FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Converters » phpBB2 to FUDforum converter
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166115] Sun, 18 September 2011 19:33 Go to next message
ShineOn is currently offline  ShineOn   United States
Thanks.

Hey, remember me saying something about how I'm migrating phpbb2 => phpbb3 => FUD, and asking about a phpbb2 converter, and you said I should send you a copy of my phpbb2 forum and you'd write a converter?

I don't know if I should start a fresh topic on this but, I tried making my own and it's just sitting there after saying it's reading the phpbb2 config. It doesn't look like it's doing anything and it doesn't throw an error, so it's almost as though it exits the routine without ending or something.

One thing I noticed is that with the plugin for password conversion, that the phpbb2 password hash is identical to the fud password hash, and that the phpbb3 hash is not, and the plugin doesn't always let you log in with your old password and then convert it to the FUD hash - but if we copy the phpbb2 password field to the fud password field, no problems (even though the seed field isn't set to null).

Could the handling of the different password hash be where conversion using my phpbb2 map is exiting early/failing/hanging? I tried debugging with xdebug and eclipse but stepping through the convert.php using my phpbb2 map doesn't give me a clue on where it's failing (or exiting early.)

I like that you're willing to write me a converter map but I don't know that I could sell sending you a copy of my forum to the other admins/mods... if I should post this elsewhere, please let me know... Thanks!

[Updated on: Sun, 18 September 2011 19:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: phpbb3 conversion to 3.03RC1 - stuck [message #166116 is a reply to message #166115] Sun, 18 September 2011 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
My guess is that the config file exits because of a missing define. Anyway, if you need some help, and you can provide me a dump to test with, please open a new topic or e-mail me to discuss.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166121 is a reply to message #166116] Tue, 20 September 2011 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Here is a phpBB2 map you can try:
http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/fudforum/trunk/converter/convers ionmaps/phpBB2.map

Please let us know if you improve it so we can sync the changes back to the repository.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166136 is a reply to message #166115] Tue, 27 September 2011 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Canal Noises is currently offline  Canal Noises   United States
I just ran the converter using this map and it worked great for the most part. As far as I can tell right now, the only problems are with the attachments and smilies. Apparently I can't post a link to the attachment mod I used, but if you search "phpbb2 attachment mod by acyd burn" you should be able to find it. I know this isn't part of a standard phpBB2 install, but is there any way you guys could make it work? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would find it useful. It was a very popular mod back in the day.

The smilies themselves imported just fine, but they don't display in any of the posts imported from phpBB2. It looks like the conversion script replaced each smilie with a hardcoded path to the image, which would be fine except I had uploaded some custom smilies to the forum with different file names from the default smilies and the script has used the default file names.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated. We've been stuck on phpBB2 because our community insists on having a mailing list interface, and the mail2forum add-on for phpBB2 is the only free and open source solution I had been able to find. I was really excited when I discovered that FUDforum is a modern, currently maintained forum software with the mailing list built in! I am really hoping we can get it to work for our needs.

Thanks for your time!
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166144 is a reply to message #166136] Wed, 28 September 2011 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This should address both problems:
http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=5393&view=rev
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166147 is a reply to message #166144] Wed, 28 September 2011 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Canal Noises is currently offline  Canal Noises   United States
Wow, that was fast! That worked great, thank you so much! You're awesome. Very Happy
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166182 is a reply to message #166115] Sun, 09 October 2011 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, naudefj!

I will try this out as soon as I can.

By the way, I have found a couple of issues with my prior conversion (using phpbb3 as a middle step). Don't know if these are addressed in your latest phpBB2 conversion map or not...

1) Some bbcode doesn't translate, for example [list]. Does FUDforum have the [list] bbcode? Do I have to add that?

2) Internal links do not translate well. Any links within a topic/post that redirect to another topic/post within the forum appear broken. The phpbb "viewtopic.php/viewforum.php" functionality is apparently in the index.php script in FUDforum, and the forum/topic/message number variables are different, even though the numbers referenced match up. I will get more info to you on that, if you want to address this in the converter. It would be nice if the messages were checked for internal forum post links which would be translated from <webroot>/viewtopic.php?etc. or <webroot>/viewforum.php?etc. to the FUDforum <webroot>/index.php?etc. topic/message URL format, so the internal links aren't broken post-conversion.

