FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Imported messages » comp.lang.php » Message Subject
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
| Subscribe to topic | Bookmark topic 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Message Subject [message #185853] Mon, 12 May 2014 16:48 Go to next message
your_email is currently offline  your_email
Messages: 1
Registered: May 2014
Karma: 0
Junior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
How can I use PHP to post new and reply to existing Usenet messages?
Re: Message Subject [message #185854 is a reply to message #185853] Mon, 12 May 2014 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Stuckle is currently offline  Jerry Stuckle
Messages: 2598
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 5/12/2014 4:48 PM, your_email(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
> How can I use PHP to post new and reply to existing Usenet messages?
>

You need to implement the NNTP (Network News Transport Protocol) to do
it. There's a PEAR package for this at

http://pear.php.net/package/Net_NNTP

I haven't tried it, but the last release was 2013-05-31, so it's more up
to date than many PEAR packages.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
jstucklex(at)attglobal(dot)net
==================
Re: Message Subject [message #185855 is a reply to message #185853] Mon, 12 May 2014 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Oldies is currently offline  Mr Oldies
Messages: 241
Registered: October 2013
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 12 May 2014 20:48:31 GMT, your_email(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:

> How can I use PHP to post new and reply to existing Usenet messages?

First, learn how to properly post a question or article in usenet.
Your subject has nothing to do with the question asked.
Now ask your host if your hosting package can handle the task you want it
to do.
To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to have a
dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.

Sounds like a homework assignment.
Re: Message Subject [message #185856 is a reply to message #185855] Mon, 12 May 2014 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Stuckle is currently offline  Jerry Stuckle
Messages: 2598
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 5/12/2014 5:56 PM, richard wrote:
> On 12 May 2014 20:48:31 GMT, your_email(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>
>> How can I use PHP to post new and reply to existing Usenet messages?
>
> First, learn how to properly post a question or article in usenet.
> Your subject has nothing to do with the question asked.
> Now ask your host if your hosting package can handle the task you want it
> to do.
> To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
> newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to have a
> dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.
>
> Sounds like a homework assignment.
>

Once again it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. A
usenet client requires neither private newsgroups or a dedicated IP.

And I doubt very much it's a homework assignment.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
jstucklex(at)attglobal(dot)net
==================
Re: Message Subject [message #185857 is a reply to message #185856] Mon, 12 May 2014 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Oldies is currently offline  Mr Oldies
Messages: 241
Registered: October 2013
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Mon, 12 May 2014 19:46:44 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

> On 5/12/2014 5:56 PM, richard wrote:
>> On 12 May 2014 20:48:31 GMT, your_email(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>>
>>> How can I use PHP to post new and reply to existing Usenet messages?
>>
>> First, learn how to properly post a question or article in usenet.
>> Your subject has nothing to do with the question asked.
>> Now ask your host if your hosting package can handle the task you want it
>> to do.
>> To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
>> newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to have a
>> dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.
>>
>> Sounds like a homework assignment.
>>
>
> Once again it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. A
> usenet client requires neither private newsgroups or a dedicated IP.
>
> And I doubt very much it's a homework assignment.

I have already asked my hosts what is needed to do basically anything with
usenet on my site. They told me I needed a dedicated IP and a higher grade
package.
Yeah ok, you might get away with a dozen or so newsgroups.
But don't even consider trying to host 100,000 groups.

White it can be done, and is done on many sites, I'm just saying this is
not something to tackle if you have no idea on where to begin.
Since the OP oculdn't even get the title of the post right, let alone the
email addy, ya think he's ready to tackle what he wants to do?
I think not.

