FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Java formatting
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Java formatting [message #2574] Sat, 11 May 2002 23:46 Go to next message
stormalong is currently offline  stormalong   United States
Java's a little out of my league but, here goes.....

When a url is inserted into a post via the link button, it comes up like...http://fud.prohost.org/download.php, which can be done without the link button (autoparsing?).

My question is, is it possible to use the link button and have the url post like......THIS

"You can just think of t-rex as the 8000lb roadrunner from hell"
Re: Java formatting [message #2577 is a reply to message #2574] Sun, 12 May 2002 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
If we autoparse a url we have no place to read the link title from, so it is defaulted to the url itself. If you want to title the url, use the [url=] syntax.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Java formatting [message #2579 is a reply to message #2574] Sun, 12 May 2002 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suppose allowing for the insertion of a title would make it a two step process anyway. However, it would help those who don't think to alter the syntax or don't know how. Especially for links like......

http://fud.prohost.org/forum/post.php?th_id=457&reply_to=2574&rid=1 89&S=81811eaba496058f7f60dee198f18ec1&start=0&returnto=msg.php% 3Fth%3D457%26start%3D0%26prevloaded%3D1%26rid%3D189%26S%3D81811eaba496058f7 f60dee198f18ec1 Very Happy

Re: Java formatting [message #2580 is a reply to message #2574] Sun, 12 May 2002 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
esm2002 is currently offline  esm2002   United States
You can add a description to your URL by using the following syntax inside the [URL] feature

URL=http://www.myhomepage.com]My Homepage[/URL
( don't forget the opening [ before URL= and the closing ] after [/URL

this code will result in the following:

My Homepage

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: Java formatting [message #2586 is a reply to message #2580] Sun, 12 May 2002 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exactly, like the example in my post at the top. My suggestion was to perhaps automate the process a bit as is done elsewhere. Some folks don't know how to alter the tags.

Re: Java formatting [message #2594 is a reply to message #2574] Sun, 12 May 2002 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I think I finally understand what your referring to. You want the JavaScript to allow the user to enter the description for the tag, correct?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Java formatting [message #2598 is a reply to message #2574] Sun, 12 May 2002 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. It functions perfectly as it is of course, I just thought allowing for title insertion would make a nice addition.

Re: Java formatting [message #2697 is a reply to message #2594] Fri, 17 May 2002 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Sun, 12 May 2002 9:09 AM

I think I finally understand what your referring to. You want the JavaScript to allow the user to enter the description for the tag, correct?

You never gave an opinion on this, and I was wondering whether you were planning on implementing it or not. If not then I might look into it myself. Nothing beats a try but a failure eh? Grin

Re: Java formatting [message #2701 is a reply to message #2697] Fri, 17 May 2002 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, after analyzing the situation I'v reached a certain conclusion in regard to this feature.

Current implementation of this feature is 2 fold 1 for IE and one for the rest of the browser which unfortunately do not support a certain feature.

In IE if you select a text and then click on the URL link once the URL is created the text you've selected will become the description of that url. Effectively doing what you set out to do with the "double question" javascript. Other browser which do not support this feature insert the plain URL tags for which you need to enter the description manually.
IMHO doing a 2 level JavaScript promt is a little aquard and would be annoying for the user. I think that other browser will soon implement the capabilities that would permit us to determine the selected text inside a text box and implement IE like functionality in for those browsers as well.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Java formatting [message #2702 is a reply to message #2701] Fri, 17 May 2002 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm, perhaps you're right. I've gotten so used to the 2-step process that I don't notice it anymore, but I remember that it used to really bug me.

Re: Java formatting [message #2703 is a reply to message #2702] Fri, 17 May 2002 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

stormalong wrote on Fri, 17 May 2002 12:16 PM

Hmmmm, perhaps you're right. I've gotten so used to the 2-step process that I don't notice it anymore, but I remember that it used to really bug me.

When designing FUD's front end me and prottoss usually hotly argue on and on about how it's best to implement a certain feature, but usually at the end it turns out to be the best of any forums because so much of our "blood" is on it Razz...

For example, when we went to develop this whole FUDcode javascript we looked around to see how others have done it, and really found it awkward, so we went out and did it our way, however we noticed some forums are now doing it the same way... so, this proves us right Smile..
[/rantoff] Smile

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault

[Updated on: Fri, 17 May 2002 21:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Java formatting [message #2718 is a reply to message #2703] Sat, 18 May 2002 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think Fud has turned out great, so I guess your system of 'argumentation' is working like a champ... Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 18 May 2002 04:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Java formatting [message #2720 is a reply to message #2718] Sat, 18 May 2002 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

stormalong wrote on Sat, 18 May 2002 12:51 AM

I think Fud has turned out great, so I guess your system of 'argumentation' is working like a champ... Very Happy

I know, but for our next argument I'm going to bring a baseball bat Smile

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Java formatting [message #26980 is a reply to message #2580] Wed, 24 August 2005 00:11 Go to previous message
Anonymous   Netherlands
esm2002 wrote on Sat, 11 May 2002 21:01

You can add a description to your URL by using the following syntax inside the [URL] feature<br><br>URL=http://www.myhomepage.com]My Homepage[/URL<br>( don't forget the opening [ before URL= and the closing ] after [/URL<br><br>this code will result in the following:<br><br><a href="http://www.myhomepage.com" target=_new>My Homepage</a>[/quote]
Previous Topic: FUD code internal links
Next Topic: Topic notifications
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 02:01:55 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01899 seconds