3) Any external links to the forum will also be broken, because although the forum ID, topic ID and post ID are all consistent, the URL format is different. Is there a possibility of perhaps a plugin that would "unbreak" external links so someone linking to your site with the phpbb format link would have it translated to the FUDforum url for the same forum/topic number, or will all of those external links also be broken?

4) There appears to be a difference in max message length between my phpbb forum and FUD. Is there a way to either detect messages that would be truncated or change the max message length to match the source forum?
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166185 is a reply to message #166182] Sun, 09 October 2011 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
ShineOn wrote:
1) Some bbcode doesn't translate, for example [list]. Does FUDforum have the [list] bbcode? Do I have to add that?

It was fixed a while ago. Lists should now be converted. If you see any other BBcode problems, let us know so we can fix them.

ShineOn wrote:
2) Internal links do not translate well. Any links within a topic/post that redirect to another topic/post within the forum appear broken. The phpbb "viewtopic.php/viewforum.php" functionality is apparently in the index.php script in FUDforum, and the forum/topic/message number variables are different, even though the numbers referenced match up. I will get more info to you on that, if you want to address this in the converter. It would be nice if the messages were checked for internal forum post links which would be translated from <webroot>/viewtopic.php?etc. or <webroot>/viewforum.php?etc. to the FUDforum <webroot>/index.php?etc. topic/message URL format, so the internal links aren't broken post-conversion.

I'm sure we can implement it. Mail me a couple of examples to work on.

ShineOn wrote:
3) Any external links to the forum will also be broken, because although the forum ID, topic ID and post ID are all consistent, the URL format is different. Is there a possibility of perhaps a plugin that would "unbreak" external links so someone linking to your site with the phpbb format link would have it translated to the FUDforum url for the same forum/topic number, or will all of those external links also be broken?

You can always re-map URLs with .htaccess rewrite rules.

ShineOn wrote:
4) There appears to be a difference in max message length between my phpbb forum and FUD. Is there a way to either detect messages that would be truncated or change the max message length to match the source forum?

Message formats are different and there is no direct way of comparing them.
The easiest would be to find the longest message in phpBB and check if it complete in FUDforum.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166187 is a reply to message #166185] Sun, 09 October 2011 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj, using the latest svn of convert.php and your new (thank you!) phpbb2 conversion map, I get the same curious result as when I tried making my own phpbb2 conversion map, where it stops after displaying "reading config file <path to phpbb2 root>/config.php"

I have more than one functioning instance of the phpbb2 forum site (test/dev and production) and using neither one as the source path gets past that display. Can you suggest a way to get more detailed logging (without having access to php.ini) so I can troubleshoot this? I'm getting nothing in my error_log, and I'm using "verbose" in the convert.php option.

Is there an error logging feature of the convert.php subsystem that I can turn on, that might log to the fud_data/errors directory or something like that?

Also, regarding the long message truncation - the field types are the same, so there shouldn't be any truncation in the database, so if the message is complete there, wouldn't it be something in FUDforum limiting how many characters will fit in a message body?

I will check the database to see if the messages I've noticed are truncated in FUDforum are complete in the database and report back.
<edit> The message is truncated in the DB field. Could it have been truncated in the process of moving messages from the file store to the DB store?</edit>
<edit2> I think the problem with the convert.php exiting may be not in config.php but in includes/constants.php. I am trying to find a "vanilla" constants.php for phpBB2 to see where it may be breaking the process. </edit2>
<edit3> Yep. We have the torrent pier mod, and there's an "include once" for includes/constants_bt.php in constants.php. Commenting out that include once statement allowed the conversion to run.

I will let you know how it went when I have a chance to check it out. </edit3>

<edit4> It seemed to convert ok, BUT...
When I ran the consistency check afterward, it blew away all of the smiley icons.
</edit4>
<edit5> - ok - the smilies thing was my fault. Not blown away.

However, none of the smilies appear in the posts. The smilies "tags" are there as text. With tens of thousands of posts that would be a real pain in the rear to manually fix all the smilies.

