FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Quote style and stuff
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Quote style and stuff [message #21345] Fri, 26 November 2004 02:39 Go to next message
nayomie is currently offline  nayomie   United States
I was able to edit the css template to get rid of the background for [quote]. But, The word "quote" appears above the quoted text. Where can I get rid of that? I just want to have the ability to format like HTML <blockquote>.

Thanks
;>p
Re: Quote style and stuff [message #21349 is a reply to message #21345] Fri, 26 November 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
you need to edit the source for post_proc.php.t for that.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Quote style and stuff [message #21366 is a reply to message #21349] Sat, 27 November 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where do I find that? Please be specific.

Thanks!
;>p
Re: Quote style and stuff [message #21367 is a reply to message #21366] Sat, 27 November 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
search for the word quote inside that file.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Quote style and stuff [message #21376 is a reply to message #21349] Sat, 27 November 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 22:43

you need to edit the source for post_proc.php.t for that.

That's the problem. Where's that file? What's .t? I kept looking in all of the post, post_common, post_opt, etc. templates and can't find the right spot to edit. I found some stuff for FUDquote but when I commented it out, the problem still persists (word "quote" or "nameX wrote..." appears above the quote)

thanks
;>p
Re: Quote style and stuff [message #21377 is a reply to message #21376] Sat, 27 November 2004 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
it is inside the src/ directory.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Quote style and stuff [message #21381 is a reply to message #21377] Sun, 28 November 2004 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, yes. I found it - Thanks.

But, I've been having trouble with some folders in my forum directories. When I tried to transfer that file to my desktop for editing, I get a message that permission is denied. That also happens when I try to pull up items from other folders.

Is this something I need to resolve with my host or is this something that is built in to FUD and I can change through admin or something?

Working on the back end is fairly new to me so I do appreciate your help. The FUDforum and forum folders are set to 777 so I assume that everything in them should also be writable as well, but they are not. I tried resetting the numeric value in the subdirectories but access was denied to do that as well.

Thanks.
;>p

Re: Quote style and stuff [message #21383 is a reply to message #21381] Sun, 28 November 2004 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The forum's files are "locked" by default. You need to use the admin control panel (file lock/unlock) to unlock them.

FUDforum Core Developer
What happened!? [message #21433 is a reply to message #21383] Tue, 30 November 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went into admin and saw that files appeared to be unlocked but because I still couldn't access files, I put in my password and hit "unlock",

I tried to transfer a file but it failed. When I went to go back to the forum I can't log in and get these messages:

Warning: Unknown(/usr/www/users/weblynxd/frugal/forum/index.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0

Warning: (null)(): Failed opening '/usr/www/users/weblynxd/frugal/forum/index.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0

I changed the name of the original forum and installed a new concurrent forum (same version). I entered the name of the old database in the new forum hoping it would connect to that. Have I lost everything or is there some way to get out of this mess?

Please be specific as possible because I'm feeling pretty clueless right now. :>(

[Updated on: Tue, 30 November 2004 05:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What happened!? [message #21441 is a reply to message #21433] Tue, 30 November 2004 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
what version of the forum are you using?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: What happened!? [message #21451 is a reply to message #21441] Tue, 30 November 2004 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
version is 2.6.6

OK - I might have messed things up even further - or maybe not.

I got the interface back up, but unfortunately I did not create a data dump before this happened. I think my data has to be somewhere. I tried to reregister in the new interface, but it says that an email address is already associated with that user. ( I entered the old database in forum admin - I just can't seem to access it - I imagine the files are somewhere on my host server )

I know - this is very noobish. *argh*
Re: What happened!? [message #21452 is a reply to message #21451] Tue, 30 November 2004 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
All the data is still there, you haven't lost anything.

Basically you need to re-chmod the forum's files.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: What happened!? [message #21453 is a reply to message #21452] Tue, 30 November 2004 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does that mean I set the /forum and FUDforum directories to 777 again?

What did that error message mean? Will the forum reappear as it was after I chmod?

At this point I'm hesitant to unlock files ever again - how'd this all happen?

Your assistance is appreciated.

;>p

[Updated on: Tue, 30 November 2004 17:24]

Re: What happened!? [message #21454 is a reply to message #21453] Tue, 30 November 2004 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
There is a bug in that code on certain version of Redhat/Fedora which was fixed in later FUDforum releases.

The current fix would be to chmod all of the forum's files 666 and directories 777.

Ex.
find /forum/dir -type f | xargs chmod 666
find /forum/dir -type d | xargs chmod 777

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: What happened!? [message #21455 is a reply to message #21454] Tue, 30 November 2004 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK - I'll have to try that when I get home from work and I'll post again if I can't pull things up.

If I get this up should I upgrade to a later release? How will I preserve all the templates that are currently tweaked the way I want them?

in the meantime - thanks
Re: What happened!? [message #21459 is a reply to message #21455] Tue, 30 November 2004 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yeah you definately should upgrade.

If your customizations were inside header/footer tmpl then nothing will change. Other templates that you modified would be backuped by the upgrade process.

