FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Installing with MySQL 8 fails - No MyISAM engine
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Installing with MySQL 8 fails - No MyISAM engine [message #187925] Tue, 07 July 2020 14:49 Go to next message
interestinglyaverage is currently offline  interestinglyaverage   United States
Hi everyone, new to FUDforum after a client introduced it to me. I have tried to install it on Digital Ocean using MySQL 8 managed database, and the installation fails with various errors about not being able to drop tables. After investigating the installation script, the issue is in the table creations, where the installer forces the table to be MyISAM regardless of the default. Commenting this line out of the installer fixed the issue for me.

Is the use of MyISAM required for FUDforum to function correctly, or will the forum perform properly using InnoDB? This is the new default engine for MySQL, and would likely perform better for a high traffic forum as it is designed for more read/write as opposed to MyISAM which I understood to be more high read low write?
Re: Installing with MySQL 8 fails - No MyISAM engine [message #187926 is a reply to message #187925] Tue, 07 July 2020 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   
Administrator
Core Developer
MyISAM is not required Smile

I assume this is a relic of the past that needs to be expelled from the code.
Re: Installing with MySQL 8 fails - No MyISAM engine [message #187927 is a reply to message #187926] Tue, 07 July 2020 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interestinglyaverage is currently offline  interestinglyaverage   United States
Awesome. I did get the forum up and running by commenting out line 452 in FUDforum/include/dbadmin.inc.

By the way, I am fairly new to FUDforum, but I have been working on rewriting part of it for a client project (enabling composer support, PSR-4 namespaces, moving the database operations to objects, creating a TWIG based template system, separating out the views from the code, reducing code duplication are all done or in progress, next will be trying to move away from globals and fix some SQL injection issues I've noticed). I don't know how open you might be to code from the community, but if you were interested, I'd be willing to share what I have as I complete it. Please let me know.
Re: Installing with MySQL 8 fails - No MyISAM engine [message #187928 is a reply to message #187927] Tue, 07 July 2020 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   
Administrator
Core Developer
Very open! If you can produce better code or improved functionality, while maintaining a clear upgrade path for exiting forum owners, you will be a hero around here.
Re: Installing with MySQL 8 fails - No MyISAM engine [message #187940 is a reply to message #187928] Thu, 13 August 2020 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   United States
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi,

I trust you are well and that you are making good progress with your improvements.
Please let us know as soon as you have something we can add to the next release.

Regards.
Frank
Re: Installing with MySQL 8 fails - No MyISAM engine [message #187943 is a reply to message #187940] Wed, 02 September 2020 00:10 Go to previous message
GaryM is currently offline  GaryM   United States
I just saw this and echo Frank's comments. I would be very interested and would donate to improve client functionality.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: fudforum CI
Next Topic: This error is a bug with PCRE
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:17:35 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.60148 seconds