The conversion seems to work well other than that - the smilies not showing up in the posts, and the permalinks not being translated.

naudefj, if you're going to do the link conversion, it might be best to have it convert to path-style URLs if that option is turned on, otherwise to standard FUDforum url format.

I can try to handle external links using htaccess rewrite rules.

Please let me know if you're going to do the internal link conversion. Thanks!
<edit5>

[Updated on: Tue, 11 October 2011 20:50]

Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166358 is a reply to message #166115] Fri, 25 November 2011 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
New issue with the phpBB2 converter:

The IP addresses are still in hex format in the user table, the format that phpBB2 stores IP addresses in.

Only new posts show the dotted-decimal notation which the IP address checking tools use, so you can't check on a user's IP address by clicking on what displays from an old message, and you can't check to see what other users have posted from a dotted-decimal-notation IP because the hexadecimal format is stored in the table for old messages.

I could have sworn that was working, but I hadn't noticed one way or the other because I wasn't checking for that.

I really would rather not re-convert. Too many changes were made post-conversion to make it worthwhile. Is there an easy way to change the IP addresses from hex to dotted-decimal in all the messages, like a standard function or something, or would a program have to be written from scratch to do this?

[Updated on: Fri, 25 November 2011 02:31]

Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166361 is a reply to message #166358] Fri, 25 November 2011 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The query on this page may help you to fix your data:
http://www.4webhelp.net/us/phpbb_ip.php

I'll prepare a fix for the converter later.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166362 is a reply to message #166361] Fri, 25 November 2011 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Converter fix @ http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/fudforum?view=revision&revis ion=5406
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166363 is a reply to message #166362] Fri, 25 November 2011 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 more possible issues:

1) The phpbb2 I am converting has in its constants.php 4 levels of avatar.
0=none
1=remote
2=upload
3=gallery

2) The plugin for PM a new user hardcodes user ID 2 as the admin user. If the admin changes, then the wrong user gets used as the from user in the pm.

Workaround: add another hack_id similar to the one for user ID 1, only for user ID 2. This frees up the convert script to add the default admin user at user ID 2.

Alternative fix: change the PM a new user CP to include selection of "from" user ID.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166365 is a reply to message #166362] Fri, 25 November 2011 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tested this and it doesn't work. I still get the phpbb2 hex-format addresses.

I believe the problem may be that you're using is_numeric testing against the phpbb2 hex-valued IP address without prepending 0x to the field value. The phpbb2 ip format does not include the 0x prefix but simply the four hex-pairs.

Hex numbers don't return true to is_numeric unless they are in notation "0xff...ff" - without the 0x it evaluates as a string.

I think perhaps simply testing for length of 8 with no dots would suffice. Anything else wouldn't have to pass through the hex-to-decimal function.

I suggest this because 10.2.3.4 is a valid dotted-decimal IP address with length of 8.

You could test for length of 8 and if not 8 just pass the value, and test for a dot in the hex-to-decimal function, so you don't have to regex every record.

<edit> - I see that you are testing for strlen == 8 in the function, so I don't see the value of testing the ip_addr message field before sending it to the function... </edit>

<edit2>Frank, I commented out the test for is_numeric for message ip_addr and changed the insert routine to match the pm ip_addr line, using the decode_ip function, and it converted the IP's fine.

/*	if (is_numeric($message['ip_addr'])) {
		$message['ip_addr'] = decode_ip($message['ip_addr']);
	}
*/
	q('INSERT INTO '. $GLOBALS['DBHOST_TBL_PREFIX'] .'msg
		(id, thread_id, poster_id, post_stamp, update_stamp, updated_by, subject,
		 ip_addr, foff, length, file_id, msg_opt, apr
	) VALUES (
		'. $message['id'] .',
		'. (int)$message['thread_id'] .',
		'. (int)$message['poster_id'] .',
		'. (int)$message['post_stamp'] .',
		'. (int)$message['update_stamp'] .',
		'. (int)$message['updated_by'] .',
		'. _esc($message['subject']) .',
		'. _esc(decode_ip($message['ip_addr'])) .',
		'. $off .',
		'. $len .',
		'. $file_id .',
		'. (int)$message['msg_opt'] .',
		1)'
	);
}

</edit2>

[Updated on: Fri, 25 November 2011 19:48]

Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166367 is a reply to message #166365] Sat, 26 November 2011 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Thanks, your fixes were committed:
http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=5407&view=rev and http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=5408&view=rev

The decode_ip() function will now:
1. Check if IP is valid. If so, return.
2. If not, and len==8, convert hex to dotted and return.
3. If numeric, do a long2ip() and return.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166369 is a reply to message #166367] Sun, 27 November 2011 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool.