However, if I do ever want to host newsgroups on my site, I could very
easily.
I buy the service from newsguy, they install a perl script on my site and
I'm in business.
Re: Message Subject [message #185858 is a reply to message #185857] Mon, 12 May 2014 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Stuckle is currently offline  Jerry Stuckle
Messages: 2598
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 5/12/2014 8:46 PM, richard wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 2014 19:46:44 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>
>> On 5/12/2014 5:56 PM, richard wrote:
>>> On 12 May 2014 20:48:31 GMT, your_email(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>>>
>>>> How can I use PHP to post new and reply to existing Usenet messages?
>>>
>>> First, learn how to properly post a question or article in usenet.
>>> Your subject has nothing to do with the question asked.
>>> Now ask your host if your hosting package can handle the task you want it
>>> to do.
>>> To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
>>> newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to have a
>>> dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.
>>>
>>> Sounds like a homework assignment.
>>>
>>
>> Once again it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. A
>> usenet client requires neither private newsgroups or a dedicated IP.
>>
>> And I doubt very much it's a homework assignment.
>
> I have already asked my hosts what is needed to do basically anything with
> usenet on my site. They told me I needed a dedicated IP and a higher grade
> package.
> Yeah ok, you might get away with a dozen or so newsgroups.
> But don't even consider trying to host 100,000 groups.
>
> White it can be done, and is done on many sites, I'm just saying this is
> not something to tackle if you have no idea on where to begin.
> Since the OP oculdn't even get the title of the post right, let alone the
> email addy, ya think he's ready to tackle what he wants to do?
> I think not.
>
> However, if I do ever want to host newsgroups on my site, I could very
> easily.
> I buy the service from newsguy, they install a perl script on my site and
> I'm in business.
>

ROFLAMO! You don't even know the difference between a SERVER and a CLIENT.

It's not that hard for someone INTELLIGENT to create a client in PHP;
it's much harder for YOU to create ANYTHING - PHP or otherwise.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
jstucklex(at)attglobal(dot)net
==================
Re: Message Subject [message #185859 is a reply to message #185855] Mon, 12 May 2014 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doug Miller is currently offline  Doug Miller
Messages: 171
Registered: August 2011
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
richard <noreply(at)example(dot)com> wrote in news:qmoc3d12qrto.v0eny3l0ddef$.dlg@
40tude.net:

> On 12 May 2014 20:48:31 GMT, your_email(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>
>> How can I use PHP to post new and reply to existing Usenet messages?
>
> First, learn how to properly post a question or article in usenet.
> Your subject has nothing to do with the question asked.
> Now ask your host if your hosting package can handle the task you want it
> to do.

Tell me, Richard the Stupid, which hosts are not able to handle news clients.

> To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
> newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to have a
> dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.

Richard the Stupid, stop trying to answer questions about which you know nothing.

He's basically asking how to construct a news client in PHP -- which most emphatically
does *not* require "a dedicated IP and a server that can handle NNTP".

> Sounds like a homework assignment.

Sounds like you need a glass navel to see where you're going.
Re: Message Subject [message #185860 is a reply to message #185857] Mon, 12 May 2014 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doug Miller is currently offline  Doug Miller
Messages: 171
Registered: August 2011
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
richard <noreply(at)example(dot)com> wrote in news:afmu0nn6ay0a$.kg1klvs7gloe.dlg@
40tude.net:

> On Mon, 12 May 2014 19:46:44 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>
>> On 5/12/2014 5:56 PM, richard wrote:
>>> On 12 May 2014 20:48:31 GMT, your_email(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>>>
>>>> How can I use PHP to post new and reply to existing Usenet messages?
>>>
>>> First, learn how to properly post a question or article in usenet.
>>> Your subject has nothing to do with the question asked.
>>> Now ask your host if your hosting package can handle the task you want it
>>> to do.
>>> To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
>>> newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to have a
>>> dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.
>>>
>>> Sounds like a homework assignment.
>>>
>>
>> Once again it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. A
>> usenet client requires neither private newsgroups or a dedicated IP.
>>
>> And I doubt very much it's a homework assignment.
>
> I have already asked my hosts what is needed to do basically anything with
> usenet on my site. They told me I needed a dedicated IP and a higher grade
> package.
> Yeah ok, you might get away with a dozen or so newsgroups.
> But don't even consider trying to host 100,000 groups.

He's not talking about trying to host even one group, Richard the Stupid. All he wants to do
is read messages and post replies.
>
> White it can be done, and is done on many sites, I'm just saying this is
> not something to tackle if you have no idea on where to begin.

