FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Imported messages » comp.lang.php » Re: Windows binaries 64bit for PHP
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
| Subscribe to topic | Bookmark topic 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Windows binaries 64bit for PHP [message #177980] Wed, 09 May 2012 11:05 Go to next message
Gregor Kofler is currently offline  Gregor Kofler
Messages: 69
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Am 2012-05-09 15:14, Jerry Stuckle meinte:

>> Who said repeatedly rescale? The process I've been talking about is more
>> like "lazy" scaling.
>
> OK, so you do it "on the fly" and store the result. That still takes
> more time than doing it once and forgetting it. Your way, you have to
> check on every request for the image to see if your size exists before
> deciding if you need to rescale it or not. Another unnecessary waste of
> processing time.

Please... Having a page with a bunch of images uploaded by users in
various (normally large) sizes the scaling on the fly takes the
proverbial ages (i.e. several seconds). Particularly on shared hosts.
Checking for the existence of a file (you know the output size and you
changed the file name of you rescaled images accordingly) is negligible.
Rescaling happens once, retrieving thousands of times (or more).

> And you still haven't answered the question as to why it would take
> months to rescale your images.

Indeed.

Gregor
Re: Windows binaries 64bit for PHP [message #177987 is a reply to message #177980] Wed, 09 May 2012 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Natural Philosoph is currently offline  The Natural Philosoph
Messages: 993
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Gregor Kofler wrote:
> Am 2012-05-09 15:14, Jerry Stuckle meinte:
>
>>> Who said repeatedly rescale? The process I've been talking about is more
>>> like "lazy" scaling.
>>
>> OK, so you do it "on the fly" and store the result. That still takes
>> more time than doing it once and forgetting it. Your way, you have to
>> check on every request for the image to see if your size exists before
>> deciding if you need to rescale it or not. Another unnecessary waste of
>> processing time.
>
> Please... Having a page with a bunch of images uploaded by users in
> various (normally large) sizes the scaling on the fly takes the
> proverbial ages (i.e. several seconds).

No it doesnt.

> Particularly on shared hosts.

well I cant answer for crap hosts.


> Checking for the existence of a file (you know the output size and you
> changed the file name of you rescaled images accordingly) is negligible.
> Rescaling happens once, retrieving thousands of times (or more).

Often never used again.

>
>> And you still haven't answered the question as to why it would take
>> months to rescale your images.
>
> Indeed.
>
> Gregor
>


--
To people who know nothing, anything is possible.
To people who know too much, it is a sad fact
that they know how little is really possible -
and how hard it is to achieve it.
Re: Windows binaries 64bit for PHP [message #177990 is a reply to message #177987] Wed, 09 May 2012 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gregor Kofler is currently offline  Gregor Kofler
Messages: 69
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Am 2012-05-09 20:36, The Natural Philosopher meinte:
> Gregor Kofler wrote:
>> Am 2012-05-09 15:14, Jerry Stuckle meinte:
>>
>>>> Who said repeatedly rescale? The process I've been talking about is
>>>> more
>>>> like "lazy" scaling.
>>>
>>> OK, so you do it "on the fly" and store the result. That still takes
>>> more time than doing it once and forgetting it. Your way, you have to
>>> check on every request for the image to see if your size exists before
>>> deciding if you need to rescale it or not. Another unnecessary waste of
>>> processing time.
>>
>> Please... Having a page with a bunch of images uploaded by users in
>> various (normally large) sizes the scaling on the fly takes the
>> proverbial ages (i.e. several seconds).
>
> No it doesnt.

It does. People tend to upload their images straight as they come from
their camera/smartphone. And I need them as 300x200 thumbs and in an
enlarged 900x600 something format. Perhaps sharpened.

>> Particularly on shared hosts.
>
> well I cant answer for crap hosts.

Frequently not something the developer can decide.
>
>> Checking for the existence of a file (you know the output size and you
>> changed the file name of you rescaled images accordingly) is negligible.
>> Rescaling happens once, retrieving thousands of times (or more).
>
> Often never used again.

They lookup and/or rescaling happens, when an image is displayed. Not
before. You do the rescaling when it is required, and then you do it
only once. IOW the one-time-storing and the frequent checking for file
existence replaces the frequent on-the-fly resizing. No way, that the
latter one is faster (I do websites which are visited by more than one
person - hopefully).