New problem - polls. The poll topics and polls themselves transferred but none of the votes converted - they all say zero votes.

Can you think of a way I can fix that after-the-fact? Assuming you will fix the converter so polls transfer properly, I can't do a selective restore, so I wouldn't be able to re-convert to a temporary FUDforum site, dump the poll topics, and re-load the poll topics on the live FUDforum site, right? Or can I?
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166370 is a reply to message #166369] Sun, 27 November 2011 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
phpBB2 doesn't track who voted for what option, so votes aren't imported.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #167919 is a reply to message #166370] Mon, 12 November 2012 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
merryflip is currently offline  merryflip   United States
well, the software is really very great.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #168343 is a reply to message #167919] Sun, 21 April 2013 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpreston is currently offline  cpreston   United States
Frank,

We spoke last year about me migrating our phpBB2/mail2forum forum to FUDforum, and you were very helpful. Now I'm finally ready to give it a shot and I'm very glad to see that you're on the job!

I am still running php 5.2.17 because phpBB2 can't run any higher than that. I will be able to upgrade PHP once I migrate this forum to FUDforum.

Here's the doozy: It's a large forum with 10K users and 250K messages.

I downloaded the latest MigrationAssistant.zip, unzipped it into the directory and ran:
php convert.php phpBB2 ../phpBB2

Everything seemed to work fine until it started importing messages, at which point it gave a segmentation fault. When I google about php and seg faults, the suggestion seems to be to upgrade PHP.

Suggestions? TIA for any help.

Other config values in case you're curious:
cPanel Version 11.36.1 (build 5)
Apache version 2.2.23
PHP version 5.2.17
MySQL version 5.0.96-community
Architecture x86_64
Operating system linux
Kernel version 2.6.18-194.32.1.el5
cPanel Pro 1.0 (RC1)

I tried copying the database to another host with a more recent PHP version. (phpBB2 won't work over there, but I can access the database.) Now when I try to do the import I get an error right away during the user import:

?343 ?1366516804?(/home/<user>/FUDforum/include/theme/default/db.inc:104<br />
/home/<user>/public_html/ff/convert.php:328<br />
/home/<user>/public_html/ff/conversionmaps/phpBB2.map:108<br />
/home/<user>/public_html/ff/convert.php:818<br />
) 1062: Duplicate entry '' for key 'fud30_users_i_a'<br />
Query: <br />
Database version: 5.5.30-cll<br />

[Updated on: Sun, 21 April 2013 04:06]

Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #168370 is a reply to message #166115] Wed, 24 April 2013 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am getting nowhere and am spinning my wheels. I have now tried putting the database on a 5.3 site, because some of my apps don't run on 5.4 yet.

Now this is what happens when I run the import script

$ php convert.php phpBB2 ../phpBB2
phpBB2 to FUDforum conversion
Read phpBB2's config...
... reading config file ../phpBB2/config.php
... reading config file ../phpBB2/includes/constants.php
Connecting to phpBB2's database...
... connected to mysql4 database <username>@<database>
Import avatars...
...Skip invalid avatar [index.htm]
Import smilies...
Import users...
Import categories...
Import forums...
Import topics...
Import messages...
PHP Warning:  strpos(): Offset not contained in string in /home/<username>/FUDforum/include/theme/default/post_proc.inc on line 447

Warning: strpos(): Offset not contained in string in /home/<username>/FUDforum/include/theme/default/post_proc.inc on line 447
PHP Notice:  Uninitialized string offset: 1240 in /home/<username>/FUDforum/include/theme/default/post_proc.inc on line 431

Notice: Uninitialized string offset: 1240 in /home/<username>/FUDforum/include/theme/default/post_proc.inc on line 431
PHP Notice:  Uninitialized string offset: 2621 in /home/<username>/FUDforum/include/theme/default/post_proc.inc on line 431

.... a whole bunch more like that....

