FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Make the templates and data files searchable
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Make the templates and data files searchable [message #20387] Mon, 11 October 2004 23:29 Go to next message
mtowers is currently offline  mtowers   United States
I spend hours trying to navigate the directories to find files to edit or change. To me the structure is very confusing theme, thm, etc. I don't get the logic of the structure. It seems redundant. There are several directories for images. Would it be possible to consolidate them or at least name them slightly differently?
Re: Make the templates and data files searchable [message #20391 is a reply to message #20387] Tue, 12 October 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
No, because they are all different things and there is virtually no redundancy that you are talking about.

There is "source" thm directory were the template sets, i18n and help files are located and then there is the compiled templates inside the theme/ directory.

Each language has it's own set of images with translated button text for the language.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Make the templates and data files searchable [message #20402 is a reply to message #20387] Tue, 12 October 2004 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abraxa is currently offline  Abraxa   Germany
Quote:

I spend hours trying to navigate the directories to find files to edit or change.

For fast navigation I either recommend having seveal directories open in separate Explorer windows or using a file manager like FAR (which is a better remake of the good ol' Norton Commander than Norton's approach of making a win32 ever was), SpeedCommander or whatever you want to use.

Quote:

To me the structure is very confusing theme, thm, etc. I don't get the logic of the structure.

Yeah, I had the same problem at first. However that goes by fast once you start to actively fiddle around with things Smile
I'll write a little tutorial later so check that out if you want.

Quote:

It seems redundant. There are several directories for images. Would it be possible to consolidate them or at least name them slightly differently?

As Ilia said there is no redundancy because if you look at the pictures in /thm/default/images you will notice a difference to the pictures in i.e. /thm/default/i18n/english/img: the former are pictures without a language reference (= text) whereas the latter ones are only the images that require localization.

So you see, it all makes sense Smile

-Soeren
Re: Make the templates and data files searchable [message #20414 is a reply to message #20402] Wed, 13 October 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mtowers is currently offline  mtowers   United States
Clear as mud still but I will look at the detailed explanation you posted. I am sure I will have an epiphany any day now and it will all be clear. I can see that having a few windows open would help. I do a lot of UI testing professionally and I am not sure that there might not be some better ways to name things. I realize for folks comfortable at looking a code it is probably no big deal, for other it takes getting used to.
Re: Make the templates and data files searchable [message #20420 is a reply to message #20414] Wed, 13 October 2004 13:24 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The one thing that clearly could use improvement is commenting of templates. The templating system supports comments for every SECTION element, unfortunately due to time constraints not all of them have comments.

So, that's clearly one area for improvement.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Global forum icon
Next Topic: div.pre tweak
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon May 06 14:08:49 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04608 seconds