LMAO! Look who's talking.
Re: Message Subject [message #185861 is a reply to message #185855] Tue, 13 May 2014 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan Platt is currently offline  Evan Platt
Messages: 124
Registered: November 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Mon, 12 May 2014 17:56:49 -0400, richard <noreply(at)example(dot)com>
wrote:

> To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
> newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to have a
> dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.

To post a message to Usenet I need a dedicated IP and a 'server that
can handle NNTP"?

Where do you come up with this stuff bullis?
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address.
Re: Message Subject [message #185868 is a reply to message #185861] Tue, 13 May 2014 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Oldies is currently offline  Mr Oldies
Messages: 241
Registered: October 2013
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Mon, 12 May 2014 21:00:53 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Mon, 12 May 2014 17:56:49 -0400, richard <noreply(at)example(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
>> newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to have a
>> dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.
>
> To post a message to Usenet I need a dedicated IP and a 'server that
> can handle NNTP"?
>
> Where do you come up with this stuff bullis?

NO YOU do not.
But if you wanted to host usenet newsgroups on your sebsite, then your
hosting service will determine what you need.
And you are an IT professional?
There is a lot of stuff behind the scenes you need to know about before you
tackle such a project. It ain't as simple as writing a few pages and
hooking up to an account.
Ya see Evan, I did all this research some 15 years ago and found out what
it takes.
Re: Message Subject [message #185869 is a reply to message #185859] Tue, 13 May 2014 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Oldies is currently offline  Mr Oldies
Messages: 241
Registered: October 2013
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Tue, 13 May 2014 03:03:20 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:

> richard <noreply(at)example(dot)com> wrote in news:qmoc3d12qrto.v0eny3l0ddef$.dlg@
> 40tude.net:
>
>> On 12 May 2014 20:48:31 GMT, your_email(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>>
>>> How can I use PHP to post new and reply to existing Usenet messages?
>>
>> First, learn how to properly post a question or article in usenet.
>> Your subject has nothing to do with the question asked.
>> Now ask your host if your hosting package can handle the task you want it
>> to do.
>
> Tell me, Richard the Stupid, which hosts are not able to handle news clients.
>
>> To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
>> newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to have a
>> dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.
>
> Richard the Stupid, stop trying to answer questions about which you know nothing.
>
> He's basically asking how to construct a news client in PHP -- which most emphatically
> does *not* require "a dedicated IP and a server that can handle NNTP".
>
>> Sounds like a homework assignment.
>
> Sounds like you need a glass navel to see where you're going.

We are not speaking of clients here. That is not what the OP wants to know
about.
Can your news client run directly off your website as is?
I don't think so.

Aren't you one of the asswipes around here bitchin and whinin about how I
insult you so much? So whay are you insulting me just for trying to educate
someone?

If you can't stand the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen.
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

If I'm so stupid, why do I rtouinely get IQ test score of 125?
Pres. Obabma is 105.
Re: Message Subject [message #185870 is a reply to message #185860] Tue, 13 May 2014 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Oldies is currently offline  Mr Oldies
Messages: 241
Registered: October 2013
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Tue, 13 May 2014 03:04:56 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:

> richard <noreply(at)example(dot)com> wrote in news:afmu0nn6ay0a$.kg1klvs7gloe.dlg@
> 40tude.net:
>
>> On Mon, 12 May 2014 19:46:44 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>
>>> On 5/12/2014 5:56 PM, richard wrote:
>>>> On 12 May 2014 20:48:31 GMT, your_email(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>>>>
>>>> > How can I use PHP to post new and reply to existing Usenet messages?
>>>>
>>>> First, learn how to properly post a question or article in usenet.
>>>> Your subject has nothing to do with the question asked.
>>>> Now ask your host if your hosting package can handle the task you want it
>>>> to do.
>>>> To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
>>>> newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to have a
>>>> dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.
>>>>
>>>> Sounds like a homework assignment.
>>>>
>>>
>>> Once again it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. A
>>> usenet client requires neither private newsgroups or a dedicated IP.
>>>
>>> And I doubt very much it's a homework assignment.
>>
>> I have already asked my hosts what is needed to do basically anything with
>> usenet on my site. They told me I needed a dedicated IP and a higher grade
>> package.
>> Yeah ok, you might get away with a dozen or so newsgroups.
>> But don't even consider trying to host 100,000 groups.
>
> He's not talking about trying to host even one group, Richard the Smart. All he wants to do
> is read messages and post replies.
>>
>> White it can be done, and is done on many sites, I'm just saying this is
>> not something to tackle if you have no idea on where to begin.
>
> LMAO! Look who's talking.

