FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Missing message content after rebuild (Forum rebuilt but missing content)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Missing message content after rebuild [message #186750] Sat, 14 February 2015 12:49 Go to next message
timwalter is currently offline  timwalter   United Kingdom
Hi,

Help please.

My server was hacked so needed to rebuild it (Centos/Virtualmin/fudforum)

For obscure reasons (to me) I had to restore the domain in Virtualmin first, but the site didn't work. After various attempts to install or upgrade, I found the only way was to delete the old Fudforum folder and the forum folder, the do a fresh install, which gave me an empty 3.0.6 Fudforum. I then "imported" the mySQL database within mySQL (its the only way I could do it.) (I think this was a 3.0.4 version from memory.)

All is fine and dandy (Superficially at least) but two issues stand out. One, the forum name wasn't reinstated, and all the message **Content** is missing. The correct poster (via a mailing list) and their details etc are displayed but every post is empty. I can't see where in mysql the actual message posts are stored???

I'm guessing the latest forum database is slightly different from the previous version. I've tried "upgrading, consolidating etc" but still the same. ANy advice how to get the post contents back

http://www.emisnug.net

Many thanks
Re: Missing message content after rebuild [message #186751 is a reply to message #186750] Sat, 14 February 2015 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to restore the message files as well.
For details, see "All my messages are empty, what is wrong?" at FAQ.
Re: Missing message content after rebuild [message #186753 is a reply to message #186751] Sat, 14 February 2015 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks so much for the response, it seems to have partially worked but not sure I've got all the message files in the backup, I have about 6 totalling about 50Mb. I've recovered them and read/write access and some messages are now there. I can't work out how effective its been, is there a logical way of telling?

But thanks so much for the response.
Re: Missing message content after rebuild [message #186754 is a reply to message #186753] Sat, 14 February 2015 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is the response

od -a -j 49189695 -b 1380 msg_20000
od: 1380: No such file or directory
od: cannot skip past end of combined input

I presume there is a likelihood the file is corrupt. I've tried 2 backups and they seem to give the same... (Its 43Mb size started around March 2014)
Re: Missing message content after rebuild [message #186757 is a reply to message #186754] Sun, 15 February 2015 16:28 Go to previous message
The other issue is that the posts that are there appear out of sync with the posters etc. i.e. the text is in sequence in a thread, (I think on the ones I've checked) but individual messages often are cut in half and span two posts on the forum. (Most traffic is via mailing list integration BTW) Looks like I've lost about a yrs worth of posts

If you can see it, this thread is one of many examples.

http://www.emisnug.net/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=11116&&srch=p cs#msg_11116
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Using SourceForge's bug tracker (ticket system)
Next Topic: >> and how many pages it moves
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:04:20 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02496 seconds