Gregor
Re: Windows binaries 64bit for PHP [message #178080 is a reply to message #177990] Sat, 12 May 2012 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas 'PointedEars'  is currently offline  Thomas 'PointedEars'
Messages: 701
Registered: October 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Gregor Kofler wrote:

> Am 2012-05-09 20:36, The Natural Philosopher meinte:
>> Gregor Kofler wrote:
>>> Am 2012-05-09 15:14, Jerry Stuckle meinte:
>>>> > Who said repeatedly rescale? The process I've been talking about is
>>>> > more like "lazy" scaling.
>>>>
>>>> OK, so you do it "on the fly" and store the result. That still takes
>>>> more time than doing it once and forgetting it. Your way, you have to
>>>> check on every request for the image to see if your size exists before
>>>> deciding if you need to rescale it or not. Another unnecessary waste of
>>>> processing time.
>>>
>>> Please... Having a page with a bunch of images uploaded by users in
>>> various (normally large) sizes the scaling on the fly takes the
>>> proverbial ages (i.e. several seconds).
>> No it doesnt.
>
> It does. People tend to upload their images straight as they come from
> their camera/smartphone. […]

People need to be educated not to do that. High-resolution images with huge
dimensions result in large files. There is already a limitation in the
upload file size (upload_max_filesize), and that is good so. You can make
allowances and do not have to stick to the default 2M maximum, but allowing
people to upload files of *any* size to a server is virtual(ly) suicide. So
that is not a very convincing argument in favor of 64-bit processing.


PointedEars
--
var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (
navigator.userAgent.indexOf('MSIE 5') != -1
&& navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Mac') != -1
) // Plone, register_function.js:16
Re: Windows binaries 64bit for PHP [message #178089 is a reply to message #178080] Sat, 12 May 2012 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Natural Philosoph is currently offline  The Natural Philosoph
Messages: 993
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

>
> People need to be educated not to do that.

It has been said that socialists know how the world should be, but
conservatives understand how it actually is.

--
To people who know nothing, anything is possible.
To people who know too much, it is a sad fact
that they know how little is really possible -
and how hard it is to achieve it.
Re: Windows binaries 64bit for PHP [message #178108 is a reply to message #178089] Mon, 14 May 2012 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erwin Moller is currently offline  Erwin Moller
Messages: 228
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 5/12/2012 11:56 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>
>>
>> People need to be educated not to do that.
>
> It has been said that socialists know how the world should be, but
> conservatives understand how it actually is.
>

AND want to keep it that way. ;-)

Regards,
Erwin Moller


--
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
evidence."
-- Christopher Hitchens
Re: Windows binaries 64bit for PHP [message #178109 is a reply to message #178108] Mon, 14 May 2012 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Natural Philosoph is currently offline  The Natural Philosoph
Messages: 993
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Erwin Moller wrote:
> On 5/12/2012 11:56 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> People need to be educated not to do that.
>>
>> It has been said that socialists know how the world should be, but
>> conservatives understand how it actually is.
>>
>
> AND want to keep it that way. ;-)
>

NOT necessarily...

But they tend to restrict themselves to what is achievable, and expect
that it wont be cost free!


> Regards,
> Erwin Moller
>
>


--
To people who know nothing, anything is possible.
To people who know too much, it is a sad fact
that they know how little is really possible -
and how hard it is to achieve it.
Re: Windows binaries 64bit for PHP [message #178129 is a reply to message #178080] Mon, 14 May 2012 13:26 Go to previous message
Gregor Kofler is currently offline  Gregor Kofler
Messages: 69
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Am 2012-05-12 11:12, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn meinte:
> Gregor Kofler wrote:
>
>> Am 2012-05-09 20:36, The Natural Philosopher meinte:
>>> Gregor Kofler wrote:
>>>> Am 2012-05-09 15:14, Jerry Stuckle meinte:
>>>> >> Who said repeatedly rescale? The process I've been talking about is
>>>> >> more like "lazy" scaling.
>>>> >
>>>> > OK, so you do it "on the fly" and store the result. That still takes
>>>> > more time than doing it once and forgetting it. Your way, you have to
>>>> > check on every request for the image to see if your size exists before
>>>> > deciding if you need to rescale it or not. Another unnecessary waste of
>>>> > processing time.
>>>>
>>>> Please... Having a page with a bunch of images uploaded by users in
>>>> various (normally large) sizes the scaling on the fly takes the
>>>> proverbial ages (i.e. several seconds).
>>> No it doesnt.
>>
>> It does. People tend to upload their images straight as they come from
>> their camera/smartphone. […]
>
> People need to be educated not to do that.

I try to. As far as filesize restrictions are concerned: 12 megapixels
from low-quality devices are frequently "small enough".

Gregor
Quick Reply
Formatting Tools:   
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: Re: PHP Eassy and Difficult
Next Topic:
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Dec 18 00:23:49 EST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00765 seconds