FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Imported messages » comp.lang.php » Repository pattern implementation that knows nothing (Jon Snow) about the database table and column names
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Repository pattern implementation that knows nothing (Jon Snow) about the database table and column names [message #186366] Tue, 08 July 2014 15:47 Go to next message
qissolol is currently offline  qissolol
I've seen around the Internet and Github, implementations for the design pattern Repository that knows about database table and column names. I was think, if I want to work with the database as a plugin, that I can unplug and plug another respecting Open/Closed for the rest of my code, my repository should not know about the column names of the database I'm using. So how to implement this pattern in a way that it can transform the result from the database into a Entity of my domain, without knowing about the database table and column names?

As my main language is PHP, I saw that in Doctrine\ORM you can easily pass different yamls or xmls config files, mapping the column names to property names on the Entity, but... I cant be a hostage of a library implementation, if I want to implement raw PDO, or any other library for my repositories that doesn't make this hydration out-of-the-box, my implementation should do, so how?
Re: Repository pattern implementation that knows nothing (Jon Snow) about the database table and column names [message #186367 is a reply to message #186366] Tue, 08 July 2014 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Stuckle is currently offline  Jerry Stuckle
On 7/8/2014 11:47 AM, qissolol(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
> I've seen around the Internet and Github, implementations for the design pattern Repository that knows about database table and column names. I was think, if I want to work with the database as a plugin, that I can unplug and plug another respecting Open/Closed for the rest of my code, my repository should not know about the column names of the database I'm using. So how to implement this pattern in a way that it can transform the result from the database into a Entity of my domain, without knowing about the database table and column names?
>
> As my main language is PHP, I saw that in Doctrine\ORM you can easily pass different yamls or xmls config files, mapping the column names to property names on the Entity, but... I cant be a hostage of a library implementation, if I want to implement raw PDO, or any other library for my repositories that doesn't make this hydration out-of-the-box, my implementation should do, so how?
>

No, typically the repository DOES know about the table and column names
in the database; it's purpose is to separate the database definition
from the rest of the program so that only the repository depends on the
database. Change the database and change the repository, but the rest
of the code remains the same.

Without knowing the database information, the repository would have to
query the database definitions and internally build a description of the
database. This can easily be done (PhpMyAdmin, for instance, does it).
However, what this doesn't tell the program is exactly what's in each
column and how tables are related.

For instance, take a simple example (shortened for brevity):

TABLE employee
id
last_name
first_name

TABLE department
id
dept_name
manager_id

TABLE employee_department
employee_id
department_id

Now, you want a list of all employees managed by "John Doe". To a
person, constructing the query from the above definition would be
relatively easy. But it would be very complex for a program to do.

This could be done, as you found, by passing descriptions of the
database. But you don't want that.

All I can say is, good luck. It's something which has been dreamed
about for years, but no one has been able to implement except in very
limited circumstances.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
jstucklex(at)attglobal(dot)net
==================
Re: Repository pattern implementation that knows nothing (Jon Snow) about the database table and column names [message #186372 is a reply to message #186366] Wed, 09 July 2014 06:36 Go to previous message
Goran is currently offline  Goran
On 8.7.2014. 17:47, qissolol(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
> I've seen around the Internet and Github, implementations for the design pattern Repository that knows about database table and column names. I was think, if I want to work with the database as a plugin, that I can unplug and plug another respecting Open/Closed for the rest of my code, my repository should not know about the column names of the database I'm using. So how to implement this pattern in a way that it can transform the result from the database into a Entity of my domain, without knowing about the database table and column names?
>
> As my main language is PHP, I saw that in Doctrine\ORM you can easily pass different yamls or xmls config files, mapping the column names to property names on the Entity, but... I cant be a hostage of a library implementation, if I want to implement raw PDO, or any other library for my repositories that doesn't make this hydration out-of-the-box, my implementation should do, so how?
>

Yes, it's possible.

Firstly, you need to make a technology-agnostic model (no Doctrine
annotations, etc.), then repository interface.

Later, you can plug in whatever you want. That plugs are implementations...

Let's say, one implementation could be made using Doctrine 2 ORM.
Because your model is tech-agnostic, you can't use annotations to map
it, but nothing stop you to use external XML maps. Beside mapping, you
need to create a repository implementation using Doctrin 2 ORM. Here is
the skeleton of such implementation:

class DoctrineUserRepository implements UserRepository
{
private $doctrineRepository;

public function __construct(EntityRepository $doctrineRepository)
{
$this->doctrineRepository = $doctrineRepository;
}

// ...
}

Only things you should keep in mind are technology limitations - you
can't make naive model (without investigating Doctrine ORM limitations)
because you will encounter those limitations later (inheritance quirks,
compostite primary keys, value objects...)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: schemadb oleata test it
Next Topic: Help with Pear Soap Client to weather service
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu May 02 19:01:37 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02904 seconds