FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Documentation structure and 'show'/'hide'
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Documentation structure and 'show'/'hide' [message #184980] Sat, 22 February 2014 08:08 Go to next message
peter.kehl is currently offline  peter.kehl
http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/Installation uses 'show' and 'hide' for sections. I find this type of structuring documentation frustrating.

Let's say I search in your documentation or on the internet, and this page comes up as a match. I get to this page and the section is hidden by default. I can't use the browser's find text feature to locate the word I've searched for originally - even though the page showed up as a match.

A user shouldn't be expected to read through the whole page and to find 'show'. It may be a logical step for the user to use the browser's find feature straight away, because he or she may have been on this page before and now he or she is just interested in a bit related to that specific word.

Since you have TOC at the top of the page anyway, what value does show/hide give? Readers should use TOC to navigate. Maybe you could increase TOC level, or split the page into several ones.
Re: Documentation structure and 'show'/'hide' [message #184981 is a reply to message #184980] Sat, 22 February 2014 08:15 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   
Administrator
Core Developer
Valid point. Please feel free to change it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Mails to GMail ist Blocked as Spam
Next Topic: Automated browser-based functional/regression testing of FUDforum
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:51:08 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04897 seconds