FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » subscribing to forums/topics
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
subscribing to forums/topics [message #17832] Tue, 20 April 2004 17:58 Go to next message
tourtier is currently offline  tourtier   France
Hi there,

When you subscribe to a forum, you are notified of new topics BUT not of following messages (unless you subscribe to the new topics first).
Is there an option/patch to solve that problem ?

btw, is there a way (e.g a script) to have all users subscribed at once to a forum [say, an "Announcement" forum] or to a topic [maybe a quick fix for the above pb] ?

Thanks a lot for your support.

PS
I love FUDforum but my users complain all the time about not being notified of new messages Sad
PS2
I'm running 6.2 with the latest cvs
Re: subscribing to forums/topics [message #17833 is a reply to message #17832] Tue, 20 April 2004 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
There is a bug with e-mail notifications in 2.6.2, I will be releasing 2.6.3 shortly that will address the problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: subscribing to forums/topics [message #17892 is a reply to message #17833] Fri, 23 April 2004 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've upgraded to 2.6.3RC1 but I still seem to have the same problem... Sad
Any idea ?
Re: subscribing to forums/topics [message #17896 is a reply to message #17892] Fri, 23 April 2004 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
can you show me what the following SQL command returns

describe fud26_thread_notify;

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: subscribing to forums/topics [message #17931 is a reply to message #17896] Mon, 26 April 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here it is:
+-----------+---------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field | Type | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| id | int(11) | | PRI | NULL | auto_increment |
| user_id | int(11) | | MUL | 0 | |
| thread_id | int(11) | | MUL | 0 | |

Hope it helps Razz
Re: subscribing to forums/topics [message #17932 is a reply to message #17931] Mon, 26 April 2004 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Argh... I gave you the wrong command to run, my apologies, this one shows the table structure and I needed to see the index structure.

Please run "show index from fud26_thread_notify"

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: subscribing to forums/topics [message #17933 is a reply to message #17932] Mon, 26 April 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No problem. Is this better ?

+---------------------+------------+--------------------------+------------ --+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+------+----- -------+---------+
| Table | Non_unique | Key_name | Seq_in_index | Column_name | Collation | Cardinality | Sub_part | Packed | Null | Index_type | Comment |
+---------------------+------------+--------------------------+------------ --+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+------+----- -------+---------+
| fud26_thread_notify | 0 | PRIMARY | 1 | id | A | 111 | NULL | NULL | | BTREE | |
| fud26_thread_notify | 0 | fud26_thread_notify_i_ut | 1 | user_id | A | NULL | NULL | NULL | | BTREE | |
| fud26_thread_notify | 0 | fud26_thread_notify_i_ut | 2 | thread_id | A | 111 | NULL | NULL | | BTREE | |
| fud26_thread_notify | 1 | fud26_thread_notify_i_t | 1 | thread_id | A | NULL | NULL | NULL | | BTREE | |
Re: subscribing to forums/topics [message #17935 is a reply to message #17933] Mon, 26 April 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That appears to be the correct data, there is a unique cross index between the user & the thread.

I think the e-mail notification problem is likely to be caused by some people not viewing the messages after being notified about it. This causes the forum to refuse to send them further messages since it thinks the user never responded to the original e-mail notification. You can 'fix' that by turning off "Smart Notification" option in the admin control panel, which would make the forum notify subscribed users on each reply.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: subscribing to forums/topics [message #17936 is a reply to message #17935] Mon, 26 April 2004 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again and thank you for your support,

Well, "smart notification" is already off (this is actually the first thing I did after upgrading to the new version, because I thought that would solve my problem...)
And I just made another test to double-check that we still have the problem : we do Crying or Very Sad

I'm wondering now whether this is a "notification" or a "subscription" pb.
Looks to me that the pb would be solved if, when subscribed to a forum, you were automatically subscribed to new topics: this doesn't seem to be the case. Is it normal ?

btw, is there a way to know who is susbcribed to a particular forum/topic and the list of emails that were sent ?
Re: subscribing to forums/topics [message #17937 is a reply to message #17936] Mon, 26 April 2004 17:28 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
I think the problem is a misunderstanding of how the subscriptions work.

Being subscribed to a forum ONLY means that you would get notified about new topics in that forum, it does not automatically subscribe you to every topic inside that forum.

You can see how is subscribed to what topic/forum by looking inside the thread_notify & forum_notify tables.

Each user has a control panel allowing them to manage their own subscriptions.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: 2.6.2 Maillist sync problem
Next Topic: Handling of confirmation expiry in 2.6.2
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon May 06 12:14:06 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02938 seconds