Import attachments...
Import polls...
SQL statement: SELECT vd.*, p.forum_id, p.post_id, p.poster_id FROM <username>_site.phpbb_vote_desc vd INNER JOIN <username>_site.phpbb_topics t ON t.topic_id=vd.topic_id INNER JOIN <username>_site.phpbb_posts p ON p.post_id=t.topic_first_post_id
MySQL error: MySQL server has gone away

When I'm done, I do see a bunch of users, but I see no forums or posts.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #168374 is a reply to message #168370] Wed, 24 April 2013 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   
Administrator
Core Developer
The "MySQL server has gone away" error is an indication that your server/ database is probably overloaded and cannot process the request. This is, unfortunately, not a FUDforum problem and we cannot help you with it.

Tip: To see the messages, you need run the consistency checker.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #168379 is a reply to message #168374] Thu, 25 April 2013 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright, moving it to a beefier box got rid of that error. I still have the others, and I think I know what's causing them. I decided to start a different thread because the errors are specific to mail2forum.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #168644 is a reply to message #168379] Sun, 16 June 2013 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm continuing to work on this, and I'm oh so close. It's importing 99% of the messages, but 1% are silently failing. So I have a few questions:

- Any idea why a small portion of the messages would not import?
- What happens if I run the import again? Does it look to see which messages are/aren't imported and import the ones that arent?
- I ask the above question in hopes that I could figure out which messages aren't working, fix them somehow, then rerun the script so they import properly.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #168674 is a reply to message #168644] Thu, 27 June 2013 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
> Any idea why a small portion of the messages would not import?

Maybe they are all there. I wouldn't necessarily trust phpBB2's counts.

> What happens if I run the import again? Does it look to see which messages are/aren't imported and import the ones that aren't?

It will erase all messages and restart the conversion process. The idea is to go through a couple of iterations until you are happy with the result.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #168718 is a reply to message #168674] Fri, 05 July 2013 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are definitely messages that didn't import. Multiple attempts continue to leave the same messages out. What should my next step be? I need to sort this out before I go live, of course.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #168721 is a reply to message #168718] Fri, 05 July 2013 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Should be easy to fix, but I need to get hold of one or more of those messages (in raw format from the DB) to setup a test case.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #168791 is a reply to message #168721] Thu, 25 July 2013 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had my team look at it. The messages that don't import appear to be messages in phpBB that don't have an associated thread. I'm not sure how those messages got created in the first place, or how you even have a message that isn't attached to a thread, but the mystery appears to be solved!
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #168802 is a reply to message #168791] Fri, 26 July 2013 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Good to know, thanks.

It should be relatively easy to import them under an "orphaned messages" thread.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #168829 is a reply to message #168802] Sun, 28 July 2013 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless you tell me it's really easy for you to make that happen, I think I'm just going to let it go. I just wanted an explanation. Not sure what the value would be of messages that got put into an orphaned messages thread.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #183071 is a reply to message #168343] Mon, 07 October 2013 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was running php 5.4.20 and was getting these errors again. I downreved to the next lowest version (5.3.27) and the import worked. However, that's weird that it wouldn't run with the current non-experimental PHP version. 5.3.27 is deprecated according to cpanel.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #183077 is a reply to message #183071] Mon, 07 October 2013 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Are you referring to the "MySQL server has gone away" errors? This normally indicates a database issue that we don't have any control over.

What MySQL Driver are you using? Try to pick "MySQL Improved" when installing the forum. BTW, in 3.0.5 the installer won't allow you to pick the deprecated "MySQL" driver any longer.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #183079 is a reply to message #183077] Mon, 07 October 2013 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm referring to the "duplicate entry for key" errors. I am using mysqli.
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #183101 is a reply to message #183079] Tue, 08 October 2013 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Maybe start by getting the latest converter scripts from https://sourceforge.net/projects/fudforum/files/
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #183102 is a reply to message #183101] Tue, 08 October 2013 20:25 Go to previous message
I did download them and use them.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Converting phpBB2 w/mail2forum posts
Next Topic: Xenforo converter
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:31:48 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02905 seconds