Excuse me kind sir, how do you post usenet messages from a website without
hosting a group?
Usenet is not part of a web hosting service.
Now how ya gonna tap into usenet?
You need a newsfeed from somewhere.
Re: Message Subject [message #185871 is a reply to message #185858] Tue, 13 May 2014 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Oldies is currently offline  Mr Oldies
Messages: 241
Registered: October 2013
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Mon, 12 May 2014 20:52:28 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

> On 5/12/2014 8:46 PM, richard wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 May 2014 19:46:44 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>
>>> On 5/12/2014 5:56 PM, richard wrote:
>>>> On 12 May 2014 20:48:31 GMT, your_email(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>>>>
>>>> > How can I use PHP to post new and reply to existing Usenet messages?
>>>>
>>>> First, learn how to properly post a question or article in usenet.
>>>> Your subject has nothing to do with the question asked.
>>>> Now ask your host if your hosting package can handle the task you want it
>>>> to do.
>>>> To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
>>>> newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to have a
>>>> dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.
>>>>
>>>> Sounds like a homework assignment.
>>>>
>>>
>>> Once again it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. A
>>> usenet client requires neither private newsgroups or a dedicated IP.
>>>
>>> And I doubt very much it's a homework assignment.
>>
>> I have already asked my hosts what is needed to do basically anything with
>> usenet on my site. They told me I needed a dedicated IP and a higher grade
>> package.
>> Yeah ok, you might get away with a dozen or so newsgroups.
>> But don't even consider trying to host 100,000 groups.
>>
>> White it can be done, and is done on many sites, I'm just saying this is
>> not something to tackle if you have no idea on where to begin.
>> Since the OP oculdn't even get the title of the post right, let alone the
>> email addy, ya think he's ready to tackle what he wants to do?
>> I think not.
>>
>> However, if I do ever want to host newsgroups on my site, I could very
>> easily.
>> I buy the service from newsguy, they install a perl script on my site and
>> I'm in business.
>>
>
> ROFLAMO! You don't even know the difference between a SERVER and a CLIENT.
>
> It's not that hard for someone INTELLIGENT to create a client in PHP;
> it's much harder for YOU to create ANYTHING - PHP or otherwise.

Ok smartboy, answer me this then.
You have one newsgroup that the public at large can have total, free access
to. You have a single account with a usenet service.
Ten days after you go online, suddenly it stops working.
Why? So the provider says, "Excessive bandwidth" and a number of other
reasons.
You dicker back and forth and come to find out they won't continue the
service because you are abusing the account TOS. So how do you rectify the
problem?
Pay some big bucks for a proper newsfeed and you'll be back in business.
Re: Message Subject [message #185872 is a reply to message #185870] Tue, 13 May 2014 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denis McMahon is currently offline  Denis McMahon
Messages: 634
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Tue, 13 May 2014 11:24:13 -0400, richard wrote:

> Excuse me kind sir, how do you post usenet messages from a website
> without hosting a group?

retrieve message from nntp server with nntp, format for display, display.

compose response in textarea, send to nntp server.

> Usenet is not part of a web hosting service.

Yes, we know that, doesn't mean you need to operate a full blown nntp
server to display newsgroup messages on web pages.

> Now how ya gonna tap into usenet?

see above

> You need a newsfeed from somewhere.

Yes, but this doesn't mean that you need to run an nntp daemon on the
webhost.