FUDforum Core Developer
Can't chmod [message #21463 is a reply to message #21452] Wed, 01 December 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK - when I look at my directories through FTP I see that forum and FUDforum are already 777 as well as the subdirectories. But, when I look in FUDforum/files at the individual files, there are no permissions at all - so I guess the bug is that the "unlock files" button erased the permissions. This is the case in ALL of the directories.

So then , I go as far at seeing the files in Telnet, but when I go to chmod files, the operation is not permitted. What next?

Hmmmm, I don't know much, but I'm geussing I can't change something that's not there to begin with. Is there a command to set the mode for files?

If so, what would the exact command be to set the mode for all files in a directory all at once? Is that possible?

Is it possible to import the data from the original forum into the new setup? Where would I find what needs to be imported?

So many questions - sorry! I'm nearly ready to throw in the towel, take a data loss and have users re-register. *argh*

[Updated on: Wed, 01 December 2004 02:46]

Re: Can't chmod [message #21475 is a reply to message #21463] Wed, 01 December 2004 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
There is no need to take the data loss, since no data was actually lost. The permissions were changed by a web script, and you'll need a web script to restore them.

One way is to ask you ISP to chmod all the forum files in the manner indicated in my previous e-mail.

Another way is to make a quick PHP script to try to do the same.
Ex.
<?php
shell_exec
("find /forum/dir -type f | xargs chmod 666");
shell_exec("find /forum/dir -type d | xargs chmod 777");
?>

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Can't chmod [message #21484 is a reply to message #21475] Wed, 01 December 2004 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yesterday I was on the phone with my ISP and they were unsuccessful in running a chmod. *sigh*

If I do a script like that, where would I install it to? could it be installed in the FUDforum or forum directory? Would it then set all folders to 777 and all the files in them to 666 or would it have to be run in each folder?

Is there a way to do this through telnet? And if so, can it be done in one swoop in the forum and FUDforum folders? What exactly would I type into the command line when I get to the prompt to show the forum directory? (or the subdirectory)

I'll have to check in again later when I get home from work.

Thanks
Re: Can't chmod [message #21485 is a reply to message #21484] Wed, 01 December 2004 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
They (the ISP) need to run the chmod as the "root" user.

The PHP script can be placed in any web directory and then executed via the browser. Be sure that you change the script to reflect you forum installation dir.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Can't chmod [message #21508 is a reply to message #21485] Wed, 01 December 2004 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK - I contacted my ISP again and they chmod-ed all my directories and files (that also includes all of the sub and sub/sub directories), but I still get this error messsage when I try to get to the forum. What's wrong now? Does index.php need to be executable? Are there anyother files that need to be executable - right now all files are just read/write and just directories are 777.

Quote:

Warning: main(/usr/www/users/weblynxd/frugal/forum/theme/default/index.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/weblynxd/frugal/forum/index.php on line 1148

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '/usr/www/users/weblynxd/frugal/forum/theme/default/index.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /usr/www/users/weblynxd/frugal/forum/index.php on line 1148

A question - they suggested using a cgi-wrap and chmod-ing everything to 755 so I'd show as the "owner". Will FUD work with that?

Thanks

[Updated on: Wed, 01 December 2004 22:08]

Re: Can't chmod [message #21509 is a reply to message #21508] Wed, 01 December 2004 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
that would be fine.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Can't chmod [message #21511 is a reply to message #21509] Thu, 02 December 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK - so I can do the cgi-wrap, right? But what is wrong that I'm getting this error message. Is that because that particular file isn't executable or will I need to edit something?

This is the error meassage again:

Quote:

Warning: main(/usr/www/users/weblynxd/frugal/forum/theme/default/index.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/weblynxd/frugal/forum/index.php on line 1148

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '/usr/www/users/weblynxd/frugal/forum/theme/default/index.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /usr/www/users/weblynxd/frugal/forum/index.php on line 1148

Thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 02 December 2004 01:22]

Re: Can't chmod [message #21512 is a reply to message #21511] Thu, 02 December 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
the file needs to readable by the forum user, the error you are seeing is because the use the forum is running as does not have permissions to the file(s).

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Can't chmod [message #21513 is a reply to message #21512] Thu, 02 December 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm, I don't understand what you mean. What needs to be done to fix that? Please be specific.

Will that be resolved once the files are all chmod-ed to 755 and in my CGI-bin?

thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 02 December 2004 02:08]

Re: Can't chmod [message #21530 is a reply to message #21513] Thu, 02 December 2004 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
On your system PHP runs as a certain user account, in order for the forum to work that user account MUST have read access to the forum's files.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Can't chmod [message #21535 is a reply to message #21530] Thu, 02 December 2004 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK - I'll call my ISP when I get home from work. How did this get changed if everything was working before? Everything went belly-up after I hit the "unlock files" button in the CP. You say this bug is fixed in a later version.

Which upgrade should I install? - I'm hesitant because I keep reading about others losing their templates.

thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 02 December 2004 16:53]

Re: Can't chmod [message #21536 is a reply to message #21535] Thu, 02 December 2004 16:54 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
You never lose templates since the forum backs up any of templates it replaces. The best version is 2.6.9RC1 at this moment and RC2 will be out no later then Monday.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: forum group howto
Next Topic: Merging Duplicate User id's
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:59:52 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02759 seconds