FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » How about Chat
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
How about Chat [message #22680] Thu, 10 February 2005 22:29 Go to next message
Anonymous   United States
How about a online chat inside the messageboard?
Re: How about Chat [message #22700 is a reply to message #22680] Fri, 11 February 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JamesS is currently offline  JamesS   United States
Umm, isn't that the point of a messageboard?
Re: How about Chat [message #22715 is a reply to message #22680] Fri, 11 February 2005 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A LIVE chat with other members that are currently LIVE on the board!
Re: How about Chat [message #22719 is a reply to message #22680] Fri, 11 February 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.irchelp.org/
icon13.gif  Re: How about Chat [message #22767 is a reply to message #22719] Tue, 15 February 2005 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What, are you an idiot? I am talking about adding a button to the menu on the pages that has [CHAT] as an option DESIGNED for this fud, NOT an externial.
So far I am not impressed with this app, seems there are no REAL hacks; calendar, chat, etc... And the support is slow and am getting answers from "junior members" or newbies..where are the programers or admins that shouls be answering these questions and creating these add-ins? I mean, you do ask for suggestions. Might I suggest you take a more active roll in this product if you want it to stay alive? I know its free but I would pay for a good board with add-ins and a "active" support staff... So my advice to anyone looking for BBS would be, "keep looking".
Re: How about Chat [message #22769 is a reply to message #22767] Tue, 15 February 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
This software is open sourece if you want some feature you can always write the "addon" yourself and if your programming skills not up to the task hire someone to do it for you. A forum is a bulletin board, not a swiss army knife of web utilities, like chats, calendars, e-mail apps etc... Therefor these are not included and will not be included in the standard distro.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How about Chat [message #22771 is a reply to message #22680] Tue, 15 February 2005 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My point was that if you want real-time chat it is already available; the IRC has been around since 1990. A web forum is not meant to be a replacement for it. A web forum is for static discussions with clearly defined topics.

If you want a real-time chat on your website I would recommend starting an IRC channel on some established network and adding PJIRC to your site. It is the easiest solution to your problem.

Also, I have been using FUDforum for almost three years now. I know a little bit about the software and can safely answer questions such as yours. I am willing to bet that Ilia didn't take the time to respond because sufficient information had been given as to why it would not be implemented in the forum software. So, next time you want to insult me why don't you add your name to it instead of using the Anonymous account?
Re: How about Chat [message #23712 is a reply to message #22771] Sun, 27 March 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   United Kingdom
If you want a calendar or chat app, might I suggest you visit the following links.

http://www.jtr.de/scripting/php/calendar/index_eng.html
http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/PHP/A-Useful-Event-Calendar-Written-In-PHP/
http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/MySQL/A-MySQL-Driven-Chat-Script/
Re: How about Chat [message #38819 is a reply to message #22771] Thu, 30 August 2007 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
leapfrogmr is currently offline  leapfrogmr   United States
JamesS - my organization is interested in incorporating some kind of basic IM or Chat function into our Forum and I found your post from 2 years ago. Is what you explained here (PJIRC) still the best way to add a chat/IM feature? Are you the kind of person who could set this up for a non-techie group like ours?
Thanks for your help.
Re: How about Chat [message #38822 is a reply to message #22680] Thu, 30 August 2007 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Without doing any new research, I'm going to say yes. All PJIRC is, if I remember correctly, is a java IRC client applet that you can embed in a web page. You can specify the default server and channel it should connect to, thus implementing your own "chat" service. Of course, your members could still use their own IRC client.
Re: How about Chat [message #38823 is a reply to message #38822] Thu, 30 August 2007 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
leapfrogmr is currently offline  leapfrogmr   United States
Thanks! I'm going to see if we can figure out how to do what you suggest, and if we can't figure it out I may be back to see if we can hire you to implement it for us . . . if you're open to that kind of thing. Thanks again!
Re: How about Chat [message #40319 is a reply to message #38823] Sun, 10 February 2008 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BAD35th is currently offline  BAD35th   Canada
I added a chat to my forum using an external web app http://www.cbox.ws/ very easy to add it to the forums footer or header templates and it works great ! Very little maintenance.

If you scroll to bottom of our forum you can see it in action:

www.forums.tfbm.org

If anyone figures how to integrate it with FUDs user login let me know as that would be a nice to have, then people wouldn't have to enter their user names manually when they wish to chat. The functionality is in the software and its been done for VBB but not FUD.

[Updated on: Sun, 10 February 2008 03:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How about Chat [message #40320 is a reply to message #40319] Sun, 10 February 2008 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
To integrate FUDforum with other systems you should use FUDAPI that provides login/logout API.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How about Chat [message #40478 is a reply to message #22680] Sun, 09 March 2008 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
I will not test this, so unsure if it will work.

Here is the code for the input boxes in your chatbox thingy:
<td valign="center" height="100%" align="center" id="tblmid" colspan="2">
<input type="hidden" value="" name="key"/>
<input type="text" onblur="frmblur(this, 'name');" onfocus="frmfocus(this, 'name');nme_warn()" class="frmtb" value="name" size="9" name="nme" maxlength="25" style="width: 577px;"/>
<input type="text" onblur="frmblur(this, 'message')" onfocus="frmfocus(this, 'message')" class="frmtb" value="message" size="9" name="pst" maxlength="200" style="width: 544px;"/><input type="submit" class="frmbtn" name="sub" value="Go" style="height: 20px; width: 29px;"/></td>

The one that looks like this, is what stores the username:
<input type="text" onblur="frmblur(this, 'name');" onfocus="frmfocus(this, 'name');nme_warn()" class="frmtb" value="name" size="9" name="nme" maxlength="25" style="width: 577px;"/>

Let's now write a FUD template code to check if a user is logged in, and if the user is logged in, we will not display this input box, but rather just type out the username of the forum user. Great idea batman!