--
Denis McMahon, denismfmcmahon(at)gmail(dot)com
Re: Message Subject [message #185873 is a reply to message #185868] Tue, 13 May 2014 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denis McMahon is currently offline  Denis McMahon
Messages: 634
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Tue, 13 May 2014 11:08:25 -0400, richard wrote:

> On Mon, 12 May 2014 21:00:53 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 May 2014 17:56:49 -0400, richard <noreply(at)example(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
>>> newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to
>>> have a dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.
>>
>> To post a message to Usenet I need a dedicated IP and a 'server that
>> can handle NNTP"?
>>
>> Where do you come up with this stuff bullis?
>
> NO YOU do not.
> But if you wanted to host usenet newsgroups on your sebsite, then your
> hosting service will determine what you need.
> And you are an IT professional?
> There is a lot of stuff behind the scenes you need to know about before
> you tackle such a project. It ain't as simple as writing a few pages and
> hooking up to an account.
> Ya see Evan, I did all this research some 15 years ago and found out
> what it takes.

But the OP is not asking what you seem to think he's asking, so you made
one your famous ass assumptions about what he wants to do, and as a
result have posted a load of irrelevant bullshit.

The OP is asking how to post an nntp message using php. He didn't even
say "website", the website issue was one that you introduced to the
discussion.

--
Denis McMahon, denismfmcmahon(at)gmail(dot)com
Re: Message Subject [message #185874 is a reply to message #185871] Tue, 13 May 2014 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Stuckle is currently offline  Jerry Stuckle
Messages: 2598
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 5/13/2014 11:29 AM, richard wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 2014 20:52:28 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>
>> On 5/12/2014 8:46 PM, richard wrote:
>>> On Mon, 12 May 2014 19:46:44 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>>
>>>> On 5/12/2014 5:56 PM, richard wrote:
>>>> > On 12 May 2014 20:48:31 GMT, your_email(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>>>> >
>>>> >> How can I use PHP to post new and reply to existing Usenet messages?
>>>> >
>>>> > First, learn how to properly post a question or article in usenet.
>>>> > Your subject has nothing to do with the question asked.
>>>> > Now ask your host if your hosting package can handle the task you want it
>>>> > to do.
>>>> > To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
>>>> > newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to have a
>>>> > dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.
>>>> >
>>>> > Sounds like a homework assignment.
>>>> >
>>>>
>>>> Once again it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. A
>>>> usenet client requires neither private newsgroups or a dedicated IP.
>>>>
>>>> And I doubt very much it's a homework assignment.
>>>
>>> I have already asked my hosts what is needed to do basically anything with
>>> usenet on my site. They told me I needed a dedicated IP and a higher grade
>>> package.
>>> Yeah ok, you might get away with a dozen or so newsgroups.
>>> But don't even consider trying to host 100,000 groups.
>>>
>>> White it can be done, and is done on many sites, I'm just saying this is
>>> not something to tackle if you have no idea on where to begin.
>>> Since the OP oculdn't even get the title of the post right, let alone the
>>> email addy, ya think he's ready to tackle what he wants to do?
>>> I think not.
>>>
>>> However, if I do ever want to host newsgroups on my site, I could very
>>> easily.
>>> I buy the service from newsguy, they install a perl script on my site and
>>> I'm in business.
>>>
>>
>> ROFLAMO! You don't even know the difference between a SERVER and a CLIENT.
>>
>> It's not that hard for someone INTELLIGENT to create a client in PHP;
>> it's much harder for YOU to create ANYTHING - PHP or otherwise.
>
> Ok smartboy, answer me this then.
> You have one newsgroup that the public at large can have total, free access
> to. You have a single account with a usenet service.
> Ten days after you go online, suddenly it stops working.
> Why? So the provider says, "Excessive bandwidth" and a number of other
> reasons.
> You dicker back and forth and come to find out they won't continue the
> service because you are abusing the account TOS. So how do you rectify the
> problem?
> Pay some big bucks for a proper newsfeed and you'll be back in business.
>

Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the OPs question. But we know
you're too stoopid to understand that.


