FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Merging Duplicate User id's
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Merging Duplicate User id's [message #21584] Sun, 05 December 2004 18:56 Go to next message
srchild is currently offline  srchild   United Kingdom
I'm wondering how easy it will be to merge users with duplicate id's into one id?

I've disabled private messaging, so I think that all it might involve is updating the poster_id in table msg, and of course the users in table users?

So I'm thinking that if user id 23 and user id 57 are the same person, I could do something like updating all lines in table msg where poster_id = 23 and change it to 57, then delete user 23 from table users.

Or will that mess everything up because I forgot to change it somewhere else as well...??

Background: I'm importing messages from two yahoogroups. In all of these the email address is obscured by having the right-hand side converted to @n... (where n is a single letter a-z). So as I import these I shall have users autocreated with invalid email addresses. I could go through and update these to make them the live users, but I'm planning on importing the second group later than the first and so this will recreate all the invalid id's as duplicates of the real ones. So I'm thinking to let there be invalid id's for a while, and later merge them with the active registered users (where I can identify them, which is nearly all)

Comments?

Simon Child
Re: Merging Duplicate User id's [message #21587 is a reply to message #21584] Sun, 05 December 2004 20:10 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
For the most part you have the right idea, but you need to update a few more tables when merging the users.

private messages table,
attachment table
and poll tables.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Quote style and stuff
Next Topic: Stick posts
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:55:50 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08493 seconds