FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Upgrade problem? (2.6.2 -> 2.6.4)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Upgrade problem? (2.6.2 -> 2.6.4) [message #18937] Fri, 18 June 2004 06:04 Go to next message
Dark_Helmet is currently offline  Dark_Helmet   United States
I've run into some odd behavior after trying to upgrade from 2.6.2 to 2.6.4. Specifically, page layout is no longer consistent. For example, the login page:

The "box" containing the login boxes (username and pw), the legend, and forum statistics does not scale to fill the entire browser window. It appears that the box maxes out at about 512 pixel width (approximately half of my screen, and I run at 1024x768). A smaller browser window will cause it to resize correctly, but it will not expand to fill anything wider than 512.

The footer of the login page does not suffer the same problem. It expands and contracts as normal.

In addition to the resizing problem, text is no longer centered. The "current time" is not centered, and none of the text in in the footer is centered.

==================

After logging in, the display of forums seems to be ok (full screen width), but the text centering mentioned above is still a problem. However, when I click to enter a forum, the screen width problem appears again.

The page displayed appears to expand only to the width needed to display the navigation links at the top of the page (private messaging, members, search, etc.). This width is greater than the 512 mentioned before, though I don't have an estimate for the actual size.

The process I used to upgrade followed the documentation almost to the letter:
  1. download the 2.6.4 upgrade script
  2. untar the file
  3. move the upgrade.php file to my forum's web location
  4. manually disabled the forum
  5. ran the upgrade script (no errors that I saw)
  6. forced the consistency check
  7. executed the SQL optimization option (forget exactly what it was called; it was presented after the consistency check)
  8. re-enabled the forum

If I had any knowledge of HTML or PHP I would try to hunt this down myself. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 June 2004 06:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upgrade problem? (2.6.2 -> 2.6.4) [message #18943 is a reply to message #18937] Fri, 18 June 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
What browser are you using?

The login box is not intended to take an entire screen, it should take ~ 1/2 of the screen and be centered. I cannot replicate the layout issues you are reporting in any of the 4 browsers I got here.

IE, Mozilla, Opera and Konqueror

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade problem? (2.6.2 -> 2.6.4) [message #18959 is a reply to message #18943] Fri, 18 June 2004 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using Mozilla (1.2.1) and Firefox (0.8). Now that you mention it, I think I do remember the login box not taking the full width of the screen, but it was centered. I'll provide some screenshots to better illustrate what I'm seeing. I'll post a reply with a link to them momentarily.

Thank you for the help.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 June 2004 19:32]

Re: Upgrade problem? (2.6.2 -> 2.6.4) [message #18960 is a reply to message #18959] Fri, 18 June 2004 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are the screenshots (taken usign Mozilla 1.2.1 in Gnome)...

<link removed>
<link removed>
<link removed>
<link removed>
<link removed>

The screenshot in FUDforum_forum_list.png is the only one that appears to be like it was prior to the update. The others all have something slightly askew... mainly just the not centering bit, but the last one (viewing an actual topic), you can see the "tree view", "new topic", and "post reply" buttons are no longer flush with the right-hand side of the screen.

I've disabled anonymous access to the forum. If you'd like to investigate it first-hand, let me know, and I can create an account for you.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 June 2004 04:18]

Re: Upgrade problem? (2.6.2 -> 2.6.4) [message #18963 is a reply to message #18960] Fri, 18 June 2004 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
This looks like a browser bug to me, all I can tell you is that it works fine in 2 versions of Firefox 0.8 based on Mozilla 1.6 as well as all the other browsers I've mentioned.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade problem? (2.6.2 -> 2.6.4) [message #18967 is a reply to message #18937] Fri, 18 June 2004 23:15 Go to previous message
I downloaded and compiled mozilla 1.6, and it doesn't seem to suffer from the layout problem. So it looks like I just need to upgrade my browsers.

Sorry for the false alarm and thanks again for looking into it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: MSN Username
Next Topic: Old bug revisited?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 10 08:27:38 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02638 seconds