--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
jstucklex(at)attglobal(dot)net
==================
Re: Message Subject [message #185875 is a reply to message #185869] Tue, 13 May 2014 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Stuckle is currently offline  Jerry Stuckle
Messages: 2598
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 5/13/2014 11:17 AM, richard wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2014 03:03:20 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:
>
>> richard <noreply(at)example(dot)com> wrote in news:qmoc3d12qrto.v0eny3l0ddef$.dlg@
>> 40tude.net:
>>
>>> On 12 May 2014 20:48:31 GMT, your_email(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>>>
>>>> How can I use PHP to post new and reply to existing Usenet messages?
>>>
>>> First, learn how to properly post a question or article in usenet.
>>> Your subject has nothing to do with the question asked.
>>> Now ask your host if your hosting package can handle the task you want it
>>> to do.
>>
>> Tell me, Richard the Stupid, which hosts are not able to handle news clients.
>>
>>> To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
>>> newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to have a
>>> dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.
>>
>> Richard the Stupid, stop trying to answer questions about which you know nothing.
>>
>> He's basically asking how to construct a news client in PHP -- which most emphatically
>> does *not* require "a dedicated IP and a server that can handle NNTP".
>>
>>> Sounds like a homework assignment.
>>
>> Sounds like you need a glass navel to see where you're going.
>
> We are not speaking of clients here. That is not what the OP wants to know
> about.

Bullshit. We are talking clients here.

> Can your news client run directly off your website as is?
> I don't think so.
>

If I want to write one in PHP (like the OP does), it will.

> Aren't you one of the asswipes around here bitchin and whinin about how I
> insult you so much? So whay are you insulting me just for trying to educate
> someone?
>

Because you have no idea what you're talking about.

> If you can't stand the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen.
> If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
>

You should take your own advice.

> If I'm so stupid, why do I rtouinely get IQ test score of 125?
> Pres. Obabma is 105.
>

Yea, right.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
jstucklex(at)attglobal(dot)net
==================
Re: Message Subject [message #185882 is a reply to message #185873] Tue, 13 May 2014 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas 'PointedEars'  is currently offline  Thomas 'PointedEars'
Messages: 701
Registered: October 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Denis McMahon wrote:

> The OP is asking how to post an nntp message using php. He didn't even
> say "website", the website issue was one that you introduced to the
> discussion.

However, judging from the From header field value which violates the
pertinent standards in the first place (not to mention that it disregards
Netiquette), one can reasonably assume any helpful answers to this OP would
be feeding a troll or helping a spammer to spam Usenet more efficiently.

Indeed, someone who does not know Usenet well enough to know NNTP, and to
look up the pertinent sections of the PHP Manual, is neither qualified for
the task nor likely to do good things with that knowledge once obtained.
The spammer assumption on the OP aside, consider the number of incredibly
borken Web interfaces to Usenet (Google Groups included) which are *used by*
spammers and other lusers, the latter who have never heard of Usenet but
are thinking they are using a Web forum instead.


PointedEars
--
Prototype.js was written by people who don't know javascript for people
who don't know javascript. People who don't know javascript are not
the best source of advice on designing systems that use javascript.
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300dec7(at)news(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Re: Message Subject [message #185892 is a reply to message #185869] Tue, 13 May 2014 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doug Miller is currently offline  Doug Miller
Messages: 171
Registered: August 2011
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
richard <noreply(at)example(dot)com> wrote in news:1ojiej2ngu0mm.ac2s09t9fx76.dlg@
40tude.net:

> On Tue, 13 May 2014 03:03:20 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:
>
>> richard <noreply(at)example(dot)com> wrote in news:qmoc3d12qrto.v0eny3l0ddef$.dlg@
>> 40tude.net:
>>
>>> On 12 May 2014 20:48:31 GMT, your_email(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>>>
>>>> How can I use PHP to post new and reply to existing Usenet messages?
>>>
>>> First, learn how to properly post a question or article in usenet.
>>> Your subject has nothing to do with the question asked.
>>> Now ask your host if your hosting package can handle the task you want it
>>> to do.
>>
>> Tell me, Richard the Stupid, which hosts are not able to handle news clients.
>>
>>> To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
>>> newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to have a
>>> dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.
>>
>> Richard the Stupid, stop trying to answer questions about which you know nothing.
>>
>> He's basically asking how to construct a news client in PHP -- which most emphatically
>> does *not* require "a dedicated IP and a server that can handle NNTP".
>>
>>> Sounds like a homework assignment.
>>
>> Sounds like you need a glass navel to see where you're going.
>
> We are not speaking of clients here. That is not what the OP wants to know
> about.