So, we wrap this code around the username field:
{IF: _uid}
<input type="hidden" value="{VAR: usr->alias}" name="nme"/>
{VAR: usr->alias}<br />
{ELSE}
{END}

See what I did there?
First i checked if the user was logged in with {IF: _uid}.
If he was, I placed his alias as the value of the input field, and then typed out his alias on the screen.

Then we did ELSE (if not logged in) we wrote the old regular input field and then we ENDED the IF check.

Perhaps the IF and END wont work in that locating since it could be wrappen in some other IF thingies, but I think it should work fine in the footer.

[Updated on: Sun, 09 March 2008 10:43]

Re: How about Chat [message #40492 is a reply to message #40478] Mon, 10 March 2008 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BAD35th is currently offline  BAD35th   Canada
This looks very interesting...thanks Ernesto !!

I will have to see if I can try doing a test and will let you know how it works out.
Re: How about Chat [message #158516 is a reply to message #22680] Sun, 01 March 2009 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   Canada
Hi all - as far as chat functionality, has anyone seen phpFreeChat yet? Looks useful, and they've got tutorials for integrating it into several other BBS softwares and Wikis on their site.

I personally don't know php from a hole in the ground, but it seems if we can get some code that works to integrate their chat software into FUDForum and send it to them for posting in their FAQs, future requests for chat functionality could simply be referred there.
Re: How about Chat [message #158520 is a reply to message #158516] Sun, 01 March 2009 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
See instructions at http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/PhpFreeChat

If it works, we can let them know to update their FAQ.
Re: How about Chat [message #158524 is a reply to message #158520] Sun, 01 March 2009 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   Canada
Beautiful, Frank, thanks! FUDForum's really going places nowadays thanks to your work.
Re: How about Chat [message #158667 is a reply to message #158524] Wed, 11 March 2009 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The phpFreeChat FAQ was updated. See http://www.phpfreechat.net/faq#how-to-connect-fudforum-nicknames-to-phpfree chat
Re: How about Chat [message #159409 is a reply to message #22680] Sun, 31 May 2009 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dfgngirl is currently offline  dfgngirl   United States
phpfreechat's FAQ says:

Quote:
Add the phpFreeChat code to your FUDforum template (either header.tmpl or footer.tmpl) and rebuild your theme when done.

Is that this code?

require_once dirname(__FILE__)."/src/phpfreechat.class.php";
$params["serverid"]             = md5(__FILE__);
$params["title"]                = "FUDforum chat";
$params["channels"]             = array("FUDforum support", "General chitchat");
$params["language"]             = "en_US";
$params["nick"]                 = $fuduser->alias;
$params["start_minimized"]      = true;
$chat = new phpFreeChat( $params );

This didn't work for me. Has it worked for others?
Re: How about Chat [message #159410 is a reply to message #159409] Sun, 31 May 2009 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Have you rebuilt the theme as per the instructions? Anyway, what does "this didn't work for me" mean? Did it do nothing or did it produce an error or some kind of strange behavior?
Re: How about Chat [message #159411 is a reply to message #22680] Sun, 31 May 2009 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going to say that what "this didn't work for me" meant that there were no error messages of any kind, but rather it didn't seem to have an effect of integrating with Fud.

But now that I think about it, I should probably try other demo templates with this script as right now the phpfreechat's page has a dialog asking for a username. I will try it with a version that doesn't ask and see what happens.

PS: I did rebuild themes.

[Updated on: Sun, 31 May 2009 19:02]

Re: How about Chat [message #159423 is a reply to message #22680] Tue, 02 June 2009 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I tried to get this to work. But nadda.

It doesn't error; it just doesn't do anything of value.

I think the problem is I have no clue as to what I add to Fud?

I asked above what code was supposed to be in either header.tmpl or footer.tmpl, but I still have no idea what I add to header.tmpl or footer.tmpl.
Re: How about Chat [message #159539 is a reply to message #22680] Mon, 08 June 2009 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So this page here http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/PhpFreeChat says:

Quote:
FUDforum changes

Add the phpFreeChat code to your FUDforum template (either header.tmpl or footer.tmpl) and rebuild your theme when done.

So it says to add "the phpFreeChat code to your FUDforum template". But what code? Can somebody list an example?

I'm totally and completely lost. Sad
Re: How about Chat [message #159542 is a reply to message #159539] Mon, 08 June 2009 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Quote:
So it says to add "the phpFreeChat code to your FUDforum template". But what code? Can somebody list an example?

I haven't tested it myself, so you will have to figure it out by yourself. The easiest, obviously, would be to embed a link to a page with the phpFreeChat code. If not, the code may clash with FUDforum's code, in which case you may need to use a namespace (PHP >= 5.3) to isolate the components.
Re: How about Chat [message #159544 is a reply to message #159542] Mon, 08 June 2009 21:27 Go to previous message
OK, thanks.

I thought there might be some special code to embed in the Fud header and I just wasn't figuring it out.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Anchors
Next Topic: Blocking User PM's
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed May 15 09:16:24 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02834 seconds