDforum never stores more then 1 single message in memory at a time, while if we used mysql the SQL query would go and force php to store all the retrieved messages in memory while the script is running. Since php has about 2.5 times the memory overhead this can eat up quite a bit of memory or a set of messages with lots of text.

Importing of data is somewhat faster as you don't need to place large blocks of text into MySQL, you untar the files and you're done.

On most servers SQL is on a different hard drive from the one where the user files are kept, but using two drives you get quite a bit of speed improvement on large scale forums or servers with heavy IO traffic.

The actual message storage code is pretty modular, so it is possible withing maybe 1-2 hours to rewrite the current code base to use MySQL however, due to the reasons I've listed above I do not see it as a good idea.

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Wed, 23 January 2002 04:37]

Re: 1.0.1 Beta Version [message #179 is a reply to message #178] Wed, 23 January 2002 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Generally I prefer the use of mysql for everything like most forum users, I just see it a waste of mysql without any messages stored in it. One very nice option would be to be able to change backends from text file to mysql and vice versa.
Re: 1.0.1 Beta Version [message #180 is a reply to message #179] Wed, 23 January 2002 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Interesting idea, I'll consider it for 1.0.2

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 1.0.1 Beta Version [message #186 is a reply to message #179] Wed, 23 January 2002 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

Mack wrote on Tue, 22 January 2002 11:41 PM

Generally I prefer the use of mysql for everything like most forum users, I just see it a waste of mysql without any messages stored in it. One very nice option would be to be able to change backends from text file to mysql and vice versa.

But you DO must first realize that is indeed quite a bit slower storing messages in MySQL.

The bigger the message and the more of them, the more inefficient it becomes. The reasons for this are various, and if you are interested me or prot here can spend describing them, but suffice to say, I really, really suggest using the drive to store the messages NOT mysql, nonetheless, if that is what you people all want we will implement it at some point Smile.. just not quite now 'cause we got various things to write, suggests to implement and so on.. Smile

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: 1.0.1 Beta Version [message #191 is a reply to message #186] Wed, 23 January 2002 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That would be debatable, I run a fourm with 60,000+ posts and its still under a second to process a massive 57 post based thread. SQL is quicker than Flatfile there is no disputing that fact. SQL uses more resources, but then again most people running big forums have good boxes to support them.

Re: 1.0.1 Beta Version [message #193 is a reply to message #176] Wed, 23 January 2002 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zerobits is currently offline  zerobits   United Kingdom
where can i download 1.01?
will it wipe out my existing postings, forums, and categories that i have created?

[Updated on: Wed, 23 January 2002 15:45]

Re: 1.0.1 Beta Version [message #194 is a reply to message #193] Wed, 23 January 2002 15:58 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
zerobits wrote on Wed, 23 January 2002 10:45 AM

where can i download 1.01?
will it wipe out my existing postings, forums, and categories that i have created?

The upgrade to a new version, will not delete or corrupt your existing data, no worries Smile

Once 1.0.1 comes out officially you'll be able to download it from our download page.

There are currently 2 things on the todo list, which need to be done before that happens.

First an online/offline status indicator on the message display code needs to be added as well as some SQL query cleanup for the code which does this.
We also need to come to a decision on the upgrade script (read the other topic inside this forum) before we make a release.

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Wed, 23 January 2002 16:01]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Next Topic: 1.1.0 RC1
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue May 07 02:32:39 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02936 seconds