Yes, it is *exactly* what the OP wants to know about: how to read and post on Usenet. That
is the definition of a news client.

> Can your news client run directly off your website as is?
> I don't think so.

Who said anything about websites?
>
> Aren't you one of the asswipes around here bitchin and whinin about how I
> insult you so much? So whay are you insulting me just for trying to educate
> someone?

Because you're providing incorrect answers to questions that were not asked.

> If you can't stand the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen.
> If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

You insult and abuse people from whom you seek help, without justification.

People here insult and abuse you with ample justification -- this thread is one more
example. You misunderstood the OP's question, and answered a question he did not ask --
and your answers were wrong.

> If I'm so stupid, why do I rtouinely get IQ test score of 125?

Because you're lying, I suppose -- and even if you're telling the truth about that, 125 is
*nothing* to brag about.

> Pres. Obabma is 105.

Uh-huh.
Re: Message Subject [message #185893 is a reply to message #185870] Tue, 13 May 2014 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doug Miller is currently offline  Doug Miller
Messages: 171
Registered: August 2011
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
richard <noreply(at)example(dot)com> wrote in news:goyh1zu78a36$.14bjnd0vlm1xb$.dlg@
40tude.net:

> On Tue, 13 May 2014 03:04:56 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:
>
>> richard <noreply(at)example(dot)com> wrote in news:afmu0nn6ay0a$.kg1klvs7gloe.dlg@
>> 40tude.net:
>>
>>> On Mon, 12 May 2014 19:46:44 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>>
>>>> On 5/12/2014 5:56 PM, richard wrote:
>>>> > On 12 May 2014 20:48:31 GMT, your_email(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>>>> >
>>>> >> How can I use PHP to post new and reply to existing Usenet messages?
>>>> >
>>>> > First, learn how to properly post a question or article in usenet.
>>>> > Your subject has nothing to do with the question asked.
>>>> > Now ask your host if your hosting package can handle the task you want it
>>>> > to do.
>>>> > To properly handle usenet, unless you just want to have a few private
>>>> > newsgroups for your own private use, most hosts will require you to have a
>>>> > dedicated IP and a server that can hanle NNTP.
>>>> >
>>>> > Sounds like a homework assignment.
>>>> >
>>>>
>>>> Once again it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. A
>>>> usenet client requires neither private newsgroups or a dedicated IP.
>>>>
>>>> And I doubt very much it's a homework assignment.
>>>
>>> I have already asked my hosts what is needed to do basically anything with
>>> usenet on my site. They told me I needed a dedicated IP and a higher grade
>>> package.
>>> Yeah ok, you might get away with a dozen or so newsgroups.
>>> But don't even consider trying to host 100,000 groups.
>>
>> He's not talking about trying to host even one group, Richard the Stupid. All he wants to
do
>> is read messages and post replies.
>>>
>>> White it can be done, and is done on many sites, I'm just saying this is
>>> not something to tackle if you have no idea on where to begin.
>>
>> LMAO! Look who's talking.
>
> Excuse me kind sir, how do you post usenet messages from a website without
> hosting a group?

Where did "website" come from? The OP never said anything about that.

In any event, it doesn't matter where you post messages from -- all that's needed is some
sort of client software that will send an NNTP message to a Usenet server. You don't have
to host groups to be able to post to them.

> Usenet is not part of a web hosting service.

Nobody claimed it was, Richard the Stupid.

> Now how ya gonna tap into usenet?
> You need a newsfeed from somewhere.

