FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Registered users change view and get error message ("Flat topic listing/Tree message listing" vs "Flat View message and topic listing")
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Registered users change view and get error message [message #185403] Wed, 26 March 2014 15:03 Go to next message
FirstWizard is currently offline  FirstWizard   United States
I am a newbie at operating FUDforum and we really like it. I am not a programmer and need some assistance please.
We run a site with all forums moderated using the default theme. About the only thing that has been changed in the theme is the welcome banner.

If a registered user goes to Control Panel > Account Settings > Default Topic View: and selects "Flat topic listing/Tree message listing" instead of the default of "Flat View message and topic listing" everything seems to work but these messages appear at the top of the page, above the welcome banner:
Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$kiddie_count in C:\xampp\htdocs\theme\default\tree.php on line 1039
Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$kiddie_count in C:\xampp\htdocs\theme\default\tree.php on line 1036

If they change it back, the error goes away.
From the admin pages, there is nothing in the error logs.

Lines 1035-1042 from tree.php

if ($r->reply_to > 0) {
			$arr[$r->reply_to]->kiddie_count++;
			$arr[$r->reply_to]->kiddies[] = &$arr[$r->id];
		} else 	if ($r->reply_to == 0) {
			$tree->kiddie_count++;
			$tree->kiddies[] = &$arr[$r->id];
		}
	}

Can anyone recommend corrective action?
Re: Registered users change view and get error message [message #185443 is a reply to message #185403] Mon, 31 March 2014 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
What version of FUDforum are you running?
If not the latest, please upgrade to confirm before we start working on this.
Re: Registered users change view and get error message [message #185449 is a reply to message #185443] Mon, 31 March 2014 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
According to the Administration Forum Dashboard:

FUDforum: 3.0.5
PHP: 5.5.9
Database: mysql 5.6.16 (mysqli)
Operating system: Windows NT 6.1

It was downloaded (sourceforge.net/projects/fudforum/files/) and installed Feb 27th 2014.

System Configuration

Overview of your system's configuration. Please include this when reporting bugs on the support forum:

FUDforum version: 3.0.5
PHP version: 5.5.9
PHP built on: Windows NT FUDFORUM 6.1 build 7601 (Windows 7 Business Edition Service Pack 1) i586
Database type: mysql (mysqli)
Database version: 5.6.16
Web server: Apache/2.4.7 (Win32) OpenSSL/1.0.1e PHP/5.5.9
Web server to PHP interface: apache2handler
Relevant PHP settings:
Safe mode: OFF
Open basedir: none
Display errors: ON
File uploads: ON
Maximum file upload size: 2M
Magic quotes: OFF
Output buffering: Yes
Disabled functions: none
PSpell support: No
Zlib support: Yes
Re: Registered users change view and get error message [message #185464 is a reply to message #185449] Wed, 02 April 2014 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   
Administrator
Core Developer
I've tried my best to simulate the error, but are unable to reproduce it. The code looks about right as well - you should see the initializations a couple of likes above the code you've posted:
$tree = new stdClass();
$stack = $arr = array();

As workaround you can always disable the notices from your php.ini (notices should normally be turned off for production anyway).
Re: Registered users change view and get error message [message #185474 is a reply to message #185464] Wed, 02 April 2014 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want to thank you for all of your help so far.

I have put together some web page shots for you to take a look at.

These files are in the attached web_page_graphics.zip file.
1 - home page - logged in.mht
2 - Control Paned.mht
3 - Showing Tree list.mht
4 - Showing after selecting message.mht
A - Topics - Admin Control Panel_php.mht
B - Message Settings - Admin Control Panel_php.mht

1 thru 4 are from the aspect of the user, and A and B are the Topics and Message Settings from the Admin Control Panel.

If there are any files that you would like a copy of, let me know and I will be glad to provide them. If there are any other details I can provide, please let me know.

If you would like to log into my site here is the link:
http://forum.comtrol.com/

If you would like admin rights to look around, send me a private email once you are logged in.

I don't really have a problem with disabling the notices, but if possible I would really like to get to the bottom of the cause.
Re: Registered users change view and get error message [message #185477 is a reply to message #185474] Wed, 02 April 2014 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpreston is currently offline  cpreston   
I"m not sure what's causing this particular error, but I always config php to not display errors unless I'm debugging or its a development site. There is just to many minor errors (or things that look like errors) in open source code (I run Joomla sites and see a lot of errors there) to leave it on.

To turn off errors, find your php.ini and comment out the lines below by putting a ';' in front of them.

error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE
error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE | E_STRICT
error_reporting = E_COMPILE_ERROR|E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR|E_ER... _ERROR

If you're running something like cpanel that edits the php.ini for you, they'll have a thing in there were you can change the reporting level to NONE.
Re: Registered users change view and get error message [message #185478 is a reply to message #185477] Wed, 02 April 2014 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have looked in both php.ini and php.ini-production.
Quote:
error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE | E_STRICT
error_reporting = E_COMPILE_ERROR|E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR|E_ER... _ERROR

It looks like line 1 and line 4 are the same.
I searched both php.ini and php.ini-production for simply "E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE" and "E_COMPILE_ERROR" (without using the quotes) and every line already has the semi-colon.

Should I manually add the lines in the section called ; Error Level Constants: ?
Re: Registered users change view and get error message [message #185479 is a reply to message #185478] Wed, 02 April 2014 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpreston is currently offline  cpreston   
My suggestion is to comment these lines out, like so:

;error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE
;error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE | E_STRICT
;error_reporting = E_COMPILE_ERROR|E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR|E_ER... _ERROR
;error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE
Re: Registered users change view and get error message [message #185481 is a reply to message #185479] Thu, 03 April 2014 12:44 Go to previous message
All of the lines are already commented out.

I have attached php.zip which includes the php.ini and php.ini-production files if you would like to take a look.
  • Attachment: php.zip
    (Size: 46.04KB, Downloaded 922 times)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: NNTP import fails with charset issue
Next Topic: error message
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed May 01 09:07:50 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02784 seconds