FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Plugins and Code Hacks » How do I get error messages?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon5.gif  How do I get error messages? [message #20327] Fri, 08 October 2004 07:51 Go to next message
johed802 is currently offline  johed802   Sweden
Hi,

I'm doing some additional features (hacks) to FUD forum. I go about my work like this:
*) I edit the files in the src/ directory (like register.php.t).
*) I go to the forum control panel as admin.
*) I go to theme management -> Rebuild theme

After this procedure I reload the forum. The problem is, if I did some mistake (code wise) in the first step, I don't get any message or compiling error. All I get is a blank screen Sad

Is there any way to see compiling errors?

thnx
/Johan

[Updated on: Fri, 08 October 2004 07:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How do I get error messages? [message #20330 is a reply to message #20327] Fri, 08 October 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abraxa is currently offline  Abraxa   Germany
If the error is in the PHP code you write then the FUDForum can't catch it since it only checks the syntax of the template files.

So if there's an error in your PHP code then PHP should report it - however some setting in your web server's system might prevent them from being shown.
To check that, make a file called phpinfo.php that contains only one line:
<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Save it and execute it from your web browser. Look for the error_reporting and display_error variables. The former should be greater than 0 and the latter should be "on", or "1".

If that's not the case and you can edit the php.ini file, set those values in there and try running your script again. If you can't access the php.ini file you could try setting those values by using .htaccess files: http://martin.f2o.org/php/portable

If PHP is set to report and display errors then it seems to me that you have problems with your HTML code that prevents anything from being shown.

Good luck,
-Soeren
Re: How do I get error messages? [message #20334 is a reply to message #20327] Fri, 08 October 2004 13:26 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Sounds like your modified script has a parse error in it.
After changing the source code, always do php -l script_name.php this will validate the script and tell you if there any parse errors in it.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: adding a 'simple' thing to FUD
Next Topic: another proposal: use DB to store post messages
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 13:32:26 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02644 seconds