That doesn't mean you have to host anything. Newsfeeds are freely available from dozens
of sources. So what?
Re: Message Subject [message #185895 is a reply to message #185868] Wed, 14 May 2014 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan Platt is currently offline  Evan Platt
Messages: 124
Registered: November 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Tue, 13 May 2014 11:08:25 -0400, richard <noreply(at)example(dot)com>
wrote:

> NO YOU do not.

So you're contradicting what you just said?
You just stated I do.

> But if you wanted to host usenet newsgroups on your sebsite, then your
> hosting service will determine what you need.

Why would they do that? If it's my machine, I can whatever I want - as
you stated, it's all unlimited.

> And you are an IT professional?

Yes I am bullis, and it's obvious I know much more than you do.

> There is a lot of stuff behind the scenes you need to know about before you
> tackle such a project. It ain't as simple as writing a few pages and
> hooking up to an account.

*sigh*

> Ya see Evan, I did all this research some 15 years ago and found out what
> it takes.

And apparently you've forgotten all of what you learned.
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address.
Re: Message Subject [message #185896 is a reply to message #185895] Wed, 14 May 2014 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Natural Philosoph is currently offline  The Natural Philosoph
Messages: 993
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 14/05/14 05:32, Evan Platt wrote:
> Yes I am bullis, and it's obvious I know much more than you do.

Oh dear. What a difference a comma makes...



--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to
lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the
members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are
rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.
Re: Message Subject [message #185917 is a reply to message #185896] Wed, 14 May 2014 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan Platt is currently offline  Evan Platt
Messages: 124
Registered: November 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Wed, 14 May 2014 06:40:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp(at)invalid(dot)invalid> wrote:

> On 14/05/14 05:32, Evan Platt wrote:
>> Yes I am bullis, and it's obvious I know much more than you do.
>
> Oh dear. What a difference a comma makes...

LOL my bad.

Grammar. Makes the difference between "Let's eat Grandma" and "Let's
eat, grandma!"
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address.
Re: Message Subject [message #185923 is a reply to message #185869] Wed, 14 May 2014 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Colin Birch is currently offline  Colin Birch
Messages: 3
Registered: December 2013
Karma: 0
Junior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Tue, 13 May 2014 11:17:22 -0400, richard wrote:

>
> If I'm so stupid, why do I rtouinely get IQ test score of 125?

I think you've missed out the decimal point.

--
Colin Birch
http://www.railscans.co.uk
Re: Message Subject [message #185929 is a reply to message #185869] Wed, 14 May 2014 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denis McMahon is currently offline  Denis McMahon
Messages: 634
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Tue, 13 May 2014 11:17:22 -0400, richard wrote:

> If I'm so stupid, why do I rtouinely get IQ test score of 125?

I've always assumed the fact that I consistently score between 155 and
175 proves that the tests are rigged to indicate a higher score than they
should, mainly to encourage people to join mensa and pay their membership
fees.

--
Denis McMahon, denismfmcmahon(at)gmail(dot)com
Re: Message Subject [message #185963 is a reply to message #185869] Thu, 15 May 2014 12:08 Go to previous message
Evan Platt is currently offline  Evan Platt
Messages: 124
Registered: November 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Tue, 13 May 2014 11:17:22 -0400, richard <noreply(at)example(dot)com>
wrote:

> If I'm so stupid, why do I rtouinely get IQ test score of 125?

More bullshit. There's no way you're anywhere near 125.

Nothing you say is to be believed, bullis.
"I was deemed to <sic> smart to be a police officer."
"Yes I saw Wally Byam. In 1966, He was at the same campground I was
at." (Wally died in 1962).
"Yes, that's me in the opening of WKRP, driving the cab."
"You know how you can no longer cancel usenet posts? that's because of
me."

> Pres. Obabma is 105.

And you have a reference to back this claim up, right?
<Crickets>
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address.
Quick Reply
Formatting Tools:   
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: Playlist different from displayed list in source html code
Next Topic: How to get the POST name of a field in a form that uses a counter
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 23:45:06 